Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Effect of cleaning marks/spots on rear lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Effect of cleaning marks/spots on rear lens? Reply with quote

Hello,
in several topics, the bad state of a front lens has been well documented. It's effect on picture quality is rather small.

Can the same be said for spots or cleaning marks on the rear lens? I guess this is more critical (closer to the sensor/film, together with a smaller total area of the lens), but I'm not sure.

Someone could help me out here?
Filip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have a Jupiter 11a that has what can only described as a Wet petrol look on the back element where the coating is damaged.
Take a look at the section on my site for that lens and i hope that it answers your question.
I will try and take a picture of it when i am home for you
http://digital-darkroom.weebly.com/russian-jupiter-11a-1972.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way to say would be to take identical lenses, one without damage and one with. Then take comparison shots under desired conditions.

However, that would only give results which hold true for that lens and that damage. Vary the lens or the damage and repeat?

All in all, perhaps not possible to generalise?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Effect of cleaning marks/spots on rear lens? Reply with quote

youngcoby wrote:
Hello,
in several topics, the bad state of a front lens has been well documented. It's effect on picture quality is rather small.

Can the same be said for spots or cleaning marks on the rear lens? I guess this is more critical (closer to the sensor/film, together with a smaller total area of the lens), but I'm not sure.

Someone could help me out here?
Filip

It depends on the severity. I have cleaning marks on the back of my early Takumar 50/1.4 and it works perfectly well.