Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sunagor SUPER MAXIMA 28-200mm f3.5-5.3 (TOKINA?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Sunagor SUPER MAXIMA 28-200mm f3.5-5.3 (TOKINA?) Reply with quote

A big lens with a massive coverage. Did Sunagor make their own, or are they re-badged? In which case who made this and date roughly?

Not the sharpest tool in the box, but CA isn't totally rampant and reasonable contrast.

All either f5.6 or f8.

Missed the focus here slightly Sad

Last edited by martyn_bannister on Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, my memory is terrible. I've posted this one before Shocked Shocked Shocked HERE

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an unbranded 28-200 in M42 that looks a lot like this, mine says made in Korea on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have an unbranded 28-200 in M42 that looks a lot like this, mine says made in Korea on it.

My one is Olympus mount. The previous thread links to another which has it down as "77XXXXX tells you it was made by Kobori". One supposes that the serial on this copy being 87xxxxx might tell us more?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Not the sharpest tool in the box, but CA isn't totally rampant and reasonable contrast.

For me the constrast is TOO low and lot of flare .. Was the images taken at full app ?

martyn_bannister wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

My one is Olympus mount. The previous thread links to another which has it down as "77XXXXX tells you it was made by Kobori". One supposes that the serial on this copy being 87xxxxx might tell us more?

The 77xx serial numbers = Kobori is only for Vivitar lenses
Your lens looks exactly like a Kobory lens (exactly same look as the Vivitar 77xx 28-200)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All photos were taken at f5.6 or f8, so not full open.

THIS vivitar 28-200mm looks exactly like my Sunagor, EXCEPT that the macro is marked 1:4, whereas mine is marked 1:5.5. Different optical formulae?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Found it? HERE. Looks like it was made by Tokina ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just recieved this lens with a Canon 50mm (which is bosxed up and off to Jesito) and a T90.

Unfortunately it won't fit my 5Dii so we await the first roll of film through the T90 to see how it performs.

It does look a bit like my old Vivitar 28-200 that I hastily sold.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with PB. Kobori. Very short focus scale.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I'm with PB. Kobori. Very short focus scale.

I'm almost certain it's this Tokina. Did Tokina and Kobori have any relationship perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
I'm almost certain it's this Tokina. Did Tokina and Kobori have any relationship perhaps?

You are correct Martyn. It does look like that Tokina but I don't think Tokina made that Tokina. These lenses are from very late in the manual focus era and the majors (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) were concentrating on autofocus product. I think they turned to minority makers to fill their distributor's demand for manual focus product. See Walter G's thread on Minolta Cosina 28-70 for more on this train of thought. http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-cosina-28-70-3-5-4-8-t41917.html

The best evidence we have on this Sunagor's maker is its resemblance to a Vivitar and the Viv's serial indicating theirs originated at Kobori. It shares characteristics with two Kobori made lenses that I own, one Vivitar and one Promaster. The very short distance scale and macro mode on the focus ring.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

You are correct Martyn. It does look like that Tokina but I don't think Tokina made that Tokina. These lenses are from very late in the manual focus era and the majors (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) were concentrating on autofocus product. I think they turned to minority makers to fill their distributor's demand for manual focus product. See Walter G's thread on Minolta Cosina 28-70 for more on this train of thought. http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-cosina-28-70-3-5-4-8-t41917.html

The best evidence we have on this Sunagor's maker is its resemblance to a Vivitar and the Viv's serial indicating theirs originated at Kobori. It shares characteristics with two Kobori made lenses that I own, one Vivitar and one Promaster. The very short distance scale and macro mode on the focus ring.

Bill
I see where you are coming from.

Attrributing a manufacturer to a lens is complicated enough where a no-name brand commissions a particular lens manufacturer to produce something. But when a manufacturer actually commissions another manufacturer to produce a lens, yet the first manufacturer keeps their name on it! Well! What hope do we have Sad

So whose design would it be? Tokina design? Kobori design? My head hurts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, from experience, it's not a bad lens but not great..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I still don't believe Tamron/Tokina/Cosina/Kobori etc. were sharing designs Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sunagor SUPER MAXIMA 28-200mm f3.5-5.3 (TOKINA?) Reply with quote

It's definitely a Kobori. You'll find the same lens branded as Koboron. The earliest version was 1:4 macro and the later was 1:5.5 macro. Tokina had several Kobori-made lenses in its SZ-X line including this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had vivitar and a Sun identical to this.