Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A few portraits with the Pancolar 50 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: A few portraits with the Pancolar 50 1.8 Reply with quote

I ended up with a bit of time on my hands yesterday, so I packed the camera, the Pancolar, and my daughter and headed off just down the road to take a walk along the old railway line.

It turned out to be a nice evening, and I grabbed what I think were a few nice shots out of the Pancolar. I've not used it very much, but really like the results.

My daughter wants to be a model so practiced a few poses for me before I tried some more nature shots.

All the shots are natural light only.

1. In the shade, sun breaking through some leaves, f8

2. In the shade, checking out a spider hanging on a thread just out of shot, f5.6

3. In a railway tunnel, fairly dark, but a shaft of light coming in from the tunnel mouth to the left, shot at f8 I think

4. Shot in full evening sun at f8 I think

5. I popped the Pancolar onto the extension tubes so I could get a closeup of the flower, and was just focusing on the stamen when the hoverfly popped on, I had time for 1 shot only before it was off again. No idea what f stop I was on

6. The same flower, a different position, slightly different light, and wide open

7. I chased this butterfly for ages, but it was worth it for, again about f8

8. It just caught my eye and I liked it, f2.8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason my favourite is no. 6 but the focus of 7 is perfect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series! I love them all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! great series, all superb
classic is beautiful

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like #3 for the composition and #5 for the colours and bokeh.
How do you use the Pancolar on the Nikon camera? Mount modification or optical adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great serie, my fav. are # 3 and #4, two beautiful portraits!
@orio: I don't know if the lens was modified but with a simple adapter M42/Nikon (without extra glass), it's possible to get focus at max. 3 meters with a 50mm, so I guess enought for all this serie......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone, got to say it is my favorite 50mm at the moment, possibly one of my favorite lenses all together, I seem to have it on the camera most of the time.

@Orio, I have two adapters, a standard M42 to Nikon without corrective glass which I use whenever I have the macro tubes or bellows on as focus is a completely different issue then, and the second one is with the corrective glass to allow infinity focus. I will have to buy a better one though, as this was just a cheap, and there is a marked difference in quality between the with glass and without glass photos with some lenses, especially on the longer focal lengths.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried several adapters with extra glass and I must say than I was never satisfied! I use now an adapter without glass, it's unfortunately the only solution to get the best of your lens (especialy wide open)....The pictures you made on this topic are all made with low aperture (f/5,6, f/8, etc..). In this case, the quality's difference is not visible (or almost not visible) between an adapter with or without glass. I used to make some test with the both adapters wide open with several M42 lenses and in this case, the difference was clearly visible and after that, I sold my adapters with extra glass Sad .....
The best solutions I guess in order to use at infinity focus a M42 lens with a Nikon body is to modified the mount or more simple adjusted the focus on the lens when it is possible......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !

Beautiful B&W serie.
They are beautiful.

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 and 6 are beautiful Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Nice series.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples, the Pancolar is one of my favourites ever...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first, really great.
Could be an album cover, square.

The 3. and 4. look a bit oversharpened to me.
Less sharp, more dreamy would fit better here I think?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and clean photos, that Pancolar makes them really pop !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may credit the Pancolar, but a lass so strikingly pretty would make a Domiplan look good. It's number 4 for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
You may credit the Pancolar, but a lass so strikingly pretty would make a Domiplan look good. It's number 4 for me.

+1 Smile

she can make it as a model!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all for the comments, especially the ones relating to my daughter.

Quote:
The 3. and 4. look a bit oversharpened to me.
Less sharp, more dreamy would fit better here I think?

The only post on all the photos was colour and curves, I think the overshapened look could be down to the downsizing, the originals are sharp, but then the lens is really sharp.

Having checked the exif, number 3 was shot as iso200 and number 4 at iso3200, the 100% crop of number 4 shows the iso noise

Crop for number 3

Crop for number 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great portraits but the macro shot is my fav.