Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Repair of EOS L glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Repair of EOS L glass Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if you would risk buying a water damaged fast Canon EOS L glass? I wonder if economical would it be to get one fiexed by a third party repairer? May be too risky or stupid to buy one?

Thanks. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autofocus lens means motor and motors do not like water.
Optical glass does neither, but perhaps with a professional cleaning one might eradicate the risk of fungus.
For motor however it's different and I would not spend my money on a water damaged autofocus lens.
But actually I would not spend money on any autofocus lens Laughing so my case may be an exception. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Orio. I guess looking at that big "f1.2" hunk of glass is very tempting Twisted Evil But on the hand no point having it if you can't focus on anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio meant USM motor.
You still can focus manually. Hopefully.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iris not working probably too.
Interesting to shoot with mf 1.2 only wide open .. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most repair workshops will repair it to fully working conditio only. Because of this it would cost much - probably more than a used or even new working one.
I have bought a EF 100/2.8 macro with water damage, but at the moment didn´t opend it as much as possible to clean and repair it to get it as manual focus lens. The internal building is more complex than on those MF lenses I have opend that much. For the 50/1.2 I suppose a high complexity too. It is not easy to have access to all non cemmented lens surfaces.

I think for 100-200 USD I would be tempted to buy it, but not more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Orio meant USM motor.
You still can focus manually. Hopefully.

Is that possible with a AF EOS camera lens. I thought nothing moves once the motor is damaged. However, Nikkor (non G) AF lens are different. MF is not a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this was the outcome:
http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-eos-85mm-f1-2-l-af-broken-t43772.html

Also interestingly, I got a reply from the repairer:

Hi Simon,

The lens must be inspected to assess the degree of damage. Generally, if
the lens was submerged in water, it is best used as a paper weight or door
stopper.

Regards,
Jeremy Chua
http://www.jemapela.com/?cat=13