Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medieval Market 2011
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not going to be popular by saying the IQ doesn't look too great to me. No contrast and vibrance. The kit lens is probably to blame as I wondered what I had done when I 1st bought my Canon 400D with kit lens. There seemed no difference between it and the cheap P&S I'd upgraded from.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, those pics should not be compared with those shot with a prime lens on a fullframe body, but "no contrast and vibrance"?
Really?

I see definitely enough contrast and also good vibrance. I mean look at the helmet pic. The two musicians are a little overexposed and thus seem to lack contrast a little. The last ones were shot under an overcast sky. They lack some vibrance, agreed, but I think there is enough contrast.

I have just checked them in Chrome and in Firefox 5 and they look absolutely similar to the way they look in Opera. Colours are boosted by the dark gray background, though.

Or is that a monitor thing again?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first four pics, taken in sunshine, have plenty of contrast and vibrance for my taste. The last four look flatter, but that's because the light has become overcast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, great to use 800 iso without visible noise
your monitor is fine, pics are certainly good enough for snapshooting
194g, 6cm, OSS are convincing arguments for this kit lens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with the pics, but there's nothing that would convince me to buy one of these cameras. They just look ordinary if a little washed out. Mainly the later ones as pointed out. Nothing seems to pop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, that little lens is not perfect, but good enough for what I got it for. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the pics, but there's nothing that would convince me to buy one of these cameras. They just look ordinary if a little washed out. Mainly the later ones as pointed out. Nothing seems to pop.
Mosstrooper wrote:
Some people just want to read about Canikons, even in a Nex Forum.
Its got to be Big - Black - at least 2feet long - and expensive.

James.

I hope that wasn't aimed at me? If it was, you clearly don't know anything about me.

James' remark was a little out of place here. Martin, we know that you do not only respect big black cams. Wink

Even if I don't see the flaws on the same level like you, the NEX can do much better when used with a top lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
James' remark was a little out of place here. Martin, we know that you do not only respect big black cams. Wink

Well I'm currently shooting with an Agfa Isolette, Canon T90 and 2 35mm point & shoots. DSLR is currently an old Minolta 7D.

LucisPictor wrote:
Even if I don't see the flaws on the same level like you, the NEX can do much better when used with a top lens.
Well, let's see something to make me change my mind then. Cool Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I don't think that those images here are as bad as you think they are. But perhaps these shots change your mind about the NEX:

Flowers at f/2.0

Flowers at f/4.0 (stopped down by 2 stops)

My son (b&w, out of cam)

My daughter (colour, our of cam)

But that's a little OT now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good series , Carsten .Great kids !
Martin, the NEX has some strong points:
1. a very short register that allows the use of some very good orphaned lenses , as I do Rokkor Minolta , Canon (and third parts) FD, Fujinon EBC ,Konica Hexanon that provides great fun and good results. LTM also
2.A very good and reliable focusing system for MF lenses (if you don't mind focusing at waist level Rolleiflex style or grapping the camera both hands compact cam style)
3.Small and light (or vice versa) ,unobtrusive quiet enough (but not stealth)
4.very good performance in low light high ISO ( doesn't beat a full frame but it's so good that you ask yourself if you really need a FF in these times of financial crisis - I'd love a nex FF)
5.It's APS-C crop 1.5 factor , enough to find good use for the wide angles from 17 to 40mm (opposed to the 2X factor of the micro4/3)
6.Price (with careful net shopping)

It's a camera that has it's own ergonomy , that can be easily accustomed with.
Sorry for the off topic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Good series , Carsten .Great kids !
Martin, the NEX has some strong points:
1. a very short register that allows the use of some very good orphaned lenses , as I do Rokkor Minolta , Canon (and third parts) FD, Fujinon EBC ,Konica Hexanon that provides great fun and good results. LTM also
2.A very good and reliable focusing system for MF lenses (if you don't mind focusing at waist level Rolleiflex style or grapping the camera both hands compact cam style)
3.Small and light (or vice versa) ,unobtrusive quiet enough (but not stealth)
4.very good performance in low light high ISO ( doesn't beat a full frame but it's so good that you ask yourself if you really need a FF in these times of financial crisis - I'd love a nex FF)
5.It's APS-C crop 1.5 factor , enough to find good use for the wide angles from 17 to 40mm (opposed to the 2X factor of the micro4/3)
6.Price (with careful net shopping)

It's a camera that has it's own ergonomy , that can be easily accustomed with.
Sorry for the off topic

I can confirm Teo's statement 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 portraits look really good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, Carsten.
I think the image quality is really good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems that this was an interesting event.

Contrary to Martin I was positively surprised of the IQ of the first 3 samples, find colors, 'vibrancy', 'depth' very good.
The following 2 photos do lack a bit but I would think that this is mostly due to the lighting, the later look good again.
Your daughters portrait is very lovely Carsten, and it's IQ looks good to me too.

( I am soon to get a NEX, most likely a cheap, used NEX3. Not decided yet if body only or incl. the 16mm or / and the 18-55mm. It will also depend on the deals I find, or I may seek advice from you guys who already use a NEX with these lenses. )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, I'm so sorry! Embarassed I meant to quote your first message in the thread but I clicked on the Edit button by mistake, and I more or less wiped it out completely when I clicked on submit. I've deleted it altogether, can you repost the pictures at least? What an idiot!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
... can you repost the pictures at least?

Peter I still had the page with the original post of Carsten open in my browser, so I can help to get it back on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
peterqd wrote:
... can you repost the pictures at least?

Peter I still had the page with the original post of Carsten open in my browser, so I can help to get it back on.

That's brilliant Andreas, well done! Now I wish I hadn't deleted the original post - I could have just pasted it all back in and it would be in its right place at the start of the thread. At least I'll be able to reconstruct it and post it here shortly.

It's such an easy mistake to make, clicking on the Edit button instead of the Quote button. I know I'm not the first to fall into the trap, but it's still highly embarrassing!

Thankyou for rescuing me. Smile
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by LucisPictor:

Some snapshots from today.
My kids are now old enough to be really interested in the market, so it was not a photo walk but rather a family day-out.
I only brought the NEX-3 with the 18-55 in order to test its capabilities for snapshooting. Honestly, I like it a lot!

Those images were all taken in A-Mode, ISO 800 and with AF.
No PP corrections were necessary! This is what that little NEX produces

Medieval Market 2011 by LucisPictor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

It's such an easy mistake to make, clicking on the Edit button instead of the Quote button. I know I'm not the first to fall into the trap, but it's still highly embarrassing!

Yes, it easily happens despite the red colour. I was THAT close to do that twice but luckily I realised before I submitted.

Perhaps an EDIT button at another place would help.