Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens for wide field astrophotography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Lens for wide field astrophotography Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I recently dipped my toes into astrophotography. I decided to start simple, with wide field shots using fixed tripod, and switching to tracked shots when I get a drive for my telescope. But after few tries with the tripod, it's now clear to me that I need a proper lens for that.

I've been browsing internet auctions for used lenses up to 35mm (and maybe something around 55mm), but there's a lot of that out there. I've been digging through them past few days and found this forum very useful to find info on some of my finds. But after all that, my head is spinning and I feel that I'm more stupid now than I was before all this. I could seriously use some advice from more experienced folks.

I use Sony A200 DSLR for shooting (it's not even mine, I just borrow it from my bro), but I'm planning to move to Pentax K-5 in the future (when I can afford it Smile )

What I have

Sony's kit 18-70 lens
- useless, as far as I tested, it's not possible to get a really sharp image at infinity
- focusing it without a live view is a real pain
- and it folds slightly when pointed upward

Auto Revuenon 1.4/55
- completely useless wide open
- has to be stopped down to f/5.6 for acceptable results
- I found f/8 to be the best match for it
- 55 mm is a bit too much, can't use longer exposures, as star trailing becomes visible quite fast

Mir-1B 2.8/37
- not usable wide open
- it gives me strange "halos" around bright stars, that's ruining the photos, noticed too late, so I haven't had a chance to test what happens when stopping it down even more, I also have a second one, so I'll be checking it as well for comparison

Industar-50-2 3.5/50
- I have not tested it for astrophoto yet (clear skies are sparse around here at the moment)
- but 50 mm is a bit to much

What I need

- something in 28-35 mm range
- that will not ruin me, my budget is rather tight
- M42 mount preferred, as I plan to use those in the future with Pentax (with appropriate adapter of course), I guess M39 is ok too, since M39->M42 adapters are cheap
- reasonably bright, I don't expect cheap lens to perform well wide open, but something that needs to be stopped down to f/8 to be sharp does not cut it for me (I'm guessing I should be happy with something sharp in f/3 - f/4 range?)
- sharp at infinity
- chromatic aberrations under control (so it could be fixed when converting from RAW)
- vignetting is not a concern
- corner sharpness does not have to be perfect or even very good, as those parts of the photo do not end up in the final image (A200 has a serious amp glow issue at corners, so they're ruined anyway)

I would appreciate any pointers as to what to hunt for. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide angles are hard to be found with good quality from the years of M42 lenses. So it will be quite difficult to find a good one.
Pentax wides are not the best but M 28 3.5 and M 28 2.8 II are nice ones. The bad news is that they are K bayonet. The 3.5 version is very good at F11 even in extreme corners on APS-C 16Mpix matrix. The M 28 2.8 II or A 28 2.8(they share the same lenses) are good at wider apertures. Both can't compare with Nikkor 28 2.8 which is much better Smile.
My point is that wide lenses are getting better in years and I think that it will be better if you start to save money for modern zoom like Tamron 17-50 2.8 instead of trying to find good budget fix focal length lens.

PS the good thing about pentax and shooting stars is that if you can afford the GPS module, your camera can trace stars by using the image stabilization module, so you can use tele lenses too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome astrotripper

Try fast 50mm or 55mm! Here is M42 SMC Takumar 50/1.4 & 55/1.8 examples: http://forum.mflenses.com/starfield-compare-m42-asahi-smc-takumar-1-4-50-and-1-8-55-t41437.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 50mm lenses I tried for astro-photgraphy didn't work really nice wide open. Corner-performance was never good enough wide open and many were not usable wide open at all.
A nice idea would be the Sony SAL50F18 (AF) - should be optically much better than all your other lenses and is very affordable with vey good center perfomance already wide open, but corners would be also not perfect wide open (visible vignetting below F2.8, extreme corner becomes almost perfect @ F5.6) and precise MF is a bit tricky with this lens.

Pentacon Six or Kiev 88 lenses might be also a way to go - they should have perfect corner performance (they are made for 6x6cm film!) on APS-C and they should be very easy to adapt on Sony Alpha or any other DSLR mount. They are not very fast though.

PS: Only for reference, here's a Minolta MD 50/2 wide open for example

(comaparable very good CA control but slightly bad corners and visible vignetting wide open)

And a Samyang 8mm F2.8 wide open (imo good astro-performance!)

