Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

El-nikkor 80/5.6 - a new favourite
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: El-nikkor 80/5.6 - a new favourite Reply with quote

Apologies for so many, but I got carried away.Embarassed It's the end of summer and flowers are fading. I just got the el-nikkor 80/5.6 so I rushed out to try it. I am amazed at the quality from this little enlarging lens that cost me less than $30. I really like the operating distance (the 50 needs to be about an inch or so from the subject, which can be very difficult in a "live" garden). There is very little sharpening done to these and very little PP in general (no saturation boost etc, mainly adjustment to exposure).
1. Flowers are very small, whole head is barely 2 inches

2 + 3. Borage (I think Rolf posted an earlier set of this edible flower). It is barely 5 cm across and usually hangs its head down (I moved it)

4. Grass seed (about 5cm long

5. I like the distance away from this one!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a terrific sharp lens, Patrick. It surely put several dedicated macro lenses to blame.
These EL-Nikkors are in my wish list, for my enlarger.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos Patrick....Makes me want to get my Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm F5.6 out & play with it again. Looks as though you possibly used a flash ? How did you mount it to your camera? Bellows?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
You could do a lot worse than an el-nikkor. That 50/2.8 in particular is very very sharp, but I am impressed by this 80/5.6 also. I am getting a 105/5.6 soon too. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Scott
The macro man - thank you. I have a variety of options:
1. Accura 25 - 55mm helicoid with M42
2. Novoflex bellows/focusing rail with exakta mounts plus Steinheil Culminar 105/4.5 (built for this bellows). I mount that with a nikon/exakta adapter made by Nikon! On the front I recently acquired a novoflex exakta to M39 adapter (perfect for the el-nikkors which are all M39 threaded).
3. BPM bellows - an old british make with interchangeable mounts at both ends. I have sets for M42, Nikon, Edixa, Practina and a female M39. This lets me use a variety of lenses on most cameras.
Plus the mandatory Viv ser1 90/2.5 and Tamron 90/2.5...

Too much of a good thing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! impressive sharpness & colors
80 mm is a nice focal on bellow, 135 mm allow infinity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors are superb......more please!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. Good colours & sharpness.

I've a 50mm Schneider but rarely use it as the working distance is too short and the magification is crazy, even with the bellows at their shortest. My 135mm Wray Pullin will focus way past infinity so I guess your 80 must must almost get there?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great results and a bargain!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a well know old little gem this one. You'll also like the 105mm and I recommend the 135mm too. The sharpest of the whole series is the 3.5/63mm but its prices have skyrocketed unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible sharpness and colors.
Seems to be a real bargain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some info about EL-Nikkors>

Name's suffix "N" means New type of EL-Nikkor, older one has no "N" in its name, but they look better. Very Happy

See the "corrected wavelength range", they are actually APO lenses. Cool click the image to enlarge

That is why the images done by EL-Nikkors are superb. Laughing

note: For older EL-Nikkors you can have 135/5.6 too, unfortunately number of production for
63/3.5 is very small, so it is very hard to find it. The newer one is a bit faster 63/2.8N.

Last edited by koji on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing result! Time to sell my macro lenses Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you koji - fascinating and informative

Attila
Try it - it's fun, and so well priced Smile Smile

patrickh

PS Even works on film

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you mount ? On below ? It has screw mount ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, these enlarger lenses have L mount thread (M39), filter sizes are
40.5 mm for EL Nikkors. You can find L->F adapter easily, also L->M42 too.

And also 40.5 mm to 46 mm step up ring or more, so reverse mounting is
also easily done.

After these settings, you can also use bellows or more helicoid to attach to
your favourite camera.

Last edited by koji on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Attila, these enlarger lenses have L mount thread (M39), filter sizes are
40.5 mm for EL Nikkors. You can find L->F adapter easily, also L->M42 too.

And also 40.5 mm to 46 mm step up ring or more, so reverse mounting is
also easily done.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly fine shots, Patrick. Shocked What a lens! And great compositions, truly. I love them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

Touch of forelock - thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And not to forget: the longer focal length EL-Nikkors provide a rather large image diameter (80, 105, 135mm), so Tilt & Shift is possible using a suitable TS-bellows!!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought this lens for 50€, it's literally new... so it can take the last place in my backpack Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, you'll be happy with it! If you ever need a filter, it has an odd 34.5mm thread mount, but I have adaptors made to 52mm - just in case.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Klaus, I'll see if I'll ever need it adapted to 52mm (maybe if I lose a cap) Wink
so far I'm considering m39->m42 adapter + m42->nikon adapter + nikon PK13, bellows are to awkward for me so I'll rather buy another PK ring instead if one won't give enough magnification...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Klaus: how much is the working distance?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a deal with a seller of EL 80/5.6... he's going to send EL 80/5.6 AND EL 50/2.8 both NEW/NEVER USED in original package for 70€ inc. shipping Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Patrick! I have a couple macro lenses, and one goes with me almost everywhere. But when I get the bug to do close-up and macro, out comes the bellows and enlarger lenses!

I've never tried the El Nikkor 80/5.6, but the 105/5.6 is one of my favorites. Great lenses. Amazing quality images, especially considering the prices.