Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My restored Flek 20
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: My restored Flek 20 Reply with quote

Recently I managed , "with a little help from my friends" on the forum ,to put back my flek which separated in 2 parts giving me some horror moments .
Here are some samples after restoring it:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your restoration project finish, it looks me a bit soft.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch those cathedral lines (interiors), you will not find any other 20mm reflex lens that draws them so neatly, not even the 1500 Eur Distagon 21.
I could only beat this performance with my Biogon 21... rangefinder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you restore it? is it f2.8 of f4 version? It does look kinda soft on second and last image

I have flek 20 which has something unscrewed, infinity focus is problem, I have to open it and look for problems. I unscrewed front element while removing filter. Looks like something is wrong with stopper for focusing thread or I just dont know tricks to put it together properly.

I'll probably need some help online for reassembling, I'll create new topic when I'll start with it. Can anyone here help me (know how to reassemble this lens)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Tkank you, I love your new avatar! Laughing
I have a problem with this softness when I upload JPEGs on web.I don't know how to solve it and why this does appear.
On my laptop all these images look sharper no matter the program (Capture One, ZoomBrowser,DPP,Gimp,Helicon filter ).I have this problem when uploading on Photo.net also. I know, this is off topic, maybe we start a thread on this subject

Orio : yes, it seems that it's the strongest point of this lens - very low distorsions .
that contax G + 21mm is one of my unfulfilled (yet) dreams ,especially for such images in low light handheld when I don't need the noise of my reflex . How about a Contax G digital full frame ? Laughing

Last edited by yinyangbt on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Attila wrote:

Tkank you, I love your new avatar! Laughing
I have a problem with this softness when I upload JPEGs on web.I don't know how to solve it and why this does appear.
On my laptop all these images look sharper no matter the program (Capture One, ZoomBrowser,DPP,Gimp,Helicon filter ).I have this problem when uploading on Photo.net also. I know, this is off topic, maybe we start a thread on this subject

Most website use GD for resizing Jpg images including this board what is pretty crap. I always keep genuine one untouched and link on resized image if you click on image genuine will come. If you think that is also different, I see no other reason than browser render differently, due linked one is un-touched.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio wrote:
how did you restore it? is it f2.8 of f4 version? It does look kinda soft on second and last image

I have flek 20 which has something unscrewed, infinity focus is problem, I have to open it and look for problems. I unscrewed front element while removing filter. Looks like something is wrong with stopper for focusing thread or I just dont know tricks to put it together properly.

I'll probably need some help online for reassembling, I'll create new topic when I'll start with it. Can anyone here help me (know how to reassemble this lens)

egidio, hello , you can do it yourself :
http://forum.mflenses.com/help-flektogon-20-2-8-opened-in-two-pieces-t33549.html
Basically you have to open from thr rear. Good luck !
I did not poperly set the infinity focus as it should , but I screwed the front to the maximum ,and I was lucky enough to work as you see.
the last image is handheld at 1/8 ! so, a little motion blur associated with the mirror slap can explain the softness .

Attila thank you , I'll try to upload again

I think it's better , now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
. How about a Contax G digital full frame ? Laughing

I could kill for one. Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lot better now , TEO!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for link! I'll try to repair mine too

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio, please work on a white towel on a table and pay attention when you open it at the position of each piece, as you need to put it back corectly. there are two small steel balls under the diafragm ring . And pay attention how the mechanism that commands the iris is positioned , you'll have to put it back corectly.
Good luck !
Attila , thank you for the tip.
About softness, i read several reviews that confirm this is a soft lens wide open.this one is practically unusable at 2.8 .At 7.1-11 seems to be Ok.Later , I'll post a sample to show you .I am curious if it's normal or if it's a bad /average copy.The users of 20 Flek should know.
Orio,who knows? The new Fuji fixed lens could be a step towards such a camera.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now , here comes the tests : from RAW converted with Capture One in the following order : 2.8 , 4, 5.6, 8 . Shot at 100 ISO with -1 exp comp

no sharpening or other pp applied , focus set to infinity the chip confirmed focus