Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Twins !!! ???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Twins !!! ??? Reply with quote

These lenses appear to be virtually identical

The one on the right gives it away - it has TWO Shocked sets of aperture markings. It is also slightly different in that the aperture preset ring is ball detent, whereas the one on the left is push and turn detent.

All is revealed on the front.

The right hand one is a Tamron TWIN-TELE (nothing like my other tammy twin-tele HERE though - anyone know which is earlier/later?) so I assume it originally came with a tele-converter.
The left-hand one is branded SOLIGOR and I am told that it is a fairly early lens, since the brand name is in script, rather than capitals.

Any info on a date for either of these lenses?

A focus stacked macro taken using the soligor handheld on bellows (5 x 1/320s f8 @ ISO800).

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice lens.

Love the fly shot, can you tell us more about your focus stacking technique please?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I am only playing with macro and focus stacking. I know there are experts on this forum who are far better qualified than I.

FWIW though, I was using the Soligor (which is T mount) on M42 bellows racked as far out as they go. The lens was set at f8 to get a better DOF and I was holding a flash set to mid power in manual mode on my left hand on the end of the bellows. Canon 5D was held with right hand in manual mode, 1/320s with extension cable to flash.

Focus stacking technique is to find a stationary insect and pass the depth of field along it while snapping merrily away. Thiis is mainly pure guesswork, because of the bellows and the lens being at f8 there isn't much to see in viewfinder.

Work out which images are best for stacking, crop to the same size centred around the object of interest and then use the incredible CombineZP software to stack the images.

Voila!

The original images are HERE

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same one with the Soligor name, and the T before the serial number .I am guessing they hail from the same period ,and are lenses Tamron made.The similarities are too many.

Here is more info on the Tamron lens you show-Link->TAMRON JAPANESE

My copy:

And a sample:

Cheers

Last edited by Kathmandu on Mon May 02, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely the same lens. Yours seems in much better condition.

A couple of shots from this afternoon using the Tamron...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is an entire series of Soligor lenses that were made by Tamron, and they are designated with the "T"; I have several of these.

The whole early Soligor "T" series - I know these lenses were sold under the Soligor brand, though of course there may be others. These lenses are from some of the first T-mount series - almost the first T-mount lenses really - but see below. These seem to have all been introduced in 1961-1964.

35/2.8 - I have this as a Soligor
135/2.8 (I am not sure if any of the "converto" were sold as Soligors; I have seen none) - I have this as Soligor and Tamron
There are at least two variants, as I have a couple of the Soligors that have a different paint finish, but are still clearly the same.
180/3.5 - I have this as a Soligor
200/3.5 - I have this as an Aetna
250/4.5 - I have this as a Soligor
300/5.5 - I have this as an Aetna
350/5.6 - I have this as a Soligor
400/6.9 - I have this as a Tamron
450/8 - I don't have this, but I have seen it.

I have some of them pictured here - I need to update this, as I have several others now.

http://forum.mflenses.com/old-t-mount-tamron-tele-lenses-my-collection-t14257,highlight,%2Btamron.html

135/4.5 "Twin Tele", "Converto" etc. - This may have been sold as a Soligor, but I don't recall seeing one. This is NOT a T-mount.

135/3.5 - I have this as a Soligor, but it is not a T-mount - its actually a mini-or proto T-mount like the 135/4.5.

There are several of the early Tamrons that may never have been sold as Soligors, particularly the premium models that introduced the T-mount - these may be the absolute first T-mount lenses, from maybe 1960-61

58/1.2
200/2.8 - I have this as a Coligon
400/5.6 - I have this as a Coligon
The weird 400/6.9 Nestar collapsing lens - I had one as a Tamron, gave it to Attila

And some of the lower cost budget types I haven't seen as Soligors either -

200/5.9
200/6.3 - I have this as a Tamron
300/6.9
400/7.5 - I have this as a Tamron
400/8

I don't think any of the early Tamron zoomes were sold as Soligors.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, there is an entire series of Soligor lenses that were made by Tamron, and they are designated with the "T"; I have several of these.

Can you please tell me how do you distinguish between these lenses and these? I mean what does distinguish Tamron made Soligors from Tokina made Soligors?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

luis, you are an encyclopedia!

Shocked

I shall look into these Smile Have you a picture showing these lenses?

EDIT::::: OOPS! Sorry - just saw your link. Many thanks for this info!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Can you please tell me how do you distinguish between these lenses and these? I mean what does distinguish Tamron made Soligors from Tokina made Soligors?

The early Tokinas have a serial number beginning with "H" while the Tamrons begin with "T".

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, forgot to mention, I have two Soligor 450/8 lenses made by Tamron...I must try them out!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to own a Soligor brand camera lens. The samples look really good but it's a bit of a lottery getting a decent one it seems.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens as Soligor branded. It's a very good lens. I also have a 35mm f3.5 and a 135mm 3.5 with T-number in similar design.

Soligor 135mm f2.8

The twin tele version is quite exotic and is the first time I see Wink

The Tamron twin tele 135mm f4.5 has also got an soligor brother Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Great tests! Reply with quote

I love the Tamrons! The Soligors confused me but I had not noticed the T designation, thanks for that!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

A TWIN Soligor - cool! Smile Smile

Have YOU got the matching teleconverters????? :envy: if you have.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Yes I have the Soligor with the tele converter, I'll put up a picture when I can (it's in a box because we're moving to another town these days! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Yes I have the Soligor with the tele converter, I'll put up a picture when I can (it's in a box because we're moving to another town these days! Very Happy

I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one taken with the soligor today - love the colors!

Whole set HERE