Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-3 question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the non-gun version, so I can not answer your question.
The non-gun is quite a heavy lens and not really comfortable to handle.
Plus my copy must have been disassembled and reassembled with a reversed lens element, because it is a super soft glow lens, like, special effect erotic photography.
Those who have a good copy say that it's a sharp lens.
However I would expect a rather low contrast lens, quite different from contemporary tele lenses you maybe are used to.
I would say it should look quite similar to Veijo's Cooke triplet, image-quality wise. Resolving, but low in contrast.

-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as optical performance is concerned, I can really recommend the Tair.
I also have the sniper version and focusing really can be a nuisance, but it produces very nice pictures and with f4.5 it is pretty fast for a 300mm.

Its biggest drawback is its size and weight. I do not use it often, it is just inexpedient.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take instead of a Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AI good lens also and going cheaply all time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so-and-so-cheap is acceptable I would recommend the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/300.

-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you have Canon camera.Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 a fantastic lens , but might be slow for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Orio wrote:
If so-and-so-cheap is acceptable I would recommend the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/300.

That would be nice however I don't think it'll quite meet my definition of cheap (say under ?50 in this case)!

No, definitely it would not. I paid for mine 120something Euros and I consider it an excellent bargain already.

-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under 50 EUR you can buy garbage only in this focal length

Vivitar 300mm f5.6 TX mount not a good one but you able to get for this money.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_300mm_f5_6_tx/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a difference. I paid for my Tair-3s (complete set) € 30,-
And since I do not use 300mm often, that was about the highest price I would have paid for a 300mm. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Attila wrote:
under 50 EUR you can buy garbage only in this focal length

?50 is about 70-80 Euros, however I'd consider more for the right lens as there is no point getting something that isn't lighter or sharper than my Sigma 70-300 APO. I've seen photo-sniper kits go for about ?60 or so.
There is a Pentacon 300mm F4 listed on Ebay at the moment Click here to see on Ebay - anyone know if that's worth having?

You will surely find no manual prime lens of 300mm that is lighter than your Sigma zoom, simply because the prime 300mm manual are full of real glass and metal while the Sigma zoom is plastic in the barrel and polymers in the optical parts.

As for sharper, the CZJ Sonnar certainly is wide open, and also probably until f/5.6. I can say because I have had the Sigma 70-300. It is likely however that the Sigma zoom may appear sharper at f/8 and beyond, due to the huge contrast of the lens. I doubt that it may be more resolving though.

For sure however the CZJ Sonnar 300 weights at least double as the Sigma zoom, probably more.

I would not buy the Pentacon 300, it get lukewarm reviews at best.
-

Last edited by Orio on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 300mm f4 a good lens but heavy and not a champion in sharpness.

Older version , perhaps better than new one. Hand held pictures f5.6
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer_telemegor_300mm_f4_5/

Pentacon 300mm f4

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_300/

handheld also I don't know the f/stops.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the performance, what I can tell you is that it's a single-coated tele-tessar scheme lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 GBP for a 300mm f4 ?! I guess performance is doesn't matter for this cost, but good news is this lens is an excellent performer!

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer_telemegor_300mm_f4_5/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer=Pentacon no difference in quality same factory,same people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 300mm f/4 comparison :

http://www.pbase.com/sparky14/300mm_lens_test

The Pentacon 300/4, appart some visible purple fringing, has not to be blamed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Well I've got a 300mm lens coming - a Meyer Optik Orestegor 300mm F4 that cost ?16.

Congrats on the great deal.

The Meyer-Görlitz 300mm lens usually found in M42 mount is the Telemegor 300/4.5. The Orestegor 300/4 was usually equipped with an Exakta or Pentacon-Six bayonet, except when sold under the Pentacon name. It looks like an interesting find. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Abbazz