Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need expert opinion about this item...thanks!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Need expert opinion about this item...thanks! Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290558042483&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_946

Lens is a Chinon 55 1.4 auto, do you think is it good and sharp? This model is it a tomioka build? Let me know, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Chinon lenses are on the mediocre side. There aren't many 1.4 M42 lenses to choose from, but I prefer both Takumars and Pancolars for edge resolution, bokeh and colours. Admittedly I've only tried the 1.7/55 so the 1.4 might be better, and of course there is always variation of individual copies, but I think this particular auction is already overvalued at £51.00.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your opinion 51£ it's too much for body and lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from the pictures whether that is a Tomioka build. I have the Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4 and Argus-Chinon 55/1.7 and find them both to be fine lenses. However, each only cost me US$3. I think UK£51 is a bit much. I think UK£15 would be much more reasonable. Skip this one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Tomioka branded and non-branded versions of this lens, and like them both equally. Have never really noticed a huge difference in quality between them.

Some samples may be found here - http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-tomioka-1-4-55-on-eos-5d-t13134,highlight,%2Btomioka.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh...in Europe, very difficult to find this prices!
But for this type of items...is there custom problems and taxes from America to Italy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to get a 50/1.4 lens for under £40 in m42 mount these days, well certainly from auction sites anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...now it's difficult: camera body+case+Chinon 55 1.4 for 51 pounds, I think is good!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
It's very difficult to get a 50/1.4 lens for under £40 in m42 mount these days, well certainly from auction sites anyway...

I agree. Reference to much lower prices perhaps refer to other times or to other channels (like local garage sales).
However, my Rikenon 55/1.4 is not bad (samples here: http://forum.mflenses.com/kitchen-tour-with-rikenon-55-1-4-t35490.html ).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago, I would have agreed with Peter to 100%. Too expensive.
But f/1.4 lenses have become dearer and dearer. Sad
51 quid is overpriced in my eyes, but the normal amount such a set goes for nowadays.

If you are not in a hurry and if you don't need that camera, I would wait until I'd find a Tak 1.4/50 for the same price. If a copy has some marks, this price is realistic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't come back sooner. If you do a search on Ebay for Takumar 1.4 completed listings, many have been bought recently for around £40 - £50. Even the non-SMC lenses are better quality than any Chinon. It's a question of patience, and if a lens goes above your price then another one will surely come along soon. I've had to wait over a year for several lenses.

As for the camera body, the CX is one of the earlier models, fully manual only, the same as a Spotmatic. If you really want a Chinon I'd recommend the CE-3 Memotron, which has an automatic metal-blade shutter and exposure lock. Several members here have this camera, me included. The later models (CE-4+) were changed to K mount and had fewer functions.

For a big step-up in quality over Chinon, though, I'd recommend a Minolta camera, maybe the XG-M or, even better, the XD-7 with a 1.7 or 1.4 Rokkor MD lens. I bought a beautiful mint 1.4/50 Rokkor MD Type 3 on Ebay for 31 Euros last September.

BTW, if you can't find what you want in Europe, try going into the Advanced Search options on Ebay and set the search to Worldwide. I've bought many lenses from USA.

Good luck. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
I've got the Tomioka branded and non-branded versions of this lens, and like them both equally. Have never really noticed a huge difference in quality between them.

Some samples may be found here - http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-tomioka-1-4-55-on-eos-5d-t13134,highlight,%2Btomioka.html

I think Danistuta version is quite different. I have both. Quite pleasing results. But one version has greenish coating (like bellow) and Tomioka branded not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
....... I prefer both Takumars and Pancolars for edge resolution, bokeh and colours....................

+1.

And if you use the 50 mm only few times, the pentacon 1,8/50 is a cheap and good option.

If the F/1,4 is the lens for you, my option is the MC Takumar (S-M-C or SMC).

Rino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those US$3 prices were not garage sales, they were eBay auctions, and not too long ago. But yes, the sellers did not know what they had, nor properly list them. Someone sells "old Argus camera" and for US$6 I won a minty Chinon-made CR-3E body with 55/1.7. Someone sells "lot of old Sears lenses" and for US$9 I win 3x TC and three Tomioka-made primes: 28/2.8, 55/1.4, 135/2.8. But in recent straight-up auctions I've won a Yashica ML 50/1.4 for US$10.25, whereas the Super-Takumar 50/1.4 was US$53. All prices include shipping.

Super-deals might happen in straight-up auctions, but they're more likely with murky listings. Look at everything. Be patient. Take small chances. Set a price limit, and don't go more than US$5 beyond it. As mentioned, if you don't win one, another will come along soon. I bid low on many lenses, lose 98.5% of them, and do well with the rest. I still think UK£51 is too much. But it's your money, so have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I think Danistuta version is quite different. I have both. Quite pleasing results. But one version has greenish coating (like bellow) and Tomioka branded not.

Greenish reflection? Like the fujica EBC, nikkors in one time, minoltas MC,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an owner of Chinon & Takumar lenses, I would have to disagree with Peter. The Chinons (135mm & 200mm) I have are very good, whereas the Takumars (S-M-C 50mm F1.4, 55mm F1.8, 135mm F3.5) are just good. The only one that stands out is the Super-Tak 24mm, which is excellent.

IMO Takumars are over-hyped. Yes they are good and build quality is top notch, but it's difficult to be blown away by them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Being an owner of Chinon & Takumar lenses, I would have to disagree with Peter. The Chinons (135mm & 200mm) I have are very good, whereas the Takumars (S-M-C 50mm F1.4, 55mm F1.8, 135mm F3.5) are just good. The only one that stands out is the Super-Tak 24mm, which is excellent.

