Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for wide lens (more detail).... any suggestion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Looking for wide lens (more detail).... any suggestion? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!!!!, its my first time here Very Happy

I am looking for a super-wide lens (less than or 28mm)

---BUT

I hope it has a odd number aperture. (not 6!)
and also has a diameter of mount that is greater 49 (52, 58 or wider is good too~)

I have a takumar 28/3.5 (earliest version) right now,
but I took it to the store for clean, however just find out one of the glass has damaged Evil or Very Mad
So I need a new wide lens..........

I just start "playing" photography about a year,
can anybody give me suggestions?
thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

What camera you have?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Welcome!

What camera you have?

And how much money do you want to spend?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a 24mm Takumar with a max aperture of 3.5 It has a filter diameter of 52 mm. It will probably be a little harder to come by than a 28mm and also a little more expensive, but it is a great lens.

Why do you want a bigger filter diameter than 49?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming with odd number of aperture blades this means either 5 or 7 (or do you mean 6+ in general?).
The tamron 24mm f/2.5 adaptall-2 fits you r description: 5 blades (to my knowledge), 55mm filter tread.
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/01B.html
The 28mm has a smaller filter tread, 49mm and also 5 blades if I am correct.
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/02B.html
I do not own these lenses so although I hear reasonably favourable reports, I can not confirm their performance.
They are not too expensive lenses, especially the 28mm (~20 euro if you are lucky, about 40 euro for the 24mm I would guess, if you have some patience). You do need to source an adapter to fit it to your camera, which adds to the cost.

A slightly more expensive lens which I do own is the zuiko 24mm f/2.8, which is a good lens (at least on 4/3 in my case), however it has 49mm filter tread and 6 aperture blades. Bokeh can be a bit funky wide open though.
http://olypedia.de/Zuiko_Auto-W_1:2%2C8/24_mm (in german)
Depending on what make of camera you own it may be adaptable (canon and 4/3 mount work for this, nikon, sony or pentax do not).

I also question your logic for wanting a larger filter tread, does not make sense to me (except maybe if you are a filter user)?
Also for a wide lens number of aperture blades is not that important if I am correct, these lenses are not generally known for their creamy smooth Bokeh as far as I know?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Welcome!

What camera you have?

Thanks!

The camera I do have now is Canon 50D
but in future I might upgrade to 5DII.

About the money...
Financially, at this moment i'm not yet a person that can spend a lot on his great habbit...
I will say, probably around or less than 200 USD (150 EU) is good for me now.

Justin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment there are 2 Takumare here in this forum available, see here an older Super Tak 3,5/24mm

http://forum.mflenses.com/fs-takumar-3-5-24-1-4-50-3-5-200-in-good-conditions-t43401.html

and here a newer Super-Multi-Coated Tak 3,5/24mm

http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-takumar-24mm-13-5-t42653.html

both within your price range. In the last thread I have posted 2 samples with this lens and a crop K-5 body.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ymmot wrote:
Assuming with odd number of aperture blades this means either 5 or 7 (or do you mean 6+ in general?).
The tamron 24mm f/2.5 adaptall-2 fits you r description: 5 blades (to my knowledge), 55mm filter tread.
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/01B.html
The 28mm has a smaller filter tread, 49mm and also 5 blades if I am correct.
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/02B.html
I do not own these lenses so although I hear reasonably favourable reports, I can not confirm their performance.
They are not too expensive lenses, especially the 28mm (~20 euro if you are lucky, about 40 euro for the 24mm I would guess, if you have some patience). You do need to source an adapter to fit it to your camera, which adds to the cost.

A slightly more expensive lens which I do own is the zuiko 24mm f/2.8, which is a good lens (at least on 4/3 in my case), however it has 49mm filter tread and 6 aperture blades. Bokeh can be a bit funky wide open though.
http://olypedia.de/Zuiko_Auto-W_1:2%2C8/24_mm (in german)
Depending on what make of camera you own it may be adaptable (canon and 4/3 mount work for this, nikon, sony or pentax do not).

I also question your logic for wanting a larger filter tread, does not make sense to me (except maybe if you are a filter user)?
Also for a wide lens number of aperture blades is not that important if I am correct, these lenses are not generally known for their creamy smooth Bokeh as far as I know?

Filter user... well half and half I guess.
My father left me lots of 52, 58 filters ... I really hope that I can use them instead of buying new ones.

