Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Color Ultron fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander Color Ultron fungus? Reply with quote

Hello,
This is my first post to the site, what a wonderful resource! Just received a Voigtlander Color Ultron 50/1,8 M42 with issues.

The body is in great condition and quick glance and the glass looks okay... but then I noticed a tiny wisp of haze in the rear element. Further investigation was not reassuring. There is very a slight haze across the rear element with a couple of foggy patches on the edge. The patches don't look like 'snowflakes' and I don't see any filaments. Also see what look like fine scratches (an attempt a cleaning?). Is it fungus or... ?

Prior owner didn't notice a haze (it's hard to spot if you aren't really looking) and has offered to pay for repairs or take the lens back. Would reapir be a viable option? Should I attempt to clean, send it out or send it back?

Thanks in advance,
~tiffanie
[img]"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5052419788_b98e96ef10_b.jpg"[/img]
[img]"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5052419932_8e3746af17_b.jpg"[/img]
[img]"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5051800191_18b6f0bb60_b.jpg"[/img]
Errr... the photos are not showing up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander Color Ultron fungus? Reply with quote

marimba wrote:
Hello,
This is my first post to the site, what a wonderful resource! Just received a Voigtlander Color Ultron 50/1,8 M42 with issues.

The body is in great condition and quick glance and the glass looks okay... but then I noticed a tiny wisp of haze in the rear element. Further investigation was not reassuring. There is very a slight haze across the rear element with a couple of foggy patches on the edge. The patches don't look like 'snowflakes' and I don't see any filaments. Also see what look like fine scratches (an attempt a cleaning?). Is it fungus or... ?

Prior owner didn't notice a haze (it's hard to spot if you aren't really looking) and has offered to pay for repairs or take the lens back. Would reapir be a viable option? Should I attempt to clean, send it out or send it back?

Thanks in advance,
~tiffanie

Errr... the photos are not showing up.

Last edited by rawhead on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it depends on how much you paid for it. If it was reasonably cheap and you can get a partial refund, I'd try to clean it or have it cleaned.

My Color Ultron is in absolutely awful condition, with lots of scratches on the front element including a large one where the coating has completely disappeared. But it still takes great pictures.

The only thing I'd be wary of are the scratches on the rear element, if they are visible then I'd probably send it back.

Last edited by ludoo on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like typical "wipe marks" and scratches. The scratch won't come off; some of the haziness might be ameliorated with a CLA. Like ludo says, depending on the price, you'd either live with it or complain to the seller.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the for loading the photos (did I go about that correctly?) and the advice.

Was afraid it might be fungal, so have it away from the other lenses. The scratches on the rear element are internal; perhaps someone tried to clean the haze and marred the glass? Will test it out today and see how things look, then talk to the seller and try to figure out what to do.

~tiffanie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was fungus in that lens, and someone wiped it away with the same grace that Mike Tyson would use if he danced the Nutcracker.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the for loading the photos (did I go about that correctly?) and the advice.

There is an anti spam measure that stops new members from posting images in their first post...you can now post away and show us some of your work! Very Happy Welcome by the way!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! Will be posting photos shortly.
Orio....heh heh... love your discription of the lens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Tiffanie!