Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ebay fees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Ebay fees Reply with quote

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/storefees.html

I was a bit shocked when I saw Ebay fees today.

I think we are on right path to make Marketplace to more popular.

Look fees ... above 50 USD 12% final value fee + 4% Paypal + 2-3 % what they cheat on bank withdrawal ... In my case easy to reach 20% payment to Ebay Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for camera equipment, the only way to go now is "fixed price". Auction style listing is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even fixed price in shop what is cheapest option is high.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution is to close your ebay store and use regular auctions, you will have about 10% total fees, paypal included Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I always start my actions at $1, regardless of the item, this won't affect me at all. But even then eBay is still a rip off Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
I think for camera equipment, the only way to go now is "fixed price". Auction style listing is ridiculous.

Are you sure? For cameras and lenses ie "electronics" according to eBay

Auction with final value $50.01 - $1,000
8.75% of the initial $50.00, plus 4.0% of the remaining final sale price balance ($50.01 to $1,000.00)

If item sells for $1,000 then eBay final value fee = $42.38 (excluding PayPal's seller fees and greedy currency exhange ratio)

Fixed price sale with final value $50.01 - $1000.00
8.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the remaining final sale price balance ($50.01 to $1,000.00)[/b]

If item sells for $1,000 then eBay final value fee = $51.49 (excluding PayPal's seller fees and greedy currency exhange ratio)

This does not take into acount insertion fees, which are higher for fixed price than auctions starting below 0.99

Bottom line is: eBay is greedy but there's no denying it's the only global platform for selling (especially second hand camera equipment). Someone should make a rivalling portal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay fee's can work out quite expensive, I sold a few things and my ebay fee's are £45 Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, guys!

A bit offtopic but it's a VERY important piece of info that you should know: ALWAYS try to have some sort of "proof of ownership" for the items you sell. If you bought a lens on a hand shake from a yard sale and try to sell it on eBay, you might get in trouble, as in having your account suspended until you can get that proof of ownership. But since you don't have it, you will be suspended for good.

Cheers,
Florin Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Someone should make a rivalling portal for second hand camera market. .

We try with new Marketplace , current stage is first step only if it will be being popular and I can afford it, I will make auction, review, rate etc. Now we have almost same number of visitors at New Marketplace than on my Ebay sales. I publish items to both place and difference is little.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vfmoto wrote:
Hello, guys!

A bit offtopic but it's a VERY important piece of info that you should know: ALWAYS try to have some sort of "proof of ownership" for the items you sell. If you bought a lens on a hand shake from a yard sale and try to sell it on eBay, you might get in trouble, as in having your account suspended until you can get that proof of ownership. But since you don't have it, you will be suspended for good.

Cheers,
Florin Wink

Are you talking about not knowingly handling stolen goods? Shocked Can't think of any other reason why you'd need proof to sell your own stuff..!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, we should remember that while ebay charge high rates e.g. 20%, they are still the biggest marketplace in the world and will therefore still attract the highest number of buyers and therefore the highest paying bidders Wink

Saying that, I do hope the marketplace here is a success for buyers and sellers alike!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
BTW, we should remember that while ebay charge high rates e.g. 20%, they are still the biggest marketplace in the world and will therefore still attract the highest number of buyers and therefore the highest paying bidders Wink

Saying that, I do hope the marketplace here is a success for buyers and sellers alike!

Biggest but take a try put item to Marketplace and Ebay visitors what you get around same. What we need to solve , how can we protect buyers from disappointment I think about to make and MFlenses protection program where is I will stand behind trustworthy well selected members and if they sell anything this logo will come up automatically on their sales.

A review feature also would be nice if I would extend Marketplace out of forum members , auction also etc. If enough member support it with their sales it has a potential I believe it. Other ways just go to Ebay and get ripped off what is no big deal on a few items for sure. I have to sell several hundreds item what I bought and never sold Embarassed I love to buy and don't like to sell. Laughing Like a hamster Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I find that ebay is paypal and paypal is ebay...is there another well known web based money transfer system? For me I like ebay but I do not like paypals "banking" practices.You may need to showcase a new money transfer system in the market place.Is there real competition to paypal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
The thing I find that ebay is paypal and paypal is ebay...is there another well known web based money transfer system? For me I like ebay but I do not like paypals "banking" practices.You may need to showcase a new money transfer system in the market place.Is there real competition to paypal?

There is some I know moneybookers, perhaps somebody know others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Still, I prefer buying on eBay and selling locally. There are many reasons for that, mainly the hefty fees and the lack of seller protection.

Currently, eBay protection policies are heavily shifted towards the buyer side, which is good for me as a buyer but terrible as a seller. If I sell an item to a buyer in Asia, they usually don't want paying $48 for CanadaPost Xpresspost, the only traceable mean of mailing abroad offered by Canada Post. (I certainly wouldn't pay that much postage myself). If I agree to ship via Small packet (no tracking number), they file a "Not Received" claim and automatically win it as I don't have a tracking number. Pity but true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I love to buy and don't like to sell. Laughing Like a hamster Laughing

Shocked Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ebay fees Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/storefees.html

I was a bit shocked when I saw Ebay fees today.