IMO Takumars are over-hyped. Yes they are good and build quality is top notch, but it's difficult to be blown away by them.

I agree with you. We gonna be slaughtered now ?

I like my Tomioka made Revuenon 55 1.4 more than my Takumar 50 1.4, and most of all I just LOVE my Topcon 58 1.4, words just cant describe that lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I agree with you. We gonna be slaughtered now ?

I like my Tomioka made Revuenon 55 1.4 more than my Takumar 50 1.4, and most of all I just LOVE my Topcon 58 1.4, words just cant describe that lens.

I have a Petri CC 1.8/55 that is much better than the Pentax-A 2/50 I have, sharpness is about equal but the Petri has better colours, bokeh and character, the Pentax is very boring imho. I don't have a Takumar but used a lot of 1.8/55 Taks in college and don't remember them being as nice as this 1.8/55 Petri, they were also much larger and heavier than the Petri from memory.

Thing that has put me off buying Taks is the price, everyone knows they are good lenses so they attract a lot of bids on ebay so other brands always end up being cheaper and I don't feel I'm missing much by not having any Taks. I would like the macro-Tak though...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, are all Chinon lenses good IQ? I see a lot of Chinon 50s for pennies, I already have loads of 50s though so wondered what the other length Chinons are like?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the opposite! Laughing I've always found Chinon lenses to be very good, but as far as standard lenses go, I just love the Super Takumar 55/1.8 and 55/2...the bokeh and general look is right up my street Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won a Chinon CP-X with 50mm 1.7 for £10, bargain? I don't know, but as some people seem to really like the chinon lenses, maybe not such a bad buy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:
I just won a Chinon CP-X with 50mm 1.7 for £10, bargain? I don't know, but as some people seem to really like the chinon lenses, maybe not such a bad buy Smile

All Chinon lenses at least good I never heard any bad opinion about them. It is semi bargain perhaps Wink due most third party 50mm lenses go dirt cheap like this. Enjoy your new great lens, I look forward your shoots.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say my opinion is probably a bit biased and I'm not surprised a few people disagree with me. I was brought up on European cameras and lenses in the 1950s, before many brands of Japanese lenses were established. My experience when they did arrive was that lenses built by the highest quality camera manufacturers like Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, etc, were generally equal in quality to the best European lenses, but there were many other "third-party" brands aimed at the mass market, whose emphasis was on competitive pricing rather than on quality. I put Chinon in this category.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: D Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have a Petri CC 1.8/55 that is much better than the Pentax-A 2/50 I have, sharpness is about equal but the Petri has better colours, bokeh and character, the Pentax is very boring imho. I don't have a Takumar but used a lot of 1.8/55 Taks in college and don't remember them being as nice as this 1.8/55 Petri, they were also much larger and heavier than the Petri from memory.

My Super-Takumar 55/1.8 and 55/2 each weigh 200g; my M42 Petri CC 55/1.8 weighs 180g; my older (now sold) bayonet CC 55/1.8 was 190g. Not so different, eh? My SMC-M 50/2's (almost the same as the A50) are 160g -- and many lenses are better than the M50. Sad

I have a hard time saying which is 'better' amongst my favorite Fifty's, except that the SMC(K) 50/1.2 is unique! And the Tomioka-made 55/1.4 is close. But I see differences between Fast Fifty's, not better/worse. SuperTak 50/1.4 and 55/1.8; Yashica ML 50/1.4 and DX 50/1.7; SMC-M 50/1.7; Meyer Oreston and Pentacon Electric 50/1.8; OM 50/1.8; Rikenon 50/2 and 55/1.8; Chinon 55/1.7; Mamiya-Sekor (Tomioka?) 55/1.8; Petri CC 55/1.8; Helios-44M 58/2. All are excellent in their own ways. So are some slower ones, especially the CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (alu, 13 iris blades); Meyer Primotar-E 50/3.5; and Macro-Takumar 50/4 (1:1), which is indeed a wonder!

(I am about to leave on a long journey. Which 5 or 10 of those should I take? Which do I dare to leave behind?)
(OK, I'll likely take the K50/1.2, FA50/1.4, ML 50/1.4, M50/1.7, T55/1.4, ST55/1.8, Helios, Tessar, and MacroTak.)
(Or maybe the Oreston, Rikenon's, OM, Chinon, and Petri deserve to go too. Enough!)

Are Takumars over-rated? Some, maybe. And others are still vastly under-rated and under-priced. Two of the best deals around are still the Tak 55/2 (which sometimes goes UNSOLD for US$10!) and Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 (small and amazing). The Tak 55/2 has exactly the same optics as the now-prized Tak 55/1.8, just a 1/3-stop slower aperture.

I have not yet had bad experiences with Tomioka's, Petri's, Chinon's, Ricoh's, Yashica's, Meyer's -- hey, I love almost all my primes! Even the poor old Domi... But I do not like to pay much for them. When auction prices drift above US$50, I usually stop paying attention. This might change if I receive another good inheritance. But I don't want anyone to die! What a quandary...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I have to say my opinion is probably a bit biased and I'm not surprised a few people disagree with me. I was brought up on European cameras and lenses in the 1950s, before many brands of Japanese lenses were established. My experience when they did arrive was that lenses built by the highest quality camera manufacturers like Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, etc, were generally equal in quality to the best European lenses, but there were many other "third-party" brands aimed at the mass market, whose emphasis was on competitive pricing rather than on quality. I put Chinon in this category.

+1 this is exactly right with some exceptions like 21mm, 1.2 lens etc.