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the smc pentax - k 35mm f3.5 is an outstanding optic that should work for you but its K mount not m42 and sells for about $125

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great ~50mm lens for astro is Noct Nikkor 58 1.2, this is a lens made for shooting wide open and one of the purposes is astro. But the price is WOOOW Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main gripe with Nikkor and Pentax bayonet lenses is the need for an expensive adapter with corrective lens for Sony Alpha. So it's not only pricey, I'm kinda worried about loss of quality because of this additional lens. I might consider investing in such an adapter for Pentax lenses, since I'm planning to go all Pentax in the future, but I'd have to have a good reason for that. The same goes for alpha mount lenses, only the problem will be after I switch to Pentax.

So Pentax suggestions are welcome, I'll probably be hunting for such lenses when switching to K-5. But right now, M42 is preferable.

As for ~50mm lenses, it'd be great if I could find something that works at around f/2.8, any suggestions?

As for <35mm, I probably don't need a perfect lens. I really just want something that's decently sharp at infinity at around f/4. The problem I have is that there's quite a lot of them on the market and I really don't know which ones are total crap.

Some examples of what's available in my price range:
- Pentacon 2.8/29
- Auto Pallas 2.8/28
- Coslinar 2.8/28
- Petri 2.8/28
- Pentor 2.8/28
- Pentacon 3.5/30
- Exaktar 2.8/35
- Fodor 3.5/35
- Porst Weitwinkel 2.8/35
- Beroflex 2.8/35
- Albinar 2.8/35
- Carenar 2.8/35

In the ~50mm department, there's plentiful of Helios lenses in all varieties, lots of Pentacons, quite a lot of "aus Jena" and Zeiss, and some Tessar lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm the Jena T(essar) 50/2.8 might be a good choice then.
Only F2.8 but decent correction, comparable good flat field and low vignetting as far as I know

PS: Try to avoid Helios 44 for astro- or any other more technical work. It's a decent lens for general photographic use but it also has a curved sharpness field and vignetting etc. at wide apertures,

Maybe you should buy an Sony NEX Body instead of a Pentax DSLR
You would automatically get maaany more really good and very cheap choices at this range
For example Canon FD 28/2.8 SSC, Minolta MD 28/2.8, Konica Hexanon 28/2.8 and all their 35mm counterparts and maaany more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a 35mm cinema lens, something like an ISCO red or blue star HD lens. These can be found quite cheap on ebay and you probably could mount it at infinity focus inside a M42 extension tube and held with a few tapped bolts

Key advantages are

- designed to be very sharp at f2.0 with minimal abberation
- designed for long throw distances (infinity focus)
- excellent corner to corner sharpness

a wide lens is not so important these days with panoramic stitching software

NB something like this would be perfect

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISCO-RED-f-37-5mm-ULTRA-STAR-HD-PLUS-1-85-MC-2-1-Projection-Lens-/321084278943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac21d489f

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A200 shouldn't be a big problem resolution-wise. (even compared to sensia)

Maybe you need lenses that go "a bit over" infinity so you can actually hit infinity (with tolerances etc.), otherwise it's F11 time. I heard people even tinker with their matsumotovs to allow beyond-infinity focus.

Or try various m42 adaptors. the hama adaptor is known for allowing infinity but not really due to mechanical problem of half a millimeter or something.

Generally, the wider the lens, the higher the suck*price ratio. UWW lenses for SLR are seriously expensive and not very good in the corners. Maybe it would even yield better results to use a primitive fisheye and straighten in software.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrotripper wrote:
My main gripe with Nikkor and Pentax bayonet lenses is the need for an expensive adapter with corrective lens for Sony Alpha. So it's not only pricey, I'm kinda worried about loss of quality because of this additional lens. I might consider investing in such an adapter for Pentax lenses, since I'm planning to go all Pentax in the future, but I'd have to have a good reason for that. The same goes for alpha mount lenses, only the problem will be after I switch to Pentax.

So Pentax suggestions are welcome, I'll probably be hunting for such lenses when switching to K-5. But right now, M42 is preferable.

As for ~50mm lenses, it'd be great if I could find something that works at around f/2.8, any suggestions?

As for <35mm, I probably don't need a perfect lens. I really just want something that's decently sharp at infinity at around f/4. The problem I have is that there's quite a lot of them on the market and I really don't know which ones are total crap.

Some examples of what's available in my price range:
- Pentacon 2.8/29
- Auto Pallas 2.8/28
- Coslinar 2.8/28
- Petri 2.8/28
- Pentor 2.8/28
- Pentacon 3.5/30
- Exaktar 2.8/35
- Fodor 3.5/35
- Porst Weitwinkel 2.8/35
- Beroflex 2.8/35
- Albinar 2.8/35
- Carenar 2.8/35

In the ~50mm department, there's plentiful of Helios lenses in all varieties, lots of Pentacons, quite a lot of "aus Jena" and Zeiss, and some Tessar lenses.

