Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aero Ektar 7" on a Sinar 4x5 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Aero Ektar 7" on a Sinar 4x5 ? Reply with quote

I have a 5x4 Sinar and have been considering buying an Aero Ektar 7" to use with it but I don't know enough about the Sinar shutters and if they would be adaptable to such a lens. I know the Aero Ektars tend to be used with a Greflex for the Graflex built in shutter but I'd prefer not to go down that path. I'd prefer to use the lens on the Sinar if there is a way to adapt a shutter. Any tips or experience would be appreciated.

JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have adapted lens shutters onto the AE, but you will be severely limited with what you can do. The lens is simply too big, which puts a limit on the fastest shutter speed that is possible (I think the fastest I've seen was something like 1/30s).

This will rule out handheld photography (though I guess that's not an issue for you--- it is for me), and also you would have to invest seriously in large (~82mm) ND filters so that you can shoot it wide open, which, I'm guessing is what you'd want to do with that lens in the first place.

For example, I shoot Velvia 50 rated at ISO25. In bright sunlight, I shoot it at 1/1000s @ F2.5. In order for you to be able to shoot 1/30s @ f2.5, you'd need a 5-stop ND filter at least. But since I'm pretty sure there is no such thing, you'd probably have to stack an ND8 + ND4. Or get a 10-stop ND filter and shoot even slower.

You'll really be limited in what you can do.

With a Pacemaker Speed Graphic, you'll be able to shoot it handheld wide open with slow-ish film and/or when lighting conditions are better (e.g., overcast). And it probably won't cost you much more than trying to awkwardly fit a shutter between the AE and your Sinar.

My 2lb.

Here's me shooting it handheld Laughing

FIRE! by RYØUMA, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an Aero Ektar, but I have a similar lens, a Biotessar 16.5/2.8. I have the same issues.

There is the option of using the thing as a studio lens only. That could work wide open with slow film at 1/30. It would be a formidable portrait camera.

Still, it seems to me it would be rather expensive to adapt it to a shutter, other than a Packard shutter maybe, but that wouldn't get 1/30. It may be cheaper just to buy a Speed Graphic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be careful with the Aero-Ektars, they are really radioactive (not just joke radioactive like many 35mm lenses).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
You need to be careful with the Aero-Ektars, they are really radioactive (not just joke radioactive like many 35mm lenses).

Thanks. There's an interesting write up about their radioctivity here;

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelbriggs/aeroektar/aeroektar.html

JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I don't have an Aero Ektar, but I have a similar lens, a Biotessar 16.5/2.8. I have the same issues.

There is the option of using the thing as a studio lens only. That could work wide open with slow film at 1/30. It would be a formidable portrait camera.

Still, it seems to me it would be rather expensive to adapt it to a shutter, other than a Packard shutter maybe, but that wouldn't get 1/30. It may be cheaper just to buy a Speed Graphic.

I'd never heard of the Packard shutters but that looks like an interesting option. Thanks

JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
People have adapted lens shutters onto the AE, but you will be severely limited with what you can do. The lens is simply too big, which puts a limit on the fastest shutter speed that is possible (I think the fastest I've seen was something like 1/30s).

This will rule out handheld photography (though I guess that's not an issue for you--- it is for me), and also you would have to invest seriously in large (~82mm) ND filters so that you can shoot it wide open, which, I'm guessing is what you'd want to do with that lens in the first place.

For example, I shoot Velvia 50 rated at ISO25. In bright sunlight, I shoot it at 1/1000s @ F2.5. In order for you to be able to shoot 1/30s @ f2.5, you'd need a 5-stop ND filter at least. But since I'm pretty sure there is no such thing, you'd probably have to stack an ND8 + ND4. Or get a 10-stop ND filter and shoot even slower.

You'll really be limited in what you can do.

With a Pacemaker Speed Graphic, you'll be able to shoot it handheld wide open with slow-ish film and/or when lighting conditions are better (e.g., overcast). And it probably won't cost you much more than trying to awkwardly fit a shutter between the AE and your Sinar.

My 2lb.

Here's me shooting it handheld Laughing

FIRE! by RYØUMA, on Flickr

Thanks.

You've raised some potential issues I hadn't thought of. I must admit I really only ever considered using the AE for portraits so shooting in sun wasn't something I'd even considered. I certainly wasn't aware that the shutters for such a large lens had speed limitations but I suppose that makes sense.

A Graflex seems like an easy option except that I already have a couple of Sinars and the Sinars, even with their bulk, would still suits my needs as long as I can find a reasonably inexpensive way to adapt a shutter. The thing is I really don't want to spend a lot of money on this, it's just for fun. Maybe it's not possible to do inexpensively.

JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82mm that it is similiar case like with CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 or same filter thread has Flek 50/4 and those are really big and expensive ones.

I am curious about what lens was used for your shooting portrait. Looks incredible. Even that Ektar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
82mm that it is similiar case like with CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 or same filter thread has Flek 50/4 and those are really big and expensive ones.

I am curious about what lens was used for your shooting portrait. Looks incredible. Even that Ektar.

The portrait was shot by my photo apprentice (lol). It was a Panasonic GF1 + Kern Pizar 25mm f1.5, wide open I believe.

Regarding filters, as long as you don't do any movements (tilt/shift), the image circle is large enough that you can attach a 82mm-77mm stepdown ring to the lens (the lens itself doesn't have a filter thread, so you need to DIY something like this in any case), and then use 77mm filters. I've stacked two 77mm ND filters without any vignetting. Of course, it will significantly shrink the image circle so movements will be limited with such a setup, but hey, it's better than buying all my filters in 82mm Smile