Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

400 mm Petri 6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
newton wrote:
I am not sure if that adapter will work for it. I think it is the inverse of the adapter, perhaps, a Petri T mount.

It is indeed the right one (there is no particular interest in having the inverse). It is for T and T2 mount lenses (sort of standard, non Petri specific), to put them on Canon EOS bodies. There are even cheaper versions around.

newton wrote:

eBay sellers are selling these lenses for over $120. The value ultimately lies in what someone is willing to pay. I think for a 400 mm lens, it is pretty decent. The alternative is to pay a thousand or more. I think it is worth it.

I'm observing 400mm and 500mm since some time, because I want one too. However, prices are lower. For a 400mm auction, I'm aiming at <40€ (shipping included); in Buy-it-now, prices are as low as 65€ (shipping included). Something more for 500mm. With 100-120 euros you find brand new versions of those old lenses (Danubia, Samyang, etc: not sure about quality). With a thousand you buy Zeiss, on these sizes Wink .

I have 5.6/300, 6.3/400 and 8/500, paid very little for them and never use them as I have a Tair-3C 300mm that is much better.

If you want a 6.3/400 or 8/500, drop me a PM you can have either of mine for just the shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a 300 mm. The 400 mm is too long for my everyday shooting. Wink. Ha ha!

But yeah a shorter lens is what is next. I have no knowledge or experience with TAIR so have to wait until I do the research on these.

Regarding Russian lenses, I am out of reach for them. I live in the United States and until they make there way over here in huge volumes at low low low prices, they are not for me. Lucky you live in a proximity to these. I, however, buy on the used market for my junk that has stayed and been very well kept by collector's and families for the past 30-40 years preserved in good old fashion American ways, which I am proud of, with little worry or risk. Send me one of your TAIRS and then I think it would be a snap like crossing the English Channel. BTW, congrats on the Royal Wedding thingy. I know I won't be watching. Wink. lol

Last edited by newton on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
You use all your lenses 24/7? Wow, that's impressive to be doing nothing else but using all your lenses all of the time. Laughing

Anyway, that sample certainly looks ok for a cheap lens.

Yeah, Martin, thanks! LOL. I shouldn't divulge my personal life on a public forum, but I do sleep with my lenses and my camera, too. My large bed is a sea of lenses. I am very lucky enough to still be buoyant! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:

I'm observing 400mm and 500mm since some time, because I want one too.

I would get one. They are A LOT of fun to shoot with. There are times when I go shooting with it, I attract the cops and swat teams, as I did a few weeks ago. Seven police units showed up!!!!! No one else's new or old telephoto lenses attracted anything like that until I showed up! LOL. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
newton wrote:
I made my own adapter. It works. I don't get to infinity though even though I should, as you are mentioning. It is frustrating because it is a nice piece of glass! Very frustrating!!!

I must be missing something. I scanned everyone's responses and may have missed something.

The missing thing is registration distance (as mentioned by others): if you build an adapter without knowing the registration distance of the lens system and of the target system, you will be able to reach infinity only by chance.
Here a list of registration distances: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Since T2 has 55mm and EOS 44mm, your adapter perhaps resulted over 11mm of length. If less, infinity is reached before the end of focus range (check it). One adapter at random: http://cgi.ebay.it/T2-T-mount-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-450D-5D-50D-XSi-XS-Adapter-/260489219386

I do not think this is the right adapter. The eBay seller's ad is mislabeled.

I checked that link above. This is a Petri bayonet mount with a register distance of 45.5 mm, the same for as C/Y. Canon EOS has a register distance of 44 mm. This distance works for C/Y.

I should be able to get to infinity and I do not believe the proper EOS to Petri bayonet mount is sold.

I am probably off by just a bit and want to ask how to fix that. If I shorten the distance a bit, do I get closer to infinity? I think this might be possible with a little bit of work. Suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton: I based my suggestion on what you wrote here:

newton wrote:

Anyways, mine has the T-mount, the classic Petri or whomever makes it, T-mount.

If your lens has not T-mount, of course you cannot use a T-mount adapter Wink . If it has a T-mount, such adapter is definitely ok.
T-mount is a 42x0.75 screw, basically. As already asked, put a picture of the mount to help in recognition. It could even be that has a T-mount to Petri bayonet on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the logic. Thanks! Wink

Here is the pic. It is in the middle of the thread.

http://forum.mflenses.com/i-found-a-petri-lens-t37915.html

Ironically, the mount is like a Canon T2 mount but Petri's is different. I find it cool that Canon adopted or paid homage to Petri in making their EOS mounts.

If you directly try to fit a Petri bayonet into your DSLR it almost fits with no adapter!!!!!! Canon EOS and Petri ----pretty damn close.

Check the link and my pics. I need to figure out a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I like the logic. Thanks! Wink

Here is the pic. It is in the middle of the thread.

http://forum.mflenses.com/i-found-a-petri-lens-t37915.html

Ironically, the mount is like a Canon T2 mount but Petri's is different. I find it cool that Canon adopted or paid homage to Petri in making their EOS mounts.

If you directly try to fit a Petri bayonet into your DSLR it almost fits with no adapter!!!!!! Canon EOS and Petri ----pretty damn close.

Check the link and my pics. I need to figure out a solution.

I did not see a 400mm among the pictures (which would have been more useful). If you mean this one, it is not a T mount (and neither a T2 mount that by the way is not a Canon mount). As suggested by Ian, is a Petri mount. The hypothesis of other readers here was that your lens is a T mount because most of 400/500mm of those years were made with T/T2 mount and adapted (which, missing a picture, is still an option).

I think you are confusing mount names (even in the last post)... T and T2 mounts are specific screw type mounts, not a generic name for some mount. There is no Canon T2 mount.
It is hard to tell EOS is a copy of Petri mount... some more expert member will tell you the difference, however Petri is breech lock style, EOS is bayonet style. Many mounts have three tabs. However

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know the terminology. Sorry. Thanks for the clarification even though it may take more examples to fully get it. So three tabs is almost standard...okay cool.

Bayonet vs mount
Male vs. Female?

Why T in the name? What is root? Is T related to T2. I don't have any idea.

I will post a pic of the 400 mm. I am tempted to change it to an M42, but I have other Petris that are not going to infinity because of my home-made mount. It needs to be pushed back a tad bit to reach infinity...the real trick.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the picture I promised. Please tell me what the mount is and if there is an adapter available somewhere for EOS. Thanks! (Sorry for the flash, I was being lazy.)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an old Tokina made lens with a T-mount. I had the same branded as Hanimex.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
That's an old Tokina made lens with a T-mount. I had the same branded as Hanimex.

Yes looks like it, I had a Hanimex 300mm version many moons ago.

Newton - unscrew the three or four small screws holding the mount on (the screws set into the knurled part of the adapter) and post another picture of the camera end of the lens (without the silver mount).

newton wrote:
I have no knowledge or experience with TAIR so have to wait until I do the research on these.

You said earlier in this thread that all the experts are here so why do you need to research Smile