Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sharpest manual focus lenses for the cost ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Sharpest manual focus lenses for the cost ?? Reply with quote

Regardless of the lens mount.

Already have Zeiss 50mm F1.4.

Looking for a......

Fast 85mm lens. Already have a Helios 85mm F1.5 but want something a bit lighter and less tank like

24mm lens at least F2.8

Fast 35mm lens

14-15mm lens of some sort

300mm F4 that is actually sharp WO.

Prefer sharpness WO over a cheaper lens you have to stop down 2 stops for sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specify your camera first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of lens mount.

Leica lenses are out - Too much $.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14-15mm

Voigtlander Super-Heliar 15mm f4.5
Zenitar 16mm

24mm

basicall any well known brand

My favourites are

Konica Hexanon 24mm f2.8
Nikon 24mm f2.8 AIS
Yashica ML 24mm f2.8
Olympus OM 24mm f2.8
F2.0 certainly fine too , but more $$$

85mm basically all top brand also.

Konica Hexanon 85mm f1.8
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm f1.5 slim sharpest lens what I seen. $$$
Olympus OM 85m f2.0 MC
Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0 rangefinder silver RED P marked super sharp , small inexpensive
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2.0
Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm f1.4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharpest manual focus lenses for the cost ?? Reply with quote

tammons wrote:
Prefer sharpness WO over a cheaper lens you have to stop down 2 stops for sharpness.

I think it would help if you looked at that in a different way. Any lens is at its sharpest at a midpoint aperture setting, between f4 and f8, and as you widen or close the aperture you lose the sharpness. This is true for both cheap and high quality lenses but the rate of loss is higher with cheap ones.

If you want sharpness in low light situations, opening up the lens is not the best answer. It's better to set the aperture at say f4 and increase the ISO setting and use a slow shutter speed, maybe with a tripod. Using a lens wide open is the last resort, unless you specifically want to create arty farty effects with a shallow depth of field.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpest From F4 to F8 for normal length is no problem. I can fond plenty of acceptable lenses in that range.

What I am looking for specifically as far as characteristics is a fast 24mm, 35mm and 85mm lens that is about as sharp WO as a Contax 50mm F1.4 Planar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammons wrote:
Sharpest From F4 to F8 for normal length is no problem. I can fond plenty of acceptable lenses in that range.

Exactly, that's what I meant.

Quote:
about as sharp WO as a Contax 50mm F1.4 Planar.

Please explain why you need to use it wide open. You won't find anything sharp as a CZ Planar wide open for less cost, that's exactly why Contax lenses are so expensive. But there are plenty of cheaper lenses that can match it at f4.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammons wrote:
What I am looking for specifically as far as characteristics is a fast 24mm, 35mm and 85mm lens that is about as sharp WO as a Contax 50mm F1.4 Planar.

Planar isn't exactly sharp WO. There are comparable or sharper fast 50mm lenses.

But one of sharpest fast portrait lens is surely CZJ Pancolar 1.8/80mm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
tammons wrote:

Planar isn't exactly sharp WO. There are comparable or sharper fast 50mm lenses.

But one of sharpest fast portrait lens is surely CZJ Pancolar 1.8/80mm.

+1 and I forgot Pancolar 80mm f1.8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically what lenses in the 50mm area are you talking about that are much sharper within reason ??

Typically what doES CZ 80mm F1.8 Pancolar sell for ??

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammons wrote:
Specifically what lenses in the 50mm area are you talking about that are much sharper within reason ??

Typically what doES CZ 80mm F1.8 Pancolar sell for ??

Thanks

4-500 USD Pancolar M42 , Praktica B mount is less

Nikkor 50mm f2 I think sharper and all 50mm macro lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammons wrote:

For what purpose? WO or stopped down? FF or crop camera?
1.4 Planar is very well balanced lens with good WO performance and is great stopped down.
Wide open performance is better on CZ Planar 1.8/50, Planar 1.7/50, Xenon 1.8/50, Helios-77M 1.7/50 to name some I tried, but we are splitting hairs here and for practical purposes the difference is not so big.
More important is the faithful color rendering of new Zx series Planar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 24mm: Minolta MD 24/2.8 or Canon FD 24/2 (should be the one of the sharpest).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Adaptall 24mm and the Konica AR Hexanon 24mm ??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking specifically for the sharpest lens, I would say that the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is likely to be unbeatable at its focal length (for full frame).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:

I've asked him that too, twice. I don't think he knows.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting attitude.

I know what systems I will be using these lenses on and if you must know, APS/C digital, full frame B+W film, full frame digital.I realize the Konica AR lenses dont adapt well to DSLR cameras due to the registration distance.

You can figure out why I want to shoot wide open. Actually I dont even know why you would ask the question since the answer is so obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammons wrote:
Interesting attitude.

Well, if you'd answered when I first asked then we wouldn't be here would we? Anyway, it worked! Smile

Quote:
You can figure out why I want to shoot wide open. Actually I dont even know why you would ask the question since the answer is so obvious.

No I can't, actually - read my first answer to you about using a higher ISO or a tripod instead of opening up the diaphragm. What are you trying to achieve?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
BRunner wrote:

I've asked him that too, twice. I don't think he knows.

Where did you ask this question ?? Saw the post going on about stopping down as an alternative to shooting WO.

Never saw where you asked about cropped or full frame.
Missed the other guys question.

At any rate you are making too big of a deal out of this.

Its a simple question - What lenses are sharpest WO regardless of the mount.

I just want opinions not a solution to a problem that does not exist for me. The fact is I like fast lenses that are sharp WO. Just my preference. I have too many already that are unusable to average until you hit F4.

