Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G 35mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Contax G 35mm f2 Reply with quote

Hello !
How does it perform against the other 35/2 lenses on market ? I could spend 120 on it or a FDn Canon 35/2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the size of Canon...yes
Otherwise get the planar. It's a brilliant lens.
I was thinking to sell mine but when looking again at the pictures I've made with I'm confident.
There is no way I can sell it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax G 35mm f2 Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Hello !
How does it perform against the other 35/2 lenses on market ? I could spend 120 on it or a FDn Canon 35/2

120 euros? That's a very good price. Unfortunately it's not as good as the Planar 45/2, which is much sharper and has better bokeh -- the 35/2 has pretty bad sharpness outside of the image centre. The 45/2 is superb, the 35/2 less so, but not bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edges are soft on film only, when wide open.

On Nex/mFT the crop factor helps a lot - I really cannot call it a soft lens.
It is by far my best in 35 mm focal length.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never understand the bad reputation of the 2/35 G.
I have it with the G2 camera, and it always took great pictures for me.
It may not be as tack sharp as the 2/45 wide open, but it becomes very sharp stopped down.
When used wide open, which is the way I often like to use it, it provides a very pleasing image. I like it better than the 2/45 wide open.

The above taken with Contax G2 camera, on Ferrania Solaris 200 film.

More here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-planar-t-2-35-contax-g-af-t38107,highlight,%2Bcontax.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a NEX I'd definitely like to use it wide open, but I don't like the (nervous) bokeh in the samples that I've seen. I'd expect the lens to be very sharp stopped down, like most Contax/Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interessed in it for low light work ,so I'm willing to use it mostly wide open .