Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aero-Ektar in MF mount (Was: What's this? (Unknown 180/2.2))
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Aero-Ektar in MF mount (Was: What's this? (Unknown 180/2.2)) Reply with quote

It's medium format lens, focal length is 180, so it's 180/2.2 (!). Nothing is written on it apart from aperture. Can't find anything about it anywhere. Any ideas what this can be?

All photos hand-held, linked to hi-res scans.

Last edited by pronvit on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:01 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this? Reply with quote

[quote="pronvit"]We think focal length is 180, so it's 180/2.2 (!). Nothing is written on it apart from aperture. It has adapter with Pentacon Six mount. Can't find anything about it anywhere. Any ideas what this can be?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my guess it is made from different parts by somebody.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut feeling is that this was made by Astro Berlin.

http://tinyurl.com/6z7z4ne

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus ring looks the same as the Isco Tele-Westenar but the bottom half looks like a Meyer. Could be Attila is right and someone took the back half of a Pentacon lens (Telemegor 180?) and put the front half of a Isco lens on it.

Try it and see how it works. The aperture mechanism looks like a Meyer to me, so it could well be an Isco head on a Meyer Pentacon rear half to utilise the mount and aperture of the Meyer.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all answers.

iangreenhalgh1, adapter for Pentacon mount seems to be separate item, so maybe it wasn't originally made for Pentacon.

I'm hoping to test it with medium format camera soon. Right now I only have test photos made with 1D and D200...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottom half looks a bit like this
http://cgi.ebay.de/4-5-240-Enna-Tele-Ennalyt-4-5-240-/260753189568

found this site very helpful
http://exakta.photobutmore.de/objektive/ennasockel/

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow for me it does not look big enough for 180 2.2
Should be ALOT bigger. 200 2.8-ish... in size to be 2.2 180.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure with separate meter a Kodak's gray card.
Take some pics of the gray card in the normal way (lighted at both side in 45° source without any shadows). In each pic use the lens wide open and with different shutter speeds. Don't take any measure using the meter of the camera. You must select the speeds by yourself.
The image that reproduce the gray card in zone 5 (like it is in the real word), will indicate the real aperture of the lens. How? Look at the separate meter reading, see what is the aperture that is indicated by the speed which gave the correct image of the gray card in the cam.

Rino

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Chimaera Reply with quote

This could not be a MF MF 2.2 180, so it looks as if it has been put together from various parts, as already stated. Too compact. Could be for cine where that size would cover 16mm, but you say a P6 mount.

Maybe a monster! Twisted Evil Frankenstein type of thing? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally received this lens today.
Scans will be available in several days. It's not for cine, it covers 6x6. From quick test it looks really like 180, testing for actual aperture will take som time. Aperture ring has marks from 2.2 to 8 (this is strange since aperture looks quite closed when set to 8 ).
It's really seems to be hand-made or prototype or something like this but build quality is good.

Its length (when set to infinity and P6 adapter removed) is 14.5 cm,
weight is 1575 g,
filter diameter about 88 mm,
actual front lens diameter about 76 mm.

On its rear end (with P6 adapter removed) there's inner thread with 67 mm diameter, rear lens has the same diameter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the aperture blades, looks like a Kyoei Acall missing the front ring, to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Comparing values from camera with TTL light meter with this lens and another lens attached, I can confirm that it really has 2.2 aperture. Several marks on aperture scale are incorrect though. It has marks for 2.2 to 8 while actual values are from 2.2 to 16.

Also one of rear elements seems to be made of lanthanum glass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just several photos at different aperture values while I'm waiting for adapter to mount it on Hasselblad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mifki/sets/72157626954418655/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enna?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Pronvit and many happy pics! Ideal portrait lens even if it is too sharp!

You may want to sell this to Samyang? This appears to be the product of genius and should be replicated?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last batch of photos from this lens:) All photos hand-held, linked to hi-res scans.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Aero-Ektar serial number EM3238 in medium format mount.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pronvit wrote:

As evident by what? Lanthanum glass does not really look different, and cannot be distinguished from other special property glasses short of plotting its refraction across the visible spectrum.

I don't know whether Astro ever made a 180/2.2, but that would sit in a line with their 150/1.8 Tachar, and match their colour scheme.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
pronvit wrote:

As evident by what? Lanthanum glass does not really look different, and cannot be distinguished from other special property glasses short of plotting its refraction across the visible spectrum.

I don't know whether Astro ever made a 180/2.2, but that would sit in a line with their 150/1.8 Tachar, and match their colour scheme.

Yes, my mistake. Not lanthanum but radioactive glass with thorium.

Now it's clear that this lens is made from Aero-Ektar 7"/2.5.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pronvit wrote:
Sevo wrote:
pronvit wrote:

Yes, my mistake. Not lanthanum but radioactive glass with thorium.

Now it's clear that this lens is made from Aero-Ektar 7"/2.5.

It certainly is the cheapest and most widely available lens such a thing might be made from. But if TTL metering really has it anywhere close to f/2.2 that can't be - Aero Ektars are huge chunks of rather old special glass with less than perfect transmission, they effectively are close to one stop slower than their physical aperture even without any yellowing to account for, so these tend to be at an effective f/3.5 measured TTL. Or even worse, if yellow.

Have you counted the elements and surfaces? That might help in identifying it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I disassembled it and its design is the same as of Aero-Ektar. Also I found EM3238 serial carved on the front element casing.

It's hard to tell exactly if it's 2.2 or 2.5 with my TTL meter. The easiest thing for me was to compare it to my distagon 60/3.5 lens and it's definitely not less than a stop lighter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pronvit wrote:
compare it to my distagon 60/3.5 lens

Oh well, that one is not exactly the king of transparency either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is an Aero-Ektar 2.5/178 but I really don't think what you have is that lens, it's nowhere near big enough to be the Ektar, which is a huge thing and needs a far, far bigger mounting that your lens has:

http://www.thinkthrice.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Aero_Ektar_3.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, there is an Aero-Ektar 2.5/178 but I really don't think what you have is that lens, it's nowhere near big enough to be the Ektar, which is a huge thing and needs a far, far bigger mounting that your lens has:

I don't know why you think that my lens is small. I already provided its dimensions on previous page.

14.5 cm in length, 90mm diameter (front), 1575g

Aero-Ektar with 11.3 cm length and 85mm diameter (from this page http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/aeroektar.htm) fits perfectly inside.