Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Overcast sky flare - how to prevent it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Overcast sky flare - how to prevent it? Reply with quote

I'm getting flare (haze, washed image, not contrast) in situations where the sky is covered but still bright and the ground is dark. Can't get longer hood because of vignetting.

Any idea how to reduce it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Overcast sky flare - how to prevent it? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I'm getting flare (haze, washed image, not contrast) in situations where the sky is covered but still bright and the ground is dark. Can't get longer hood because of vignetting.
Any idea how to reduce it?

OK, the stupid answer is "use a better coated lens" Rolling Eyes but everyone can give it
If a properly sized lens hood can not improve the situation, then there is little that can be done,
because it means that the internal reflections in the lens happen anyway.
The only possible measure you can take is to stop down the lens as much as you can.
If you think about it, stopping down the iris does a physical function that is similar to that of a lens hood,
at least for the optical components that are placed behind the iris.
By limiting the output of the lens to the very centre of it, you will also limit the influence of the parasite rays
that enter from the sides. This will not fix the problem completely, but it should be of help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must buy new lenses. Smile

Otherwise I would have been delighted but don't have that much money these days.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried something like this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/118069-hv30-w-v1-lens-hood.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Anyone tried something like this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/118069-hv30-w-v1-lens-hood.html

Not exactly, but shading my flare-prone Mir20M with a ball-cap in a similar position makes a definite improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using the lens on? If you have a mirrorless camera (short flange distance) and a cheap adapter with shiny interior, it's possible the reflections are in the adapter. If it's the lens, then there's really not much you can do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's AF on FF but didn't want to make fuss out of it. Wink

Here is my attempt. Still bit too long but better than the original ridiculoisly short.

the sun is just about off the frame

still some vignetting (red color is good for template, you can see it better in the picture .. and I didn't get black cardboard on Sunday)

here with the original hood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use my hand just slightly out of view.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ i found some useful cutouts for making cardboard hoods, maybe you'll find one that suits your needs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the overcast sky or the white wall are into the pic, you can do almost nothing, except change the angle of view or subexpose by one aperture. Not magic can applicate here.

Perhaps you have to ask yourself if the pic wanted really needs that point of view or can be changed.

If you can't change it, remember than a lens with less elements should suffer a less internal reflections. May be usefull.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Perhaps you have to ask yourself if the pic wanted really needs that point of view or can be changed.

Sometimes one can't change the view. I'm not going there with that European Bison. Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_bison

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacken edges of lens elements & inside of lens body.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you change where you're shooting from? If you can shoot from shade (under a tree or bridge are both good options I like) then your flare issues will resolve quickly.