Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40-2 Hood, accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Helios 40-2 Hood, accessories Reply with quote

Just picked up a Helios 40-2 in fairly rough condition on eBay. Very excited, but it's only coming with the tripod ring and the front lens cap. The back cap isn't an issue; I'll be putting an EF adapter & back cap on it. But I was looking into possibly getting hoods and filters for it, along with a possible lens bag/case. Fortunately it seems it just uses a standard 67mm thread, so there's plenty out there to choose from.

For those of you that have experience with it, is a hood necessary for this lens? Does it do much for the flare? If so, do you have any particular suggestions for what sort to get? I don't think one of the 'Tulip' styles would be the best idea, since M42-Canon EF adapters tend to seat the lenses slightly crooked for easier access to aperture dials, and I think the off-center Tulip would drive me nuts. Are the retractable rubber ones any good? Or would I be better off getting a hard plastic model?

I may also get a UV filter for protective purposes, but unsure there.

Also, does anyone know of a particular aftermarket lens bag/case that will fit this lens well? There are some original 40-2 lens cases out there for sale, but they're incredibly expensive, and I'd rather put that dough to use buying other lenses or audio equipment. I thought maybe one of the "large" sized neoprene cases would fit, but this thing is such a beast I'm unsure.

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the stock lens cap? It looks like the kind that grips onto the outside rather than the inside filter threading. Does it generally stay on well despite this?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 40-2 Hood, accessories Reply with quote

abe in space wrote:

For those of you that have experience with it, is a hood necessary for this lens?

yes, vital

Quote:
Does it do much for the flare?

yes, unless you obviously have the light source in the frame

Quote:
If so, do you have any particular suggestions for what sort to get? I don't think one of the 'Tulip' styles would be the best idea, since M42-Canon EF adapters tend to seat the lenses slightly crooked for easier access to aperture dials, and I think the off-center Tulip would drive me nuts. Are the retractable rubber ones any good? Or would I be better off getting a hard plastic model?

Tulips are best left in the fields
and no plastic, for Cartier-Bresson's sake
your lens is heavy, it deserves a metal round hood. It will save your lens in the unfortunate case of falling, because it's weight will
make the lens fall on the front instead of the back, and because it will absorb the shock and protect the filter ring (and of course also the glass)

Quote:
I may also get a UV filter for protective purposes, but unsure there.

Only if you are the kind who treats lenses badly, throwing them in the bag without minding for caps etc.
or, only if you go to places like seashores or desert where elements can hurt.
otherwise, better no UV filter, because they increase the chances of flare, can reduce contrast, and if your lens
falls on the ground with a UV filter on it, the filter will break and the fragments of sharp broken glass can ruin
your front lens much more than any other material including road surface would.
Better protection is a good solid round metal hood only.

Quote:
Lastly, does anyone have experience with the stock lens cap? It looks like the kind that grips onto the outside rather than the inside filter threading. Does it generally stay on well despite this?

It should. If it doesn't, cut a suitable strip of felt and glue it to the inside border of the cap.
Make sure that glue is perfectly dry before using the cap on the lens.

Last edited by Orio on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Not necessarily to shoot with hood, if you not shoot directly against sun , will be no flare. I had 3 times this lens , none of them had hood, even if I bought looks factory complette mint set.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats! Not necessarily to shoot with hood, if you not shoot directly against sun , will be no flare. I had 3 times this lens , none of them had hood, even if I bought looks factory complette mint set.

I had four copies of this lens, if sun is lateral it will definitely cause flare
(by flare I mean veil of diffused light, not the iris ghosts, which you can get only if the sun is in the frame)
My first day at the Carnival of Busseto with the Helios-40-2, I had to trash half of the photos I took
because the sun low on the horizon did veil with flare half of my photos, even if I did not notice that
in my 400D's tiny viewfinder.
I did curse a lot that evening Rolling Eyes because I could have saved all those photos with simply a hood, and because the photos
where sun was behind my back were the sharpest that I ever took at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year: 2007
at the Carnevale di Busseto

Example of photo taken with Helios-40-2 no hood and sun out of the way:

Examples of photos taken with Helios-40-2 and lateral sun out of the frame
Same place, same time as the previous photo. Only different orientation of camera respect to sun:

I guess these say it all... and these survived. I had to trash others that were even worse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough reply re: the hood and the UV, Orio. And Attila, thanks for your thoughts as well.

One last question: since the metal ones aren't adjustable, how long of a hood would you recommend, roughly? There seems to be a pretty wide range.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abe in space wrote:
Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough reply re: the hood and the UV, Orio. And Attila, thanks for your thoughts as well.
One last question: since the metal ones aren't adjustable, how long of a hood would you recommend, roughly? There seems to be a pretty wide range.

