Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Space Shuttle Endeavour's Last Landing - Tamron 60B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Space Shuttle Endeavour's Last Landing - Tamron 60B Reply with quote

Against all odds - 300mm f2.8 1/60" ISO1600 on a ballhead that decided to break just beforehand. There is no photographically significant lighting to speak of at the Shuttle Landing Facility, and the shuttle itself does not have any lights.

Slightly cropped here.

Not cropped from here on.

The flame seen here is from the APU and is normal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing! Well done! One for the history books....

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive reportage!! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical photos Mike!
How far were you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 1000 feet perpendicular to the runway, mid field, on the observation deck below the tower. The shuttle is probably 2500-1500 feet away here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!. In that light conditions you did an excellent job!
As the collegues said, a work for history.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day you will be able to sell those photos. We can always say we saw these first in the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd from last looks really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical pictures.
Impressive!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely brilliant!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Absolutely brilliant!!!

+1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Mike! An exceptional job for an historic event.

I was one of maybe 200,000 people who came to Edwards Air Force Base to watch the first shuttle landing back in 1981, I believe it was. I borrowed a friend's Olympus with 50mm lens, loaded with slide film, and fired away as it landed. I didn't know beans about photography back then, but I still have the slides. A little white speck that eventually landed, and then kicked up a big roostertail of dust as it touched down.

The end of an era, and I'm honestly quite sad about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Amazing! Thanks a lot for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Congrats, Mike! An exceptional job for an historic event.

I was one of maybe 200,000 people who came to Edwards Air Force Base to watch the first shuttle landing back in 1981, I believe it was. I borrowed a friend's Olympus with 50mm lens, loaded with slide film, and fired away as it landed. I didn't know beans about photography back then, but I still have the slides. A little white speck that eventually landed, and then kicked up a big roostertail of dust as it touched down.

The end of an era, and I'm honestly quite sad about it.

It's pretty surreal to witness these things and realize they will never happen again. It's outright shameful that the program is ending this way, with so few flights on the orbiters and no clear replacement ready. But I won't lay the blame at any one person's feet like so many are quick to do - This is a systemic failure.

One more thing about the landing: The double sonic boom! It was loud and clear from there, like somebody fired a gun right in front of you. That alone made the trip worth it. I had originally resigned myself to not coming away with any pictures and just wanted to experience it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Space Shuttle Endeavour's Last Landing - Tamron 60B Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:

Theses are honestly some of the most beautiful images from the space shuttle that I have ever scene. Mysterious and haunting in look. Great shots!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Deep"]
cooltouch wrote:

It's pretty surreal to witness these things and realize they will never happen again. It's outright shameful that the program is ending this way, with so few flights on the orbiters and no clear replacement ready. But I won't lay the blame at any one person's feet like so many are quick to do - This is a systemic failure.

That's a pretty good way to put it, really. From where I sit, it looks like we've turned our backs on manned space flight once again. Regarding the recent talk of our returning to the moon, well, I'll believe it when I see it. NASA occupies such a tiny portion of the US budget, but it is also a very visible portion that just really seems to aggravate certain types (I'm envisioning the late and not missed Senator William Proxmire among others), so it is more susceptible than most agencies to budget cuts.

Back to your photos, though. Initially I was wishing you had been able to get close enough where the trees and shrubbery weren't in the way, but after looking at them again, I think they work well as a framing device, if you will, giving an impression of some intervening distance. It's also really cool the landing was at night -- makes the images much more dramatic, imo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful and thanks a lot for sharing these picyures of a rare moment.

Congrats for these pictures. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone.

cooltouch wrote:
Back to your photos, though. Initially I was wishing you had been able to get close enough where the trees and shrubbery weren't in the way, but after looking at them again, I think they work well as a framing device, if you will, giving an impression of some intervening distance. It's also really cool the landing was at night -- makes the images much more dramatic, imo.

Getting closer is something I'll be looking into for Atlantis, but it's not clear whether that's even a possibility. I know there were some photographers down by the runway - The Orlando Sentinel's Red Huber got the best shot of the night, I think. I've been discovering over and over at KSC that there's different levels of media access and not simply one. The wires get the highest level, naturally.