Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Christmas Markets in Germany
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Christmas Markets in Germany Reply with quote

Hi!

Surprisingly, I had the chance to go to two different Christmas markets, one in Marburg (a 80.000 citizen University town) and one in Frankfurt/Main (a 650.000 citizen banking metropolis).

I shot my pics with these lenses at my EOS350D:

- Tamron 2.5/24
- Nikkor-O 2.0/35
- Rollei Planar 1.8/50
- Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55

The photos are presently in a batch conversion, but I will post them soon...

Some shots I tool with my Spotmatic and a Mamiya Sekor 1.8/55 and with my Olympus 35RC - but these will have to wait, I need to finish the rolls first. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is the fist set: Frankfurt (close to the "Paulskirche")

Rollei Planar 1.8/50

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second set. Still Frankfurt. Tamron 2.5/24. First two wide open!

All shots were taken between 1.30 pm and 3.00 pm. I had to go there early.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set Three. This Marburg. Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55. High ISO (400 to 1600).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series...

Love the lanterns shot and the last especially...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set 4. Marburg. Nikkor-0 2.0/35.

And some shop windows of Marburg. Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55

Finally, some Marburg impressions:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you had fun Smile Thank you for sharing! I like the last picture with deep blue sky really.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are really great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carsten they are all very good, I don't know which one to choice. They are all very Christmas, you catch the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Carsten. It's nice to see the Christmas markets in Germany and compare to what they look like here. I think the Rollei Planar shows it's class in the first set Smile
Hey the lamps in Marburg are almost identical to those sold here Very Happy I think we copied yours, as this kind of lamps were not so popular here until a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planar #1 Shocked
Nikkor #11 & #19 Shocked

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mates!

Yes, I like the Planar a lot and it is so well built that it is a pleasure to use!

There are some striking things in the pictures, I think:

-Planar 11- "Friends or pickpocket?" Twisted Evil
-Planar 6- "Two storey merry-go-round!" Shocked
-Tamron 1- "Love the glow wide open."
-Nikkor 13- "The hottest curry sausage in Marburg, levels: 1.delicios, 2.mild, 3.hot, 4. fiery, 5.extreme and 6.infernal. I have tried level 4 so far, but next Tuesday I will try level 5." Wink

Marburg - Frankfurt: Frankfurt Christmas market is much bigger, but the one in Marburg is nicer and more pleasant.
I also like the shop windows in Marburg. They are not like the typical, sterile display, esp. not at this time of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten
Thank you for the two-fold treat. Some very fine examples of a lot of different lenses (and you can surely see the planar quality) and I could almost smell the goodies at those markets. There is nothing even remotely similar here in the US - alas.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
We have a German style Christmas market here in Edinburgh each winter. I had a wander around it a couple of weeks back:

That's a dream! A German type Christmas market in one of my favourite cities? Wow! Amazing!

Nice shots! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, these candids are great! Some very nice girls.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice candids. Last year for my Christmas Market series I used a lot tele lenses. They allow for captures like these, where you can see well the faces of people without them to notice, so they look natural. However on the other side you lose the environment which gives the photograph it's context. It's a give and take.

Photographically speaking, I find the young lady in #2 the most interesting. She has the kind of face that always attracts me for photographs. Part Jane Birkin, part Francoise Hardy, a tiny bit of Nastassja Kinski thrown in as well. I would model girls like these for hours (I said model, ok?) Laughing
She has that mix of beauty and imperfection that I am always searching for, like the majorette I put on February page of my own calendar, the one with the big nose, which I find absolutely beautiful although I know many won't agree.

As for the guys in #4, I would not dispute with them for a parking place! Laughing

-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
As for the guys in #4, I would not dispute with them for a parking place! Laughing

-

Laughing You mean the "highland laddies"?
Actually, I have found out that these kind of guys often are very nice and fun to talk to in a pub - if there is enough beer, that is. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots from both of you. It's the second year running that we've had a German style market in Canterbury. I haven't been brave enough to try candids though...