3,5 cms will be ok
perhaps even 4 cms but better test before buy if possible (or ask seller)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have adapted a hood on my older Helios 40-1 chrome - for EOS 5D. The diameter is roughly = lens diameter.
I made only rough tests, but my hood is much longer and as far I know with no influence to image borders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to use this Lens Hood Calculator: http://prime35.com/images/HOODCALC.XLS

Basically, you'll enter the lens focal length, front element diameter, camera sensor size (longer hoods are needed for cropped cameras), and your hood front diameter (the wider it is, the longer your hood can be).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
longer hoods are needed for cropped cameras

I'm tired and maybe wrong, but judging on first sight, I'd say that this is a wrong statement.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
aoleg wrote:
longer hoods are needed for cropped cameras

I'm tired and maybe wrong, but judging on first sight, I'd say that this is a wrong statement.

It's intuitive and mathematically proven at the same time. And, it works. And, major manufacturers (e.g. Sigma) bundle hood extenders with their lenses to be used specifically on crop bodies. Proof: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-85mm-f-1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx or http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/608-sigma8514dx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat, I may be wrong and accept to be proven wrong, but please don't say that's intuitive,
because that must be the most counter-intuitive thing that I have read in a while.

Imagine that in the following image, the white+red area combination is the image as captured by a full frame sensor,
and the red area alone is the image as captured by an APS-C sensor:

My logic tells me that if I use a full frame camera, I must use a hood that blocks the sun rays in a way that
all the white and red areas are protected - otherwise it would not make sense to wear a hood that only
protects the outer edges of my images.

Since APS-C is nothing but a smaller-than-full-frame sensor that is placed exactly in the centre of where the full frame sensor would be,
and since the lens is the same, and thus also the focal lenght is the same and the image circle that they cast is the same,
the only difference being that there is a light sensitive area only in the middle and not all over the regular sensor frame,
the logical consequence for my logical mind is that a hood that is enough to protect the whole image of a full frame sensor,
must also be enough to protect the image of a smaller sensor that is placed exactly in the middle of where a full frame sensor would be placed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
... a hood that is enough to protect the whole image of a full frame sensor, must also be enough to protect the image of a smaller sensor that is placed exactly in the middle of where a full frame sensor would be placed.

Yes the hood protects the APS-C area to the same extent whether that area is "on its own - an actual APS-C sensor" or in the middle of a full frame sensor. However for the actual APS-C sensor the hood can be longer - without producing vignetting - since the field of view is smaller for the APS-C sensor than for full frame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes the most sense to me is sichko's statement, that on APS-C the hood CAN be longer, but that it shouldn't HAVE to be. The only way that would make sense is if on full-frame cameras you intentionally exposed the center of the image to flare, but covered up the outside.

I can, however, see how it *might* be true that lenses specifically made for APS-C sensors need longer hoods, since they're often intentionally made with shorter focal lengths (and therefore, often, more spherical front elements). So, for example, if you're trying to get an FF equivalent 35mm focal length, and you're using a Canon crop sensor camera, you'll use a 19-20ish mm lens. If you're using a a full frame cam, you'll just use a 35mm lens. 20mm lens's front element is likely to protrude out further, and thus, might require a longer hood to compensate for that.

But if you're talking about the same lens on both cameras, yeah, it just doesn't make sense unless you let the lens flare in the center on your FF camera.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any lens, the longer the hood, the better, problem is vignetting of course. On a FF lens you CAN use (it s not needed) a longer hood if you mount it on a crop sensor camera, simply becouse the extra vignietting wil be, cropped out Smile I believe the Sigma 70-200/f2.8 comes with an extension for the hood, for APS-c cameras. See here:http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_os_c16/page3.asp

http://a.img-dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_os_c16/Images/hood-ext.jpg

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand using a lens on a crop sensor decreases the effective field of view of the lens compared to full frame (hence the notion of 'equivalent' focal lenght). Thus the use of a longer hood is indeed possible without causing extra vignetting. For me this allows to use the metal hood for 50mm 1.8 (Slide on with locking screw, also suitable for the 35mm lens) zuiko for my 24mm 2.8 zuiko (normally a screw in hood, much more anoying), which would probably be a very bad idea on full frame, but is fine for my 4/3 camera.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I have adapted a hood on my older Helios 40-1 chrome - for EOS 5D. The diameter is roughly = lens diameter.
I made only rough tests, but my hood is much longer and as far I know with no influence to image borders.

My hood for the EOS 5D is 56mm long at 73mm diameter. More exactly it is even longer - but the edges are cut out.
For a crop camera I could have made it longer.