Oh I forgot, you CAN get the smc 35mm F3.5 in M42, its the Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 35mm F3.5 and its pretty cheap too but excellent even wide open but it is F3.5 of course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Try fast 50mm or 55mm! Here is M42 SMC Takumar 50/1.4 & 55/1.8 examples: http://forum.mflenses.com/starfield-compare-m42-asahi-smc-takumar-1-4-50-and-1-8-55-t41437.html

That looks promising, especially considering I use APS-C camera.

simbon4o wrote:
Pentax wides are not the best but M 28 3.5 and M 28 2.8 II are nice ones.

hifisapi wrote:
Oh I forgot, you CAN get the smc 35mm F3.5 in M42, its the Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 35mm F3.5 and its pretty cheap too but excellent even wide open but it is F3.5 of course.

Ok, there's a clear pattern here Smile

So I did some searching for the Takumars and it looks like I should not have a problem finding one for M42. The prices vary quite a lot, tho. And it looks like SMC fetches a hefty premium (from what I see, twice as expensive as non SMC versions). Is there really such a big difference between SMC and (Super) Takumars? Is the difference only in coatings? If it's not that big of a difference, I can settle for Takumar or Super Takumar, I think I can find one within my budget.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharpest 50mm wide open I've ever used was an old Leitz M39 50mm f/3.5 collapsible Elmar. Used to be you could pick them up for cheap, not so much anymore. But the Russian knock-offs are very good from what I understand, plus they're cheap. So I would seriously consider one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While wider than specified, the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is one of the sharpest lenses wide open, e.g., sharper in the corners than pretty much any 50mm (including Zeiss) at f/2.8 and very little coma (especially on APS-C). But needs live view to focus, infinity stop is not precise enough and very hard to see exact focus through a traditional viewfinder with a lens this wide…

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
While wider than specified, the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is one of the sharpest lenses wide open, e.g., sharper in the corners than pretty much any 50mm (including Zeiss) at f/2.8 and very little coma (especially on APS-C). But needs live view to focus, infinity stop is not precise enough and very hard to see exact focus through a traditional viewfinder with a lens this wide…

+1
My astro-photographer friend is in love with the samyang, it's the only wide he puts in regular use on his k5.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a Canon DSLR for astro work. They are widely accepted because their RAW files are really raw without any processing (at least some years ago it was so), which is important for more serious astro work. There are also filter modifications available for Canon cameras, so that the camera is able to detect the red colour of the nebulae.

About the lenses, it's different criteria for astro work then for daylight. Especially because there is no stray light present. I have an Admiral 28m f2.8, that is useful at 2.8, good at 4 and very sharp at 5.6 on APS-C. But for daylight photography is not really so good (too low contrast and flare, even if it's sharp).
One of the best lenses for wide astro is probably Nikkor AIS 50mm f1.2. Mine is acceptably sharp at f2.0 on APS-C camera, only two corners are not perfect (strangly, two are sharp - maybe there is a small issue with the adapter) and very very sharp at f2.8.
Here is a photo that I took with the Nikkor at f2, first the whole frame, then 100% center crop and 100% lower left corner (the least sharp part of the image). Some of the center sharpness was compromised for better corner sharpness, all is a lot better at f2.8. ..but, anyway this here is more than enough sharpness for a 60x40cm print.

And +1 for Samyang lenses for astro, I have no experience yet, but for what I read people are very satisfied with them. I read one guy's blog who exchanged his 24mm f1.4 L II for Samyang, the Samyang was waaay better for astro then the mighty L.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
I recommend a Canon DSLR for astro work. They are widely accepted because their RAW files are really raw without any processing (at least some years ago it was so), which is important for more serious astro work. There are also filter modifications available for Canon cameras, so that the camera is able to detect the red colour of the nebulae.

Canon DSLRs are not GENERALLY better than Sony, Nikon, Pentax and so on for astro-work. That's an antiquated buzz.
Only Foveon (Sigma) sensors are generally a bit handicapped for astro-work, even with removed IR cut filter.
Filter modifications are also easily available for most other cameras today.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not know what's the situation now, that's why I wrote a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that about earlier cameras -- thanks sammo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sammo, are those single exposures or are you doing some of the image stacking stuff that a lot of astrophotographers are doing nowadays? I ask because you got a lot of good color in those images. The reds and blues are coming through very nicely.

Also, in the first photo, that star cluster in the top right quadrant, that's the Pleiades, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Sammo, are those single exposures or are you doing some of the image stacking stuff that a lot of astrophotographers are doing nowadays? I ask because you got a lot of good color in those images. The reds and blues are coming through very nicely.
Also, in the first photo, that star cluster in the top right quadrant, that's the Pleiades, isn't it?