I went through this about 10 years ago, and tested a lot of dogs.

That is how I ended up with several Contax CY lenses, but never bought a CY 300mm F4 or Contax 100-300mm as I found another 300mm F4 prime that worked.

Actually the Contax CY 100-300 is one my list, but ouch its expensive.

I know I can stop down, shoot at a higher ISO and get sharp photos with a $15 lens, but that is not what I am asking.

For instance I just bought a Hexanon 50mm F1.7 on Ebay for $30 that is very sharp WO. Superb lens for that price.

Very close to the 50mm F1.4 planar and very close or about even with the Contax 50mm F1.7.

My Canon FD late model 50mm F1.8 is not even close to the Hexanon 50mm F1.7, until you get to F4 then they are about even.

Its definately better than my other Hexanon 50mm F1.4 in the 1.4, F2,2.8 ranges.

Also have a SMC Takumar 50mm F4 macro that is probably one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned.

For some background - I have been involved with Photography of all sorts since the 70's.

Of course back then my OM-1 was good enough with a decent enlarger etc and I did not enlarge huge anyway. No pixel peeping, back then and a loupe was good enough.

Much later got into Medium format and large format, Drum scanning etc. Still have the drum scanner but I have a love hate relationship with it, mostly because I need a new drum that is not made any more. That's what I get for listening to Aztek.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was a weird post dude. From Contax to Hexanon's to Medium Format or music instruments (drums..) you lost me back there!

You already own a $30 lens that suposedly is almost as sharp as one of the sharpest 1.4 (Planar) and you want to beat that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting some history.
Yes I am a bit all over the place with lenses.

Over the last 10 years or so I have literally tested 100 or more 35mm, medium format and LF lenses, but never a Hexanon.

Have used only a few Canon FD lenses although I have an FD body.
Never thought they were that great.

I got into Contax CY/lenses because they were basically some of the sharpest short of going into a Leica system.

Drum scanner.
If you dont know what a drum scanner is Google it.

Its about as close as you can get to film scanning perfection.
Very expensive in their heyday like $20,000 for a cheap one and up.

PIA but the results are great.

As far as what I am actually doing now, I own a NEX5n and have a Nex7 on order. I have another DSLR but we wont get into that as it sits on a shelf mostly.

On a nex you can basically use any 35mm lens.
They make adapters for everything.

I have several different film camera bodies but the only lenses I would consider superb are the CY lenses.

I have a CY body that took a dive and I dont think it can be repaired. Already have a Contax CY 50mm F1.4 and F1.7. I had a Contax CY 28mm lens but sold it as my copy was not that great.

I want those lenses listed above as sort of double duty, but the 14,24,35,50,85 mostly for a film body, with the fast 24, 50 and 85 used on the nex about 50-50.

The CY 100-300 lens (if I get that) will mostly be used on the nex but I would still like to be able to use it on a film body too.

The reason for the questions is I am looking at lenses I have never tested before and dont want to order/buy 30 more lenses to find a few jewels.

I want a group of really great lenses for a specific body.

Seems like I am mostly zeroing in on Contax CY and Hexanon lenses with a couple of M42 lenses.

From the posts above I now have a good idea of a direction.

50mm is done.

85mm - I have a Helios 85mm F1.5 but will probably go for a Hexanon.

24mm dont know. but probably Hexanon if its sharp.

35mm dont know either but the Hexanon is about $60 so I will try it. If a no go I will go with a Contax CY lens.

Telephoto, not sure yet. I had a Sigma APO HSM 300mm Macro that was a nice lens, but sold it long ago.

I found a Vivitar 70-210 F2.8-F4 Series 1 which is one of the Komine lenses, and supposedly one of the best in that series.

Got it cheap because the aperture blades are stuck. An easy fix hopefully since I like to work on lenses.

Going to try a 60-300 adaptall but I am not holding my breath.
If I dont like that one, I will just drop some decent $ on a Contax CY 100-300mm lens.

Have a Canon EOS mount Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO HSM macro lens that has the old chip set and I got stuck with it.

Not compatible with new cameras and Sigma would not re-chip it.
Its very sharp so I modified it to use as a fixed aperture lens. Also have a 1.4x Canon TC so that gets me out to 840mm equiv on APS/c on the long end.

I will most likely end up replacing my CY body and buying a Konica AR body for film.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vario-Sonnar 100-300mm is better than any other 300mm lens I've tried. Much less CA than Canon 300/4L AF. Nikon 24/2.8 ais is sharp wide open. Much better than Tamron 24/2.5 in the corners. Distagon 35/2.8 is sharp from wide open. Samyang 85/1.4 is sharp from wide open, but beaten by the Contax Planar 85/1.4 for sharpness, contrast and pop. The Samyang 14/2.8 is also very sharp wide open. I've been using it in New York wide open for night shots.

That's my recommendations having worked through 550+ lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is helpful.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair-3C 300m is superb at any price, as it can be had for less than 100 dollars it's a must-have imho, only downside is the large size and great weight. CA is absent and it is very sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fail,

I have one and its a Dog.
Maybe it was you that recommended it on another forum.
True it does not have CA but its soft as snot or maybe you just have a one off sharp lens, but I have read others say it is just not sharp.

If you get it from Russia another $50+ for shipping, then you need a
$50 adapter so by the time you are finished you have a Massive heavy $200 lens.

As far as I am concerned it $ down the drain.

I have a Soligar 80-300mm F5.5 macro that is sharper and weighs about 5# less that cost $20.

Anybody wants the Tair 300mm its $100 shipping included.