Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do I need a Contax Sonnar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I need a Contax Sonnar?
Yes, definitely
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
No, use the Soviets
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
No, buy the zoom
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
La domanda è mal formato e fuorviante
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Do I need a Contax Sonnar? Reply with quote

I've been browsing Contax Sonnars for a couple of days.

But I have Jupiters 9 and 37. I would use it mainly for b&w film so is there really any IQ difference in that use?

Basically I want it for the automatic aperture - but then again I could get a decent 80-200 zoom for about 1/10 of the price.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked Very Happy

I have the 90/2.8 in contax G mount. It is small. I use it with my Nex.
Pro: Sharp. Bokeh. Light. Compact.
Cons: The adapter is expensive, not very smooth MF operation

J-9 is bigger and heavier.
Those might compete are: pentax M 85mm f2.0 and pentax FA77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax RF Sonnar? or Contax G Sonnar, or maybe Contax C/Y ?
The Contax G 2.8/90 is way better than the 2/85 in Contax RF imho.

Contax RF 1.5/50 is also nice Smile
So which one do you have in mind?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

Contax C/Y Sonnar. 85/2.8, 100/3.5 (ok not really perhaps) but most probably 135/2.8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need a Contax Sonnar? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I've been browsing Contax Sonnars for a couple of days.
But I have Jupiters 9 and 37. I would use it mainly for b&w film so is there really any IQ difference in that use?
Basically I want it for the automatic aperture - but then again I could get a decent 80-200 zoom for about 1/10 of the price.

It is difficult to answer really, because it's not clear the purpose of use.
If you plan to use it with the Contax 139, then yes of course, you have the benefit of automatic aperture.
If you plan to use with other cameras, maybe digital, then you don't "need" it, because you will not have the automatic
aperture with either the Jupiter or the Sonnar. So it would become more a matter of wish or desire, than real need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't use one so you don't need one.

In other words, look into your heart and then ask your accountant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, still too vague question:

Using it with Contax 139 b&w film.

Can you see IQ difference to J9 and J37?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to pick up a Sonnar in trade for some items. It is a C/Y mount and says:
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 3,5/100 T* It also says it's made in Japan. Is this one of the good ones?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and by the way, need has nothing to do with it - it's all about want.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY ALL THE PRETTIES!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't everybody need a Sonnar? HA! I thought so!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Oh, and by the way, need has nothing to do with it - it's all about want.

+10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I have an opportunity to pick up a Sonnar in trade for some items. It is a C/Y mount and says:
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 3,5/100 T* It also says it's made in Japan. Is this one of the good ones?

Contax T* unlike all other makers always produce stable highest quality , every makers have different quality lenses, Contax is exception all stunning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Sorry, still too vague question:

Using it with Contax 139 b&w film.

Can you see IQ difference to J9 and J37?

J9 vs 85mm visible , J37 135mm visible too on digital, I think on b&w not , but I did never try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I have the 2,8/135 AEJ and thoroughly happy with it. Technically speaking it's not the best lens in the world, it has a little CA and all that, but overall it's a stellar performer, rich contrasty colours, built like a tank, and overall definitely a LOT of bang for its <$150-200 street price. I'm not sure how much you'd gain over your Jupiters though. I've never used a Jupiter but 135 tends to be a focal length that there exist a lot of decent performers, and I wouldn't put it past the Jupiter to be pretty decent too.

I don't know much about the Sonnar 100; if you're really going for 100 and money is not an object, consider also the Planar and Makro-Planar which are both likely to be better than the Sonnar in almost every way from what I've heard (I don't have experience with them though).

Also with regard to "I want it for the automatic aperture": You don't get automatic aperture if you're planning on putting it on anything other than a Contax camera. On the other hand though I should say with Zeiss lenses you really *want* to be choosing your aperture manually as they tend to behave very differently at different apertures.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax G Sonnar T* 90/2.8 was the only Contax Sonnar I had and it optically makes the Jupiter-X Sonnars nearly look like a bottom of a glas bottle used as a lens Wink
+it's the most compact tele I ever had in this range
(VS Sony E-Mount 16mm Pancake)