Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Touching up a beaten up zeiss lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Touching up a beaten up zeiss lens Reply with quote

I'm looking to purchase a Zeiss lens but it looks cosmetically its a bit scratched up. This is one of the newer ones.

Could glossy model paint fix up some of the wear?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint wear on barell doesn´t affect functionality - so why make it even worse by painting it? You´ll never match the same look of paint, unless you paint the whole barell. And that would look even worse than painting just the places with scratches. My advice is to leave it as it is. If you really want to paint it, I don´t think simple glossy paint will do the job - try mixing glossy and matte paint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe try color sticks for fixing scratches on car paint? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Touching up a beaten up zeiss lens Reply with quote

FlyPenFly wrote:
Could glossy model paint fix up some of the wear?

Why? Seriously. I mean, the paint doesn't affect the IQ. My Planar 1.4/50 looks terrible. I have spent a thought on repainting it but on a second thought I realized that I only wanted it to look good for those who see the lens on my camera. No, that's not worth it, I left it as it was...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you can't make it to better looking, waste time and I expect worst result than genuine stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am pretty sure you can't make it to better looking, waste time and I expect worst result than genuine stage.

+1

I actually really like the beatuen up look of some of my lenses, I have a Juipter-11A that looks like it has been through a war in the trenches on the front of a Zenit but is still optically great, I like the look it has, like a piece of military hardware.

I also have some old brass lenses that are very well worn I like the look of those too.

Lens bodies aren't painted, they are powder coated or enamelled, this cannot be repaired with paint, trust me, I have seen it done and the result is always bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lens bodies aren't painted, they are powder coated or enamelled...

...or anodised Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lens bodies aren't painted, they are powder coated or enamelled...

...or anodised Shocked

True, but I was thinking of the ones that look like they are painted black, my point being, it's not paint.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a really bad looking lens, I mean it just looked ugly, not worn but that my dog had chewed the barrel, I could think of painting it.

But: I would use a colour that is distinctly different from original but still esthetically pleasing. Like dark green on black. Don't know which type of paint but I think some for metal, not model paint, definitely not glossy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
If I had a really bad looking lens, I mean it just looked ugly, not worn but that my dog had chewed the barrel, I could think of painting it.

But: I would use a colour that is distinctly different from original but still esthetically pleasing. Like dark green on black. Don't know which type of paint but I think some for metal, not model paint, definitely not glossy.

You need enamel paint, not sure what it is called in other languages.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it with my Vivitar Series 1 135mm f/2.3 lens. But it was in incredibly horrible condition. It doesn't look like a new one would but it did improve the look considerably. I no longer own it but I do not think the present owner would complain that I ruined it!! LOL Go carefully and if in doubt leave it as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of a solution used by gunsmiths, when applied to bare aluminium it makes the surface black, or much darker, without adding thickness. Never used it though, but probably worth looking into.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
I heard of a solution used by gunsmiths, when applied to bare aluminium it makes the surface black, or much darker, without adding thickness. Never used it though, but probably worth looking into.

AFAIK, gunsmiths use two methods to "blue" steel - heat or chemical. Both methods work on iron/steel, but I am not sure the chemicals would work on aluminium. Certainly the heat won't!

It is perfectly possible to anodise aluminium at home although, apparently, black is the hardest colour to get and matching an existing colour would be IMHO almost impossible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a new "old" lens I always clean the outside with gun oil (weapons oil - hope that these are the correct terms in English) - for example with Ballistol. Helps a little bit to make the lens more shiny.

http://www.ballistol.de/index.php?article_id=95&clang=0

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most stores that sell Gun Oil also sell Blueing or Bluing there are 2 different spellings. But I've never tried Bluing on a lens before. If I remember correctly if you use Bluing you need to go over it with Gun Oil.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birchwood Casey make "Super Black" touch-up pens for aluminium. The "Flat Black" is good for touching up marks on lens rings created when disassembling lenses. The "Gloss Black" is too gloss for most lens outer barrels, but has some uses. I find the adhesion is not good enough for covering up large areas of bare aluminium unless you leave it for days to dry really thoroughly.

The lens in this thread was touched up using these pens, but I cleaned it all off again because it didn't look any better!

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am simple and lazy and cheap. I wipe down old lenses with a clean soft cloth. Then I use black indelible Magic Marker to touch-up any brassing. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for casual inspection.

Damaged knurled rubber grip rings are greater problems. Sometimes they must be glued and magic-markered. Sometimes they must be removed and replaced. My worst but simplest was a Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro with a decayed ring. I replaced it with... silver duct tape! Just the right width, not elegant at all, but it works, and I doubt that anyone would consider stealing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I am simple and lazy and cheap. I wipe down old lenses with a clean soft cloth. Then I use black indelible Magic Marker to touch-up any brassing. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for casual inspection.

Damaged knurled rubber grip rings are greater problems. Sometimes they must be glued and magic-markered. Sometimes they must be removed and replaced. My worst but simplest was a Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro with a decayed ring. I replaced it with... silver duct tape! Just the right width, not elegant at all, but it works, and I doubt that anyone would consider stealing it.

I replaced the Plastic(Not Rubber) Focus ring covers on both the Vivitar 200mm f/3 and the 135mm f/2.3 with focus ring (Rubber) covers from Vivitar 75-205 macro focusing lenses. The 2 series one lenses benefited greatly from the replacement and looked like the covers were done at the factory.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the old lenses with a little paint loss, marks and bumps.
It tells a story Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother?
If you are going to use it, then use it, who cares wear... if you are going to sell it, it won't be some makeup that will make a buyer think that it's a newer lens than what it really is.

I also have to add that often worn lenses are more pleasurable to use because you don't freak out as much about treating them with velvet gloves as you do when the lens looks new...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to disagree a bit. Many times manufacturer tried to keep low production costs and time. Some materials can be replaced, some functions can be improved. But to do it well that is the issue. I think restoring old lenses can be art.