Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

There's a picture there somewhere?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: There's a picture there somewhere? Reply with quote

Do you ever get those days when you see a view and you know there is a picture there but can't think what it is....well I gave up on this:-

erm maybe the swans are in the wrong place Vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus ver on film:-

erm Lets get rid of the swans and try it upside down:-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not only upside down, it's also mirrored at a vertical line, isn't it?

Sometimes there is just too much in an image...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****it's also mirrored at a vertical line, isn't it?****

Indeed, but I'm sure a gifted photographer with a full set of lenses would have found something in that view Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten is right, there is a lot of detail going on in that scene (a problem typical when shooting forests), probably too much to let the eye rest on a main subject.
I am not a gifted photographer but that's what I would have done had I had to photograph that scene:

1) in the name of "less is more", remove colours. Even better, use B&W film from the start, with an orange filter to bring attention on the houses;

2) to give priority on the houses as main subject, I would have used a very fast wide angle lens, such as a 28mm f/2 or 35mm f/1.4. That would have blurred the foreground removing finer details;

3) used a digradant filter with dark part on bottom, to darken the pond's water compared to the sky; alternatively, in the wet darkroom, "burn" that part with some more exposure. Probably using a slight higher than normal setting for multigrade paper (something around 2.5 or 3)

Here's a digital simulation of the steps above made with Photoshop. Not like the real thing, but it should provide the impression:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio and I see what you mean...but maybe the only answer to these type of views is:- it needs a shaft of sunlight to light up the subject.
Originally I did try a square format but I didn't like that either with the mill being framed by trees and reflections.