Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any comment for Mamiya Sekor lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Any comment for Mamiya Sekor lenses? Reply with quote

I notice there is not so much comment for Mamiya Sekor lenses (in 135 format), is that a not so-good brand for m42?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SX series are actually very nice. For example, Mamiya Sekor SX 85/2.8 is also branded as Rolleinar 85/2.8 and Voigtlander AR 85/2.8; I am pretty sure there were other lenses Mamiya made for Rollei under license. Not quite up to Zeiss HFT levels, but still very good ones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya M42 lenses were average mostly, but perfectly good users.

Most of the wide, tele and zoom M42 Mamiya lenses before the SX line (the ones with A-M switches and no open-aperture metering pin) seem to have been made by Tokina and rebranded by Mamiya. Going by the equivalent Soligors and Vivitars also made by Tokina, and the Mamiyas I have tried, these are not spectacular, but quite adequate. I don't think there are any turkeys in the Mamiya Sekor line.

As for the 50-55mm "normals" its not clear who made them, but they seem to be very good indeed, in the class of the Takumars, though the build quality is not as fine.

The Tomioka 60mm macro was also sold by Mamiya and this one has a great reputation, though I have never tried it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 50mm and a 55mm that provide decent results. I must remember to use them again some time sooner then later.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some shots with SX 200mm

http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-mamiya-sekor-sx-3-5-200-t18145.html

nothing special but you can see some differences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about FC series? I find it has came in exakta mount. I wan to try it but have no idea where should I begin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 135 mamiya/sekor pre SX.

My copy is very good. Nice cold colors (not warmish like the SX). Sharp from F/3,5 to 11 and useful wide open too.

In my slides the differences between the mamiya and the MC CZJ 3,5:
a) warmish colors of the CZJ. More pleasant cold colors in the mamiya's slides
b) CZJ better in bokeh? Not to my eyes.
c) the mamiya is a very bit sharpest at F/5,6-8 in the center.

That mamiya lens was a very pleasing surprise for my. As much that I sold my CZJ for that reason. I like very much the cold colors of the mamiya 135 mm lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mamiya Sekor 1.8/55 (M42) and it is a nice performer, a little above average. And it is a joy to use, nice built good handling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135mm f/2.8 SX is also very nice, bokeh in the same class if not better than the CZJ, excellent build quality, etc. One of my favourite 135mm's in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a handful of Mamiya glass and I dont have any complaints especially when you consider the price I paid for each lens.

DIRT CHEAP!

Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f2 with extension tube.