About 6 blades, to be honest, its my personal preference.
I like to see more-rayed stars when shooting night view.
One of the lens that I have still is Canon 18-55 kit but with 6 blades, that why I bought my current Takumar 28/3.5 with 5 blades.
If someone think I'm too picky, I'm sorry about that. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just buy a step-up ring from the lens tread diameter to larger filter diameter.
It might look a bit funny for the larger filters, but it allows you to buy only one (expensive) filter instead of multiple (think Circular Polarizers).
Might be a good option if you have a lot of filters already like you have.

Since you shoot Canon, Zuikos are adaptable, however I have honestly no idea on mirror clearance.
The 24mm might be a bit on the edge of your price range, except maybe if you are lucky (prices have been rising).
I dont own them but the 28mm 2.8 and 3.5 are probably in your price range (~50 euro for the 3.5, some more for the 2.8, both less of course if you are lucky) and are said to be nice as wel.
Takumars may be more value for money though, olympus lenses can be a bit expensive lately.

I dont know about the rules on linking to other fora, but pentaxforums has a nice database on user lens reviews of takumars and adaptalls and also lists some prices that users there payed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Olympus 2.8/24mm MC would be a very good choice too.

Here a link with this lens and full frame Canaon 1DsMkIII

http://forum.mflenses.com/olympus-h-zuiko-2-8-24-mc-t31211,highlight,+olympus++%2A24mm%2A.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutu7931 wrote:
peterqd wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Welcome!

What camera you have?

Thanks!

The camera I do have now is Canon 50D

About the money...
Financially, at this moment i'm not yet a person that can spend a lot on his great habbit...
I will say, probably around or less than 200 USD (150 EU) is good for me now.

Justin

Hi Justin, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us here.

You have a very nice wide choice of lenses you can use with Canon cams. As you already have an M42>EOS adapter you might as well stick with M42 lenses for the time being, and your Takumar 3.5/28 is one of the very best. I'd suggest you get a replacement for it, and choose the Super-Multi-Coated or SMC version as it has better coating and contrast. (I've never noticed before that it has only 5 blades! Smile The 3.5/35 is also a 5 blader and you could add that to your list and still keep within your budget. The 24mm is a very nice lens too, but I think it's a bit too pricey for the small difference to the 28mm.

As for filters, both these lenses are 49mm but you can use larger filters on them with a 49/52 step-up ring.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Tak 28mm 3.5, wasn't impressed with it, never used it, and sold it. I've never been much of a wide angle shooter so I didn't even care about replacing it.

Not too long ago I picked up an RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8, mostly because I got it so cheaply, and because I liked the Tokina made Vivitar I have, and I absolutely adore that lens. I have it in M42 mount and use it on my 50D.

I have no idea how many aperture blades it has, and I'm pretty certain it takes 49mm filters, so don't know if that means you'd write it off your lifst, but if you want a 28mm that is sharp from wide open, focuses really closely, and has beautiful colour straight out of the camera, this is the lens.

I love it so much that it might possibly be my favourite lens at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutu7931 wrote:

Check this topic too
http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
tutu7931 wrote:

Check this topic too
http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

I found out that there's many case saying the Takumar 3.5/24mm has a great chance to hit the mirror on 5DII ...

and also I found another lens "ENNA ENNALYT 24/4 LENS*MACRO", although I don't know whats the filter ring size for it ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How and What do you guys think about "ENNA ENNALYT 24/4 LENS*MACRO"

And "revuenon_24_4_macro"

Are they too slow?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want 'more rayed stars', you will have to stop down a bit (no stars at an open aperture normally), so at night you would be better off with a faster lens in this situation.
I would then say that the ennalyt or revuenon (same lens as it seems) is then too slow at f/4, closing down would mean at best a half stop or possibly a full stop loss of light depending on the aperture click stops on the lens, in order to get 'stars'.

If the enna or revuenon is worth it depends on the price, it seems that they are not bad, however not very special either. Also it may depend if it is a metal or plastic lens (dont know if the 24mm was made in a plastic version), as the plastic lenses made by enna are not very well regarded as it seems. As far as I have read, enna (and also revuenon to some extend) lenses seems to be suffering from inflated prices.

Considering all you mentioned before, I would look for a 28 or 24mm Tamron adaptall-2.
Both have five blades as you want. Filter size is easily adapted to the right size with a step up ring.
They are comparitively fast at f/2.5 wide open, which should benefit you when shooting at night as you mentioned.
They are not rare, can be had for a decent price and an adapter to eos is 10-20 euros at most from ebay.
Else go for a Takumar as you had before, as you already know if you like it or not.
And for any lens, dont overpay, wait for the right price to come along.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... then I think I will not go for ENNA.

What about SOLIGOR 24 2.8 ... ? Any use it before?