Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Swapping lens mounts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Swapping lens mounts? Reply with quote

Is it possible to swap lens mounts of different lens? Many lens I see for sell are cheap but when I come across a Nikon mount for that lens then the price is way higher or it doesn't exist. The problem I see so far with it is the three screws holding the mount to the lens. I know that Nikon's suck for most manual lens but I can't afford to buy another body just yet.

Also are lens mount different depending on the focal length? I have be looking for metal mounts to use and keep seeing them labeled for each separate lens.

http://shop.thefotogeeks.com/nikonlenspartsbymodel.aspx

How would one know which mount to use on which lens such as a Vivitar 70-210?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends.

Sometimes you find premanufactured kits to change the mount. Then it is pretty easy to do.

Often the mount has more functionality than just mounting the lens to the cam. You often find an aperture control mechanism there.
Then it is very difficult to do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping lens mounts? Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
How would one know which mount to use on which lens such as a Vivitar 70-210?

I have converted some lenses most times to Canon EF mount. There the register distance is very short. For Nikon F-Mount register is 2mm longer, you need to get these additional 2 mm from somewhere in the lens / lens mount.
On alternativ lenses this space is available, but for a mount conversion it could still result in more problems converting this lens.

For lens conversion I open the lens, know the different register distances from lens and target camera system, and look which of the several mount adapters I have in stock would fit best to get correct register distance and working iris.
I have for example M39, Leica R, Contax, M42, F-Mount, ... to Canon EF adapters avialable for such work. And most time I use M42-Canon EF adapters and optimize these with lathe, file, Dremel tool, mini-mill. sometimes I have to make small parts for example for iris coupling.

I have converted two Minolta SR-mount lenses until I realized it could be a better way only to modify the Minolta lens, and use a homemade adapter. Much less problems with parallelity and working iris.
And the Minolta lens is still usabel on Minolta cameras too (without automativ iris function).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping lens mounts? Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I have converted two Minolta SR-mount lenses until I realized it could be a better way only to modify the Minolta lens, and use a homemade adapter. Much less problems with parallelity and working iris.
And the Minolta lens is still usabel on Minolta cameras too (without automativ iris function).

I would like to know more about this please.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping lens mounts? Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I would like to know more about this please.
Thank you.

I have converted a Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 and the 35mm/1.8 the classical way ~ 3 years ago.
But I have a Minolta 100/4 Macro, 28mm/2.0, 135/2.8, 50/1.4 and I think another lens MD/PF/MC lens that I all would like to use on my Canon EOS cameras. I read that the 28mm/2.0 lens is no fun to convert. And I know that with an adapter I would have no problem with the iris mechanism, and probably less problems with parallity. So I did some measurments and build my Minolta SR to Canon EF adapter. To use a Minolta MD, MC, PF lens with that adapter I have to correct the infinty setting of the lens (more work with floating elements lenses), and have to shorten / remove the iris lever. And I have to grind a small nut inside the lens back for the Canon looking pin - this could be made with a Dremel tool.

Last week I finished an adapter for Minolta /Alpha A-Mount to Canon EF. But this is less useful. Would make sense for the Sony 135 STF lens. The Minolta 20mm f/2.8 I thought to test a bit with the EOS 5D is protruding too much into the camera. Doesn´t work, even with a bit shorter EOS 5D mirror. It seems that the Sony DSLR cameras have much more room for prodruding lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult or easy depends on lens construction and what mount original is, and what mount to convert to.

In my opinion it will be cheaper to pay a few hundred for an extra body so that you can use lenses in their native mount (or with inexpensive adapter). Permanent modification ie. DIY mount conversion is difficult or, if done by a qualified repairman, can cost more than an extra DSLR body does. Lens mount conversion almost always crashes the lens' aftermarket value as well: you are pretty much going to own that DIY-converted lens forever or sell it for peanuts later.

Adapting lenses to other mounts is similar to extension tubes, a lens is designed to draw for a specific film plane or sensor and altering the distance or angle light hits it always brings out new problems: chromatic and other aberrations.

Any Nikon DSLR user can enjoy backwards compatibility with Nikon mount lenses way back to 1959. I have never felt "restricted" by Nikon DSLRs as there up to date have been 80 million Nikkor and probably 200 million copies of other brand for Nikon mount manufactured up to today (including Vivitar 70-210 several versions). I have also owned and used other brands including Canon, Leica R & M, M42 etc. and every mount has its own limitations. Two years ago I decided to sell the rest and focus on one system, that decision freed money to build a very broad and deep tool palette for painting (I nowadays own only Nikon full-frame lenses, Ai'd/Ai/Ai-S/AF/AF-S)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of the value when the lens had been modified.
I still have a few Minolta, but can only use them on sony nex,
and none of my Minolta lenses are worth the conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was replying to Nikonshooter's original post, my apologies for not specifying

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone said above, its not a good idea to do a destructive conversion of a valuable lens.

It is a fun project if you look at the journey as being more important than the destination though.

Its even more fun if you can figure out how do do the conversion in a reversible way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
As everyone said above, its not a good idea to do a destructive conversion of a valuable lens.

It is a fun project if you look at the journey as being more important than the destination though.

Its even more fun if you can figure out how do do the conversion in a reversible way.

I agree, to my shame I have broken 2 lenses attempting to convert them, admittedly they were cheap no-name zooms so no big loss, and I've done irreversible conversions of another two. But I've learned valuable lessons from this, and learned through the comments and advice of members of this forum.

I now have a Sony Nex 5 with which to experiment and 'tinker' leaving my poor Nikon DSLR's in peace and to more professional and profitable use. I'll be honest, the Nikon is a nuisance to use as it has to have totally manual exposure (unless you chip each lens for about £20)

I recently bought a Canon Eos 300 (film) body for £7.50 so I can play with adapters with that. The EOS and the Nex work perfectly well on auto exposure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to go sell your camera and buy a second hand nex-3 or samsung nx + a bunch of manual lenses and adapters.
Finally with all swap , trial etc you will do same later.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Easiest way to go sell your camera and buy a second hand nex-3 or samsung nx + a bunch of manual lenses and adapters.

I have done it!! I'm just waiting for adapters. Not selling my Nikons though. My Zuiko 35mm and 28mm lenses work perfectly on my film cameras but the DSLR's and AF lenses are necessary for my freelance work.

Now looking for some interesting wide angle lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Attila wrote:

I have done it!! I'm just waiting for adapters. Not selling my Nikons though. My Zuiko 35mm and 28mm lenses work perfectly on my film cameras but the DSLR's and AF lenses are necessary for my freelance work.

Now looking for some interesting wide angle lenses.

That is even wiser you can decide any time later to let Nikon to go or not. Buy an LCD viewfinder too, it helps a lot.

I suggest to take a look on these topics

http://forum.mflenses.com/sony-nex-3-factory-lcd-protector-replace-t49976,highlight,%2Blcd.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/sony-nex-focusing-aid-t36934.html
LCD viewfinder has a version which is lock into tripod mount , finally I use that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, I have been following the NEX posts carefully. I know a hood at sometime will be good, I'll keep an eye out.

I want something elegant and foldaway, those magnifying hoods are so big I might just take the DSLR out instead!

Will the Sony EVF work with my NEX 5k?