Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Clear Out
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Lens Clear Out Reply with quote

Hi

Due to the ever increasing number of toys in the house (and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" telling me so) I'm having a clear out of lenses that I don't use very much or I've inherited and don't use at all.

I have to make a decision on some 135mm and a couple of 28mm.

Rollei QBM 135 f/2.8 is staying because it's the fastest 135, seems to give nice colours and most importantly is nice and chunky for video work (which I do most of).

I'd like to keep one of my M42's but which one...
Jupiter 11A
Jupiter 37A
SMC Tak 3.5

Like I mentioned I do mostly video work and to be honest don't I don't go over 90mm very often, so whichever I keep will get little use for stills.

The other decision is between a Tokina Special 28mm f/2.8 and a Vivitar Auto Wide Angle 28mm f/2.5.

My head says Vivitar but the Tokina is tiny and super cute. I suppose I just need someone to tell me it's a very poor lens and keep the Vivitar which is the sensible choice (or get rid of both and stick with the Tamron 28mm 2.5 I'm keeping).

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 135 won't be an easy choice I predict. Some people say the 11 is the sharper than the 37, others say the takumar will always be the better balanced and others still say that being the russian clone of the Sonnar design the 37 is the best.

I personally can only speak for the 37A. My very battered copy can render gorgeous images where bokeh is the stand out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
I personally can only speak for the 37A. My very battered copy can render gorgeous images where bokeh is the stand out.

+1 and gorgeous colours too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's two votes for the 37A.
Decision made for me!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for the 37A as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done any serious video work but I'd imagine it's quite difficult to keep the camera steady enough with a 135 lens, even with a full frame camera. It went through my mind that the 37A, being small and light, would be the best choice in that respect, but you probably use a tripod anyway, I would guess.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've never done any serious video work but I'd imagine it's quite difficult to keep the camera steady enough with a 135 lens, even with a full frame camera. It went through my mind that the 37A, being small and light, would be the best choice in that respect, but you probably use a tripod anyway, I would guess.

Yep. Absolutely impossible without a tripod.
Pretty shambolic with a shoulder rig or steady cam too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the three of them. I love the russians, the Takumar has, for me, a lack of "personality"...

BUT if you do video I guess you will need good coating and smooth rings... This is why I would recommend to keep this one!