This was a stack, yes. I think there were about 5, 60s exposures (conditions were bad - full moon). Color is not best, it is somehow hard for me to get good WB when working with astro RAW photos. Here faint stars are too green, but Jupiter, Aldebaran and Pleiades (you guessed right) have nice colors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
sammo wrote:

Canon DSLRs are not generally better than Sony, Nikon, Pentax and so on for astro-work. That's an antiquated buzz.
Only Foveon (Sigma) sensors are generally a bit handicapped for astro-work, even with removed IR cut filter.
Filter modifications are also available for most other cameras.

The advantage Canon had over Nikon is a lot less nowadays, but there are still some questions about Nikon's pre-processing of raw images. This thread over at Cloudy Nights discusses some of the problems

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5689403/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

(I'm hoping to switch over to a real CCD astro camera this season, with an obsolete sensor, probably way inferior to those in the latest DSLRs. However, regulated cooling, no Bayer array, no anti-aliasing, and true raw support, should make it better for H-alpha work.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
sammo wrote:

Canon DSLRs are not generally better than Sony, Nikon, Pentax and so on for astro-work. That's an antiquated buzz.
Filter modifications are also available for most other cameras.

I've been researching this topic for a while, and as I see it, the main advantage of Canons is vast support on software side. If the astro software supports any camera directly, it will most likely be Canon. The other advantage is that I can get a used 350D very cheap. And in the days, Canon also won in quality department.

But now, I'm very impressed with Pentax K-5. No matter how I look at it, it beats any similarly priced Canon or Nikon hands down. It's got all the features I want, performs extremely well at high iso, and has better dynamic range on the dark side than the competition. So this is my camera of choice (once I can save up some pennies Smile ). I also heard that Pentax kit lenses are not total garbage, which would be a nice bonus if true.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to turn into war on which camera is better, so lets stick to lenses, ok?

sammo wrote:
One of the best lenses for wide astro is probably Nikkor AIS 50mm f1.2

I couldn't find this one on sale anywhere here, only f/1.4 and f/1.8. I'm impressed with your results. That is very nice performance at f/2. I'm curious about the diffraction spikes, they look really nice, I usually see 4 or 6 of them, and you got 18. Is this the result of stacking, or what? I like the effect very much. However, do I see some CA at the corners? Do you directly stack RAWs, or do you first develop the RAWs and stack the result?

Anyway, I'm thinking of devising some kind of simple test procedure to evaluate lens performance for astro work. I wasted some good skies on shooting with one of the Mirs I got, only to discover later that the results are much worse than they seemed on preview.

And I won a bid for such a lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/exaktar-2-8-35mm-t8882.html
Was cheaper than fungus infected Takumar Smile

And thank you guys for all the suggestions so far, much appreciated. I'll have my eyes open for bargains. And once I'll figure out how to test those lenses, I'll be posting the results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious about the diffraction spikes, they look really nice, I usually see 4 or 6 of them, and you got 18. Is this the result of stacking, or what? I like the effect very much. However, do I see some CA at the corners? Do you directly stack RAWs, or do you first develop the RAWs and stack the result?

Every blade from the aperture produces two spikes, if there are two blades on opposite sides (this happens when the total number of blades is even) two are producing the same spike, therefore the number of spikes is equal to number of blades. If the aperture has an odd number (this Nikkor has 9) of blades, then the number of spikes is double the number of blades.
You shouldn't stack RAWs, you loose colour data if you do that.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm thinking of devising some kind of simple test procedure to evaluate lens performance for astro work. I wasted some good skies on shooting with one of the Mirs I got, only to discover later that the results are much worse than they seemed on preview.

I usually test wide lenses on distant streetlights. For wide field lenses they are small enough to show lens aberrations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrotripper wrote:

... I'm thinking of devising some kind of simple test procedure to evaluate lens performance for astro work. I wasted some good skies on shooting with one of the Mirs I got, only to discover later that the results are much worse than they seemed on preview.

Recently, I also learned the hard way that simplified tests of lenses for astro can be misleading. I tested a bunch of lenses with single (unstacked) 15-second shots with no filter, and concluded that the best lens I had for astro was the Contax 85mm/2.8, and that the Contax 100mm/2 was not as good at f/2.8.

Later, I took real 5-minute shots with an Astronomik CLS filter on front (sometimes exaggerates CA), and was surprised to find the 100mm/2 actually gave better results than the 85/2.8. For the real shots, the stars are grossly overexposed, and the stacking software separately aligns each RGB color channel.