Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gazania - how she "does it"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Gazania - how she "does it" Reply with quote

Already last year I showed some images of a south african Gazania flower. I was wondering how she attracts insects, so I used my bee / butterfly vision filter and took some shots. Here the results.

White light shot:

Butterfly vision (simulated) shot (UV=blue)

The pollen lights up strongly around the flower petals in the central part and they have a quite strong UV reflectance also.

What is shown in the second shot is not just UV, it is actually UV, Blue, Green, Red, where UV is mapped into the Blue channel. (That works with flowers only which have no or hardly any blue content like this one). I call this "simulated butterfly vision" or "BV" for short, since a butterfly has tetrachromatic vision (UV, Blue, Green, Red). This is basically the (proprietary) filtering technique I have developed for the cooperation on that "Invisible Wolds" project with BBC London.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So stunning second one ! Amazing how pollen lighting up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, it looks like an otherworldly alien base!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was astonished myself!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy kind of spotlight for the bees - they will need sunglasses!?
Surprising picture!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is impressive indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly realizing where the German artist Michael Böhme gets his inspiration from. The center of the flower reminds me of space science fiction architecture, just like Orio mentioned!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a bee I would head over there for sure. Lovely

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive picture!
How about aa picture of a human ( I didn't say man) seen by the bees?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Impressive picture!
How about aa picture of a human ( I didn't say man) seen by the bees?

That is a cool idea!
At least we would know what parts of our bodies are more attracting for the bees, in order to cover them and avoid stings! Very Happy