Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

reala vs 400d
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: reala vs 400d Reply with quote

I try a reala with my eos3+contax 28-85 and shot the same on 400d+tamron 17-50AF.
not very scientific test but I was happy to see that dynamic range of film is ok vs digital
I give the film for printing on cd, each file is jpg 6mb sharpened and fixed by lab
The 400d is with dpp landscape sharp:3
Here is a sample at 50% of lab 6mb

400d

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mg1427xt4.jpg

reala

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=29590006wqy8.jpg

it cost me 4e for reala & 7e for develop and cd
quite expansive but I have to send my 400d for service next month and slowly prepare for film

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till this time this scan was the best what I seen. I not shoot on film, because I have no good scanning solution.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all for a 35mm film!
Too bad the film is slightly overexposed. If it was half stop darker, it would have been even better.
At this resolution, of course - one should make the comparison at the original 400D resolution - then I think digital would show superiority in detail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What impress me is more the texture of film than definition

reala..........................................................400d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
What impress me is more the texture of film than definition

Yes, because of greater microcontrast in the film, which "brings out" the textures, they seem more alive.

The AA of digital camera acts in the opposite direction, it depresses the microcontrast, so sharpening is necessary.

Digital cameras depressing microcontrast is also the reason why Contax and Leica lenses (rich in microcontrast) do so well with digital. And require less sharpening than Canon EF lenses.