Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-M 50mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax-M 50mm f2 Reply with quote

A picture to give an idea of this lens quality.

f5.6 time 1/30.

Pic taken in Raw, developed with Pentax foto laboratory to 16 bit tiff. Then changed to lab colours. Minor adaptions on contrast scharpnes and saturation the set to RGB and jpg.

Guido

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax-M 50mm f2 Reply with quote

O.k, here I see why Pentax SMC lens have a good reputation. Nice shot, sharp like a razorblade.

Jigt wrote:

Pic taken in Raw, developed with Pentax foto laboratory to 16 bit tiff. Then changed to lab colours. Minor adaptions on contrast scharpnes and saturation the set to RGB and jpg.

What a workflow Very Happy I stopped all efforts using tiff as a stopover because this format uses to much space and computing time.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pics Jigt. Nice colours.
Now, enlight me guys, which is the difference between 8bit and 16bit, because when I process my photos from RAW to Jpeg I see 8bit, a lil bit underneath is 16bit. I really don't know the meaning.
Sorin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Excellent pics Jigt. Nice colours.
Now, enlight me guys, which is the difference between 8bit and 16bit, because when I process my photos from RAW to Jpeg I see 8bit, a lil bit underneath is 16bit. I really don't know the meaning.
Sorin

I'm not a tech myself so I will give a common man's reply.
Say that your camera has recorded the image at 16 bit (like most DSLRs today do).
You convert the file to 8 bit and what happens is that fi your camera has recorded two very similar but different shades of green next to each other, the 8 bit conversion will "quantize" and turn the two very similar but different shades of green, into one single shade of green.
This of course reduces both the smoothness of colors and the detail.
And of course, the more editing operations you perform under 8 bit domain, the more you risk to reduce the subtleties of your image.

I am sure that now some more techinically proficient guy can add the scientific bits (pun intended!) Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that you enjoy your Pentax lens.
I have got a Pentax SMC 1.7/50 and I guess it is my best 50mm lens (and I have quite a few!)

Carsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ cartsen, i have the 50mm 1.7 also, I mostly use it with an adapter so I use it in macro mode upside down.
This is an example picture.
Guido
@ Michael, this is not my standard workflow, I use adobe photoshop 7, this prgram can't read Pentax Raw, thats wy i transfer to 16 Tiff, a PS 7 readble format without loss?

Believe it or not the raw data recorded by a camera is analog, the camera converts it for example to JPG. Doing this it uses an Analog/digital converter build in the camera. This conversion is done with your camera settings (sharpness, white balance contrast ...) Once you have the output every change you do you loose information. If recorded in Raw the conversion can be done on your pc. With more possibilities and you can see the effect of your settings. Also you can make several versions from your raw data without information loss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great capture! Thanks for GOD I kept my Takumar 55mm f2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:

Believe it or not the raw data recorded by a camera is analog, the camera converts it for example to JPG. Doing this it uses an Analog/digital converter build in the camera. This conversion is done with your camera settings (sharpness, white balance contrast ...) Once you have the output every change you do you loose information. If recorded in Raw the conversion can be done on your pc. With more possibilities and you can see the effect of your settings. Also you can make several versions from your raw data without information loss.

Sure I believe it. I shoot raw for myself, but expose to jpg without stopover using tiff or psd or another 16bit format. Perhaps I change my workflow with a new computer and much ram.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only doing this because my photoshop can't read Pentax Raw.

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2/50 may be a good lens - but Pentax has better 50mm-lenses.
I used to have K 1.2, FA, A and M 1.4, F, FA, A and M 1.7 and A 2.0.
The 1.7 is clearly sharper than the 2.0.
The 1.4 is a bit softer than 1.7 up to f 2.8 where it is at least equal if not better.
The K 1.2 is the best of them.
You shouldn't compare a 1.2 wide opened with a 1.7 wide opened - there is a half stop difference.
Both lenses compared at the same aperture - the 1.2 will be sharper than any of the 50mm-lenses mentioned above.
That's the reason for me stay with the 1.2 (but it's realy a heavy lens, more weight that a 2.8/135mm) - and additionally only a 1.7 for it's loiw weight and A-setting for the easier use with my Pentax dslr.

As for the 2.0:
It has -like the 1.7 - an optical design that is told to be better at closer distances and giving very good results with additional macro- or reverse-rings.
I used to make my macros like this before I bought me a true macro-lens (Tamron 2.5/90).