Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-44-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Helios-44-2 Reply with quote

Here is an "action shoot" portrait, JPEG straight out of the camera, no post-treatement, just resized, EXIF still available :

To my sadness, the light was very low, and I shot at f/2 so DOF is too short on the face... anyway I like the colors, bokeh, contrasts and details that this old lens can provide if not in direct light (or so much ghost & flares occurs).

My Helios-44 lenses are all over scratched but I can't notice any effect on resulting pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!

This photo is a good example of the atmosphere that old lenses can provide and today's aseptic lenses always fail at.

Long live the Helios!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the short DOF actually helps the portrait, and the OOF is so smooth. This looks like a lens for the short list.

patrickh

BTW - Lovely model

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I think the short DOF actually helps the portrait, and the OOF is so smooth. This looks like a lens for the short list.

patrickh

BTW - Lovely model

Yes, you're rigth, even when I have always been told about the need of having both eyes in focus for a proper portrait... (That's just a rule Wink ).

I like this shot!
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice atmosphere, very good for F2. I think mine is softer wide open but I have to try more.
Quote:
JPEG straight out of the camera

standard jpeg have already contrast enhanced and quite a lot sharpening.
Try to make a profile with neutral color and 0 sharpening if you want to see what the lens can do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Very nice atmosphere, very good for F2. I think mine is softer wide open but I have to try more.
Quote:
JPEG straight out of the camera

standard jpeg have already contrast enhanced and quite a lot sharpening.
Try to make a profile with neutral color and 0 sharpening if you want to see what the lens can do.

The "'Parameter 3" profile I've used for that pic has all parameters set to 0 Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice capture!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tu as męme mis ton téléphone dans l'exif. Si quelqu'un trouve ton canon il pourra te joindre Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sait-on jamais, on croise parfois d'honnętes gens sur la planęte...

et au pire si je le perds ou me le fait piquer, je peux essayer de retrouver sa trace sur les sites de vente en ligne en demandant une image échantillon...

P.S: tu est d'oů ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are really nice, the shot and the lady (if you don't mind me saying that).

The Helios-44-series are almost always very recommendable and you can get them for almost nothing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parfait! You've caught a beautiful expression on her face. The density of the colours is classic Russian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor

ce n'est que le plupart des gens qui sont honnetes, pas tous.

But that picture is lovely - really

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot. Now why did I sell my Zenith 12xp and lenses...? Sad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments.

I have some more portraits to publish, but I don't like them as this one.

Anyway, here is my daughter, still with this dirty Helios and some extension tube (which I don't remember the lengh) :

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Perfect capture !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the narrow DOF of the first picture - and the purity of colors and form of the second one. Wonderful!

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Michael. My Helios-44-2 copy, while not in its best shape, is very sharp even wide open.

I really like this lens results and felling when I use it, it still attached all day long on my 350D as standard kit lens - I will replace the "Canon" word in front of my dSLR by Zenit Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florent

from your shooting style and camera, may I recommend you try out the nikkor 105/2.5? It is still not too badly priced given its quality and I believe Nikon sold a load of them, so they are frequently found on the market. It is truly one of the great portrait lenses and I have seen great results with it from the Canon

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

Today I won 2 jupiter-9 on eBay, so I guess they will fit my needs for portraiture Wink Thanks for the tip, but Nikkor lenses are often out of my budget...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another action portrait today, with this time some little works in post-prod : B & W + contrast + sharpening

EOS 350D + Helios-44-2 @f2.8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Thanks for all your comments.

I have some more portraits to publish, but I don't like them as this one.

Anyway, here is my daughter, still with this dirty Helios and some extension tube (which I don't remember the lengh) :

Excellent. I really like my Helios, one of my favorite lenses.

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Flor
May I ask you what place did you take this action portrait, and the one of the woman beginning of the trend? I am curious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice capture! A non AI Nikkor 105mm f2.5 many times going on low price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent capture, Flor! You got lucky, just kidding. Laughing

Really nice results for f2.8!

Bill