I think we are on right path to make Marketplace to more popular.

Now it is the right time to get rid of the whole Evilbay. I have bought tens of lenses & bodies (some 50 to 60) via this forum, sold one and given two for free. And without any problems. With some sellers our habit is to save time: seller sends and buyer pays parallel on the same day.

I have found very frustrating those adds at our forum that contains a link to Evilbay only. This gives nothing new to me - all stuff marketed is known alredy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Attila wrote:
I love to buy and don't like to sell. Laughing Like a hamster Laughing

Shocked Shocked Laughing

I've got the same disease. Would it be an epidemy? Lensholism?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fees are the main reasons why I haven't sold anything on EBAY in the last months...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
rawhead wrote:

Are you sure? For cameras and lenses ie "electronics" according to eBay

Auction style fees have recently been changed to a *fixed* percentage of 9%.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html#fvf_auction

So, if an item sells for $1,000 in auction style, the final value fee is $90.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this site?

http://www.ioffer.com/info/why_sell_on_ioffer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I realize now you looked at the fees for Ebay Stores.

Alas, I'm not that much of a high volume seller to go the "Store" route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got an Ebay account to buy last year, but I never actually used it because I didn't want to get a Pay Pal account and all that and because paying otherwise is such a hassle. I had thought about doing some selling, but I really don't like the way that Ebay does things, again particularly with the Pay Pal. From what I've read you have to wait forever for your money if you are new and the fee schedule looks horrific to me too. By the time you sell anything you've lost way too much money IMHO.

It was the same with Ebay and Amazon. I signed up, but after reviewing their terms and FAQ I decided it just wasn't worth it to sell stuff there as a small seller. Unless you can run a store and have volume I just don't see how you can make any real money doing it.

I-offer looks better to me. I've got a friend who uses them. I'm thinking about that maybe to sell off some stuff around the holidays. Ditto Bonanzle or E-crater which seem to be gaining a bit in popularity, but I think being a new seller might be a problem. It's hard to sell when you don't have a history of selling on Ebay.

I've actually tried listing my extra camera stuff on a couple of sites, but in the end no one even wants to look at it because I haven't sold on Ebay. About the only place I can successfully sell anything sans being a veteran Ebay seller with a number of good feed backs is Craig's List it seems.

I usually do sell my stuff there for that reason. You do get a lot of weird people there and tons of spam, but at least it's cash in hand and you don't have to deal with high fees, online payment services, and people who refuse to even look at your stuff because you're not an Ebay veteran.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay fees aren't really that bad considering what a consignment store would charge. Sure, the fees aren't quite the same as they used to be, but it's still cheaper than just about any other resources save for Craigslist. But CL has it's own problems and is only really good for face to face transactions.

What I dislike about ebay is their absurd buyer protection that often results in the seller being cheated. I sold a Canon 70-200/2.8 and the buyer made some excuse and wanted to return it. I had no choice but to accept. Well, the guy sends me a an empty box but he complied with ebay's rules and had a tracking number. I tried to show ebay that the weight of 15oz for the package could not possibly have contained a lens. The shipping label showed the total weight of the package which was under the lens weight by more than half. They didn't care and refunded the thief his money. I had his address so I contacted the police and filed a report but nothing came of it. So, I sued him civil court in his home state. Luckily, it was only a 4.5 hour drive for me. I won the case and received a judgment for $1500 in damages. Sounds good right? Well, there's no enforcement so to this day I have received nothing and never will. His state will not let me put a lien on any of his property so I will never get a thing.

Yeah, I have a great disdain for ebay and will never sell on there. I do however buy from them though so they still win.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ersatz wrote:
Ebay fees aren't really that bad considering what a consignment store would charge. Sure, the fees aren't quite the same as they used to be, but it's still cheaper than just about any other resources save for Craigslist. But CL has it's own problems and is only really good for face to face transactions.

What I dislike about ebay is their absurd buyer protection that often results in the seller being cheated. I sold a Canon 70-200/2.8 and the buyer made some excuse and wanted to return it. I had no choice but to accept. Well, the guy sends me a an empty box but he complied with ebay's rules and had a tracking number. I tried to show ebay that the weight of 15oz for the package could not possibly have contained a lens. The shipping label showed the total weight of the package which was under the lens weight by more than half. They didn't care and refunded the thief his money. I had his address so I contacted the police and filed a report but nothing came of it. So, I sued him civil court in his home state. Luckily, it was only a 4.5 hour drive for me. I won the case and received a judgment for $1500 in damages. Sounds good right? Well, there's no enforcement so to this day I have received nothing and never will. His state will not let me put a lien on any of his property so I will never get a thing.

Yeah, I have a great disdain for ebay and will never sell on there. I do however buy from them though so they still win.

This is a very nasty story, sorry about your trouble. Perhaps German sellers have right who accept only wire transfer nothing else.

My most transaction is in cheap range , hopefully cheaters never find me.