Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Auto Takumar 35/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Asahi Auto Takumar 35/3.5 Reply with quote

I was quite curious how this lens performs in comparision with other 35mm Takumars, that is why I decided to get one. Well... the lens is even smaller than the Super / S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5:

Optical performance isn't bad, but definately not stunnig. My copy doesn't hit infinity with my adapter (checked also on split-screen praktica), so I used thinner adapter for testing.

Lens is based on retrofocal tessar-based design. I expected great sharpness and distracticnq bokeh. But the lens performed in a different way.

CA - very well corrected, almost none.

Sharpness - centre is very acceptable even at f/3.5, but sharpeness decreases radially, so corners are softer. I obtained best results at f/11, however per-pixel detail is still not at the level of S-M-C 35/3.5, Super 35/2 "PRO" or Auto 35/2.3.

Bokeh seems to be quite good for a 35mm lens, but OOF lights can show disc with ring-like borders (similar to tessar).

First two shots are taken at f/3.5, last one at f/11. All of them can be viewed in full resolution.

I think this lens is good budget performer, but Super / S-M-C 35/3.5 is sharper to me and its price is very close.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S-M-C Tak 3.5/35 is a hidden gem IMHO.
A fantastic lens which you sometimes can find very very little money!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't have the S-M-C, but the Super Tak which I found sharper than most of my other lenses

Nevertheless it's the Auto Tak that's with me, and so far I like what it does:
( Auto Tak 3.5/35 on Pentax K-x, RAW conv. in LR, no sharpening, no contrast increase )

wide open

original big files can be accessed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622773310185/

cheers,
kuuan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuan that first pic is really good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find samples very good and bokeh not distracting at all

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I find samples very good and bokeh not distracting at all

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Fun little lens Reply with quote

I found this to be a fun little lens. I quite like the colors I get on my Sony alpha, although the aperture ring is a little bit stiff so I dont use it as much as I would like.
Here are a few shots from a recent holiday.
The night shot was at f11 or maybe higher for about 2 secs balanced on a chair and through a glass balcony!
This picture is out of camera, no photoshop.

For interests sake, here is the day time version of the photo, again straight out of camera

looks nice auto levelled, but maybe a bit cool IMHO Wink