Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax vario sonnar 28-70
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Contax vario sonnar 28-70 Reply with quote

Well today started and ended with some very interesting light. This evening we had a hail showers and that funky combination of sun and darkness that accompanies hail. Here are a few with the Contax Vario Sonnar 28-70. The one that has the refineries in the background looks very almost phony to me. It is the first photo from the 40D that reminds me of older digital cameras that I don't like. I don't think it is natural even with the dynamic light that was happening. All are straight from RAW with a tiny curve to balance brightness a bit. Let me know what you think of that one shot in particular. Thanks Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, zooms are zooms. No matter what the MTF tests say, they often don't have the freshness and "air" of a prime lens. Although to tell the truth, the Contax 28-70 is well regarded as a zoom (but not as highly regarded as the 35-70):

http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/contax_eyes.htm

Zooms have their usefulness, when you are not in condition to carry a full bag of lenses with you, or when for any reason you can only have one camera body available (I never shoot anything serious without a minimum of at least two camera bodies).

But I would never choose a zoom for expecting to take out the best from my cameras.

-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sunshine
I think the condition were not so good and every lens would give same result.
If indeed it was some very interesting light it seems strange the 28-70 rendered like older digital cameras.
I don't have the 28-70, but I have the 35-70,28-85,80-200
Before 30 years zoom were crap but good modern zoom are as good as primes.
Prime are better for distortion but not for color, contrast & resolution.