Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Cosina 28-70 3.5-4.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Minolta Cosina 28-70 3.5-4.8 Reply with quote

Last of the Minolta MD lenses, believed to be made by Cosina. It's not suppose to be up to the standards of the 35-70, but I thought it was worth a try.
Anyone try this lens? Or know anything about this lens?
2 small scratches but it shouldn't effect IQ. Otherwise looks nice.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have this lens. Mine is in tough shape and I haven't made any pictures with it. I was comparing it to my 28-70 Kobori but there were noticeable differences.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I think I have this lens. Mine is in tough shape and I haven't made any pictures with it. I was comparing it to my 28-70 Kobori but there were noticeable differences.

If you do can you shoot some pictures with it and post them. Can't find much on the net.
Because I have a 10D I will only be able to post macro pics., and that isn't much of a test for a lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see f I have a working Minolta. My copy shows signs of a hard life. Filter ring is broken right off. Very plasticky, very cheap feeling lens. Definitely feels like 80s era Cosina!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You.

I bought this one mainly out of curiosity.I have some of the later MD lenses, but this is my first one of the suposed Cosina made lenses.
I'm actually really looking foward to see what the IQ is like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my MD alongside a Tamron 28-70. Same lens in different clothes. Should be Cosina and Tokina badged versions and several private label examples. I think this lens was a cooperative effort at the end of the manual focus era. There's a 70-210 f4-5.6 that also appears at least as Tamrom and Tokina and probably others.

With 70-210

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Tamron and Tokina would produce the same lens as they were, and still are, in direct competition. Plus the minimum focusing distance etc. are different aren't they?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Graham,

Competition makes strange bedfellows. When market size dwindles, it frequently makes sense to bury the hatchet. Alternately, if the market is demanding more than you can supply, cooperation can be good for all.

I am not saying I'm certain that the specific Cosina/Tamron/Tokina/et.al. zoom lenses I speak of are all identical, but they sure seem to be the same with variations in styling and detail.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the lens today.I'm very happy with the condition. Like the listing said 2 scratches and they are very minor. One I had a hard time even finding. Very Happy I'd rate rest of the condition as EXC +.

I tried a few shots but didn't have the time to really nail them. I can say this it does render colors accurately. I did try it on both red and white and it was dead on. So this might be Cosina made, but the optic design sure seems like Minolta to me.
I wanted to post something today, so I took a picture of the lenscap it came with.No PP just resized.
Not much of a test, but please tell me what you think. Please C/C.
All Comments and Critiques are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a quick break then I have more work to do. Crying or Very sad
But here is a crop of a shot at f3.5. Macro setting 1:4.

Last edited by walter g on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it at f8 but ran out of time. The shot above has no PP. This shot is at MFD .8 meters at Macro 1:4. The flower is a Wild Hibiscus.
Hopefully tomorrow I can post proper shots at f5.6-f8 to see how sharp the lens really is.
The lens is a 2 touch design and is actually easy to use. Really need a hood but I don't have one in 55mm.
Minor sharpening but no other PP.
Comments and Critique always welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite sharp for a zoom.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Looks quite sharp for a zoom.

Thank you. The performance so far is better then I expected it to be. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well flowers are difficult to show sharpness in a lens as it's a close up with small DOF, but on my monitor the stamen looks average sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well flowers are difficult to show sharpness in a lens as it's a close up with small DOF, but on my monitor the stamen looks average sharp.

To busy working today to set up a real test, But tomorrow I will try to set up a test to show sharpness.
I will post some Bokeh shots also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks quite good on my screen which makes it about an 8X enlargement.

Made some pictures with mine from Sunday to yesterday. Plan to get them developed this weekend. I'll post if they look good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I recently bought the Cosina 28-70/4 on a whim (it was going for just a few dollars so nothing to lose). I'm sure this isn't the same lens but maybe a very similar construction/formula ? Seems like a nice lens, not overly sharp but good enough and colours seem like true representations of life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Certainly looks quite good on my screen which makes it about an 8X enlargement.

Made some pictures with mine from Sunday to yesterday. Plan to get them developed this weekend. I'll post if they look good.

Thank You.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogfish wrote:
Hmm I recently bought the Cosina 28-70/4 on a whim (it was going for just a few dollars so nothing to lose). I'm sure this isn't the same lens but maybe a very similar construction/formula ? Seems like a nice lens, not overly sharp but good enough and colours seem like true representations of life.

That's what I like best about this lens, the colors seem to be dead on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't have time for testing today, I got home to late.
I did have time for a very quick pic at f3.5 that, I think shows off the Bokeh pretty well.
Comments and Critiques always welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more shot at f3.5.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. Sharpness is nothing special but as you say, colours and bokeh are very nice, contrast could be a bit higher but that can be controlled in PP.

These are with the EOS 10D right?

Is your sharpness setting in the menu turned up to the max of 3?

Once I did that with my 10D I saw a big improvement in sharpness.

I would say this lens is decent, the bokeh and colours could be put to good use methinks, sharpness isn't everything!

I still say get a NEX to really utilise your lovely collection of Minolta lenses, I think you will find it a big improvement on the 10D in IQ terms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous bokeh there Walter ! Personally I'd get the subject away from the centre of the photo. Now I'll have to get out a shoot a few with my Cosina this weekend !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice shots. Sharpness is nothing special but as you say, colours and bokeh are very nice, contrast could be a bit higher but that can be controlled in PP.

These are with the EOS 10D right?

Is your sharpness setting in the menu turned up to the max of 3?

Once I did that with my 10D I saw a big improvement in sharpness.

I would say this lens is decent, the bokeh and colours could be put to good use methinks, sharpness isn't everything!

I still say get a NEX to really utilise your lovely collection of Minolta lenses, I think you will find it a big improvement on the 10D in IQ terms.

Thanks,

Yup, using my 10D. I have sharpness maxed out in the camera settings.
I'm hoping it sharpens up nicely as I stop it down.
Hopefully I will have time to do a sharpness test later today.
I'm saving up for a NEX, but it will probably be 6 months before I have the money. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogfish wrote:
Gorgeous bokeh there Walter ! Personally I'd get the subject away from the centre of the photo. Now I'll have to get out a shoot a few with my Cosina this weekend !

Thank You. They were quick snaps just to show the bokeh.
I'd like to see some results from your Cosina. Please post them.