Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica AR 85 1.8 - Odd bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Konica AR 85 1.8 - Odd bokeh Reply with quote

Hi!

I just took this this morning on the OM-D with a Konica AR 85 1.8, at 5.6. The bokeh is really distracting, which I was not expecting. Has anyone else seen this type of bokeh with this lens, or with a lens of this type / focal length?

Picture was taken from about 15' / 5m. Focus was theoretically on the eye. Slight sharpening and PP, also cropped and resized to show both beastie and bokeh.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bokeh is very harsh.
I see purple fringles as well.
Bokeh looks like wide open.
I have the same lens out today and will take a look.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very much like the bokeh of the Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 !
I don't dislike it on some occasions ...

C U
Rafael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

hoanpham, what did you find from your copy of this lens?

hoanpham wrote:
That bokeh is very harsh.
I see purple fringles as well.
Bokeh looks like wide open.
I have the same lens out today and will take a look.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I just recheck the images.
The only photo with the harsh bokeh I got is taken at 5m/15feet, wide open.

What I did is systematically taken shots at f1.8, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, with following distances (to subject): infinity, 10m/30feet, ~4m/12feet, then compare the highlight bokeh. Only at f1.8 and medium distance (non-infinity, 12-30feet) that produces the harsh bokeh. Closer distances blurred out the harsh ring. Less than 4m/12feet, f1.8 gives quite a good bokeh.

Could you retest your sample and note the distance to subject, (and if possible distance to background), at different f-stop to confirm? especially f5.6, because I don't have the result as yours at f5.6. Did you crop your photo?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PP, using nex5n.

#1 At f1.8, distance 4m/12feet:

#2 At f2.8, distance 4m/12feet:

#3 At f4, distance 4m/12feet:

#4 At f5.6, distance 4m/12feet:

#5 At f8, distance 4m/12feet:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens, but AFAIK, not the most recommended 85mm in the bokeh department. Anyway, it's why I didn't bought it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this type of bokeh has magical qualities but most of the times it gets used in the wrong subjects therefore transforming it in something rather undesired.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
I believe this type of bokeh has magical qualities but most of the times it gets used in the wrong subjects therefore transforming it in something rather undesired.

I agree with this statement on a broader level. I find that many lenses can either fail or succeed based on the photographer's use of them. I have several myself that perform very well when used to accent their strengths.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glaslover & hoanpham - in case you want to get rid of the lens, I'll be happy to pick it up from you, at a discounted price of course - due to the <bad> bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may ask glasslover for his copy, hopefully cheap, but i ok with the bokeh Laughing
Perhaps this thread can put the lens back to a reasonable price level?
I may get some more copies of this lens if that's the case, cant say no to a 85mm lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have one for you, ducdao, but don't know yet if I'll be selling it. I have three lenses at that approximate focal length and am trying to skinny down to only my preferred lenses at any focal length. The Konica and Jupiter-9 were waiting along with many other lenses for my recent NEX purchase. I've had so many lenses to evaluate that I just haven't gotten to the Konica other than a few test shots. After reading this thread last night, I took the following picture wide open at 1/30 second handheld. It seems to have performed admirably in this setting without conditions that would cause distracting bokeh. Click for full size.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I may have one for you, ducdao, but don't know yet if I'll be selling it. I have three lenses at that approximate focal length and am trying to skinny down to only my preferred lenses at any focal length. The Konica and Jupiter-9 were waiting along with many other lenses for my recent NEX purchase. I've had so many lenses to evaluate that I just haven't gotten to the Konica other than a few test shots. After reading this thread last night, I took the following picture wide open at 1/30 second handheld. It seems to have performed admirably in this setting without conditions that would cause distracting bokeh. Click for full size.

Yes, indeed. It looks much better.

To be frank, I don't know why this lens goes for so much on eBay. I have more than a dozen of 85mm and from a value stand point, the Nikkor 85/1.8 and Takumar 85/1.9 are the best IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the harsh bokeh here.

All photos were taken in bright sunlight using a Konica Hexanon 85 1.8 at ~4m distance using an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro 4/3 camera. Focus in all shots was on the longest & most feathery bit of bark poking out from the side of the tree, near mid-frame in all shots. No post-processing other than resizing, and no cropping:

f1.8

f2.8

f4.0

f5.6

f8.0

f11

f16

Cheers!

Last edited by glasslover on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I saw some somewhat harsh bokeh in the distance, but really not too bad.

All photos were taken in bright sunlight using a Konica Hexanon 85 1.8 at ~8m distance using an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro 4/3 camera. Focus in all shots was on the rightmost tall flower, to right of center in all shots. No post-processing other than resizing, and no cropping:

f1.8

f2.8

f4.0

f5.6

f8.0

f11

f16

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I see a bit of a bokeh issue at f1.8, shrinking to little at f2.8, and disappearing thereafter.

All photos were taken in bright sunlight using a Konica Hexanon 85 1.8 at ~2m distance using an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro 4/3 camera. Focus in all shots was on the taillight. No post-processing other than resizing, and no cropping:

f1.8

f2.8

f4.0

f5.6

f8.0

f11

f16

Cheers!