Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kaleinar-3B - quick preview
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Kaleinar-3B - quick preview Reply with quote

Today I also received the Kaleinar-3B, a 150mm f/2.8 lens for Pentacon 6 that I bought form Ukraine and received thanks to the intermediation of Attila, who made it possible for me to avoid that the lens passed thorugh the mysterious meanders of Italian customs offices. Laughing
I left the lens to Attila for some time for him to play around with, and now I got it home.
I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprise by the image quality, after the first reports I was fearing much worse. But I let the images speak.

1. Kaleinar-3B, probably the sexiest glass in my collection, mounted on the EOS 5D:

2. First test shot, full frame resized

3. Second test shot, full frame resized.

Please compare the two test images above, the comparison shows the difference that a lens hood can make for an uncoated glass like this one. The first image was taken with the sun on the side, and so stray rays entered the glass and lowered the contrast. This second image was instead taken with the sun behind my back, and with me acting like a big, big lens hood Laughing The difference in the density of the images is self evident. Conclusion is: if you want to use this lens, you need to get a 82mm lens hood. That's what I will do.

4. First shot again, followed by one 100% size non-sharpened crop from it:

5. Second shot again, followed by two 100% size non-sharpened crops from it:

All images were taken hand-held at 200 ISO.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those images do speak volumes Orio,, looks like a more than decent lens. Saturation is terrific and I am beginning to see this as a characteristic of russian lenses. One more lens for me to look out for.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't compare a pic taken in shadow (where the light is as in a light box : comming from the whole sky and so beign more diffused) and one taken under direct sunshine with mix of full shadow and brightly exposed parts....

But I like this lens, it looks nice and results are nice also.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Orio, this is a sexy lens - looks and performance!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artem

That is one nice portrait - I ant wait to try my new one out when it gets here (hopefully before Christmas)

patrickh