Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

looking for camera recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: looking for camera recommendations Reply with quote

HI all,

Sorry if this is too general a post.

I am interested in making my first foray into the digital rangefinder / viewfinder arena, and I am looking for camera recommendations. Here are my selection criteria:

1) I currently use Canon digital SLRs (Digital Rebel IR modified, 40D, and 5D Mark II), but I have had experience with Nikon digital and many film cameras from 35mm to 4X5.
2) Portability and small size is important.
3) I would like a digital platform for my Leica M glass, but don't want to shell out the dough for a Leica digital (I have an M3 film camera now).
4) IQ is of course, important, as is low light performance and low noise.
5) Easy MF and manual exposure controls are important.
6) Video capability is not important.
7) The availability of a variety of lens adapters for M42, Nikon, Exakta, Leica R, Contax/Yashica etc., in addition to Lieca M is important to me.
Cool Built-in image stabilization would be nice.
9) Price tag of under $500 US$, if possible. Older models are fine.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a mirrorless camera: Sony nex or Oly Pen
I like Olympus more but it's your decision.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
You need a mirrorless camera: Sony nex or Oly Pen
I like Olympus more but it's your decision.

Other attributes aside, a nice bit on the Oly is the hot shoe, which could hold a nice optical viewfinder!

P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.. and it also works with flashes and accessory electronic viewfinder Smile

In the current mirrorless world the Nex has the best sensor and Pen the best camera features Smile

The Samsung doesn't work with Leica lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
True.. and it also works with flashes and accessory electronic viewfinder Smile

In the current mirrorless world the Nex has the best sensor and Pen the best camera features Smile

The Samsung doesn't work with Leica lenses.

Great info! Thanks so much.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pdc

as an olly ep2 owner, i can objectively say that i like the images from the samsung mirrorless cams better than the olly, and that i like the olly images better than the sony. i did not know, and it might be good to confirm, that you cannot use m mount lenses on samsung--if true that would be a pity. back to olky, the optional evf is first rate and is excellent in low light-like a military scope! unfortunayely the camera does not perform as well as the evf in low light-800 is the highest i would go, and even that often disappoints. its great otherwise

as an m lens vehicle you might also want to consider the epson rd1, which i undrstand operates like a 'true' rangefinder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hi pdc

as an olly ep2 owner, i can objectively say that i like the images from the samsung mirrorless cams better than the olly, and that i like the olly images better than the sony. i did not know, and it might be good to confirm, that you cannot use m mount lenses on samsung--if true that would be a pity. back to olky, the optional evf is first rate and is excellent in low light-like a military scope! unfortunayely the camera does not perform as well as the evf in low light-800 is the highest i would go, and even that often disappoints. its great otherwise

as an m lens vehicle you might also want to consider the epson rd1, which i undrstand operates like a 'true' rangefinder.

I'll check that one out - thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that the Samsung does not work with Leica lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this point, i have come across an m39>samsung adapter, just as i have an m39>m4/3 adapter. if this works the same way as with the olly, i then use a m mount>m39 adapter, which allows me to use m lenses on m4/3.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The m bayonet will not fit inside samsung - it's just too big for it.

The guy to which i sold my nex had the samsung. He got the nex mainly for his leica lenses, and even after weeks he was still thinking the samsung is the better camera.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan, i'm not sure i totally understand that the 'bayonet' will not fit into the samsung. if you mount the bayonet into an m mount>m39 adapter, then mount that onto an m39>samsung adapter, why wouldnt that work? at that point the bayonet being too big for the samsung is not relevant because it is already mounted, unless there is some part of an m lens that sticks out into the cam, like the m39 jupiter 35/2.8...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Leica M lenses Sony is the best option, especially if those lenses are normal and in wide range.