Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

landscape battle of the 28mm F2.8 (5 lens not a lot in them)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: landscape battle of the 28mm F2.8 (5 lens not a lot in them) Reply with quote

Hi

For those interested

I have 5 x 28mm F2.8 that I thought I'd shoot the "same shot" and let you be the judge. (yes the conditions change shightly between shots)

Vivitar 28mm f2.8 MC wideangle (FD)
Centon 28mm f2.8 MC (PK)
Hoya HMC 28mm f2.8 (M42)
Sun Actinon 28mm f2.8 MC (M42)
Carl Zeiss Jena 28mm f2.8 MC (PB)

All F16
between 1/125 and 1/250

[VIVITAR]

[CENTON]

[HOYA]

[SUN ACTINON]

[CARL Z]

CROPS OF ABOVE

[VIVITAR]

[CENTON]

[HOYA]

[SUN ACTINON]

[CARL Z]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job - thanks for posting this test. I know it is hard to make critical judgements based on screen resolution, but that Sun lens crop #4, looks pretty good to me. The flowers by the propane tank, the mounting bolts on the satellite dish, the window crank all look well resolved. The bricks are nice, contrast good, and CA seems well handled. That one would be my pick.

P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Nice job - thanks for posting this test. I know it is hard to make critical judgements based on screen resolution, but that Sun lens crop #4, looks pretty good to me. The flowers by the propane tank, the mounting bolts on the satellite dish, the window crank all look well resolved. The bricks are nice, contrast good, and CA seems well handled. That one would be my pick.

P.

Funny you should say the Sun Actinon as this is also my pick from the images...but to be honest this is a little surprising as there is very little on the net about this lens.

One thing I can say is that this doesn't seem to be a SUN lens but made by a company called Goyo Optical inc. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Here is the box, Guarantee, lens and some more pics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I would have gone with the HOYA! I suspect that the shot is slightly over exposed and, if that were corrected, the contrast/colours/resolution would be the best of the bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Hoya looks sharpest to me too, I have the Hoya lens and love it, very sharp, excellent colours and contrast, the HMC coating is remarkable, certainly much better than the coatings on the Carl Zeiss/Pentacon 2.8/28 (of which I have 2 copies).

In fact I liked my Hoya 28 so much I started collecting Hoya lenses, I'm pretty sure they are Tokinas rebadged.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that all photos have been focused accurately:

: Sun
: Hoya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? The Hoya looks clearly better on my monitor, sharpness looks only slightly higher than the Sun but the contrast and overall colouration and tone are better with the Hoya.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to set the bar....I don't think that any of these lens are bad.....and don't want to part with any of them.

From what I've noticed... the Hoya just doesn't product the same colours as the other lens.....the coatings are not as apparent (the lenses seem clear) perhaps I just have a defective copy or as the guys said perhaps just user error.

In the tests I set the aperture to F16 so that the DOF was as wide as possable and less prone to my focusing difficulties Wink
Yes these are hand held so without a glass of wine or two....there is also that.

Apart from the Sun Actinon surprising me, what I actually noticed was that there is not really much differance between them for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Really? The Hoya looks clearly better on my monitor, sharpness looks only slightly higher than the Sun but the contrast and overall colouration and tone are better with the Hoya.

In my opinion, the colours and contrast are better in the Sun lens. The Hoya lens produces duller colours, lower contrast with a thin veil of flare over the image, likely due to a weaker coating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At f16 I'd expect diffraction to become evident - I'd like to see the same test but at a more moderate aperture as any lens stopped down past f8 seems to look much the same IMHO, it's how they perform when opened up and edge sharpness and flare resistance begin to matter that interests me?

Doug

Nevertheless interesting... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really rate the HMC coating on my Hoya, seems to produce excellent contrast and have very high flare resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I really rate the HMC coating on my Hoya, seems to produce excellent contrast and have very high flare resistance.

I have seen your images in the "Hoya lenses" thread, they really look much better than the comparison test image of this thread.
I of course commented the images of this comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Here are 5 more shots at F2.8 focusing on the door of the first house ( little rushed so a little higher chance of focusing error)

Shadows are not great....sorry Sad

Still not a lot in it.

[Vivitar]

[CENTON]

[HOYA]

[SUN ACTINON]

[Carl Z]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a crop of the hoya and Sun Actinon

[Hoya]

[Sun Actinon]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, in those two crops the Sun does look better, definitely sharper.

Thanks for doing this comparison btw.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously have all lenses in nice working condition. Winner might be selected by focusing to infinity and check for corner sharpness. Also shooting in bright sun would be interesting.