Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning week: die, fungus, die!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Cleaning week: die, fungus, die! Reply with quote

This week I had the honor of cleaning two lenses from mild fungus: a SMC Takumar 55mm f/2 and an Olympus 85mm f/2 MC Zuiko Auto-T (the newest addition to my fast portrait prime collection and also my first Zuiko. Wink)

No text, just pictures:

The Zuiko:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Peter - but how to be sure these microscopic fungus spores would also be gone?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spanner !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic Smile
Luckily I never found any fungus on my lenses, but I always wondered how to clean a lens that had fungus. I never know when I'm gonna need to do that... I'll be following this topic, I'm sure I'll learn a lot Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job. i'd like to see a photo of the spanner, whole ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: fungus among us Reply with quote

Klaus raises a big issue; invisible spores will re-inhabit the glass in no time. Wiping it off isn't enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Peter would know to not just wipe the lens...judging by how many he has....plenty of practice Very Happy
Fish I think it's the one sold by Attila.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/MFlenses__W0QQ_armrsZ1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best method to clean fungus?

If it's been on too long it will permanently damage/ruin a lens. It's called etching, I think.

I await your wisdom with fungussy lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Looks good Peter - but how to be sure these microscopic fungus spores would also be gone?

Well, the air we breathe in is always full of fungus spores so I could care less. However, I used some human saliva to clean the fungus' spot and that should do it. Would it ever grow back then it's a matter of minutes to clean it again (I have disassembled and reassembled so many lenses by now that it's like a second nature.)

Fortunately, as I wrote in both cases it was only mild fungus, which was easily wiped off. The coating was not harmed in any way. Of course, there are worse types of fungus which are hard to clean. Especially in the case of fungus in the Canada Balsam there's not much I can do.

The spanner is indeed the one Attila sells (originating from Alex, HK300). I have two sizes, here I have used the smallest size. Definitely a good quality spanner for this type of work!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Well, the air we breathe in is always full of fungus spores so I could care less***

Indeed they are everywhere, and it would be amazing if a fungus, mould etc evolved in the last 200 years specifically for camera lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ever worry about the spores
give your lenses lots of light and some dry air and you will be fine
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the spores are inside all of our lenses already. It's the conditions they are kept in that allow the fungus to grow, he has cleared a visible patch of fungus and it doesn't matter how many dormant spores remain because whilst in his possession the lens will likely never be stored in conditions that will allow the fungus to grow.

The spores are everywhere already! They are just waiting for damp and dark conditions.

You just have to keep your lenses away from humidity, silica gel bags stored with your gear helps, along with a stable temperature and of course regular exposure to UV light!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Leica literature (in the M39 times) recommended the use fo human saliva, like spotmatic did.

In the illustration the man directly supported his mouth on the lens -literally- Shocked

At that time there were no cotonetes?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a great-looking little tool ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Peter! I did clean a few times lenses I did use strongest chemical what I could buy on market to destroy fungus. I kept these lenses none of them showed fungus anymore. I try to store my lenses right I bought many with fungus accidentally and for own usage 90% of them fungus didn't grow in right storage around 10% did grow a bit but not damage lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheap $5 lens with fungus to see if I could fix it. Didn't know anything about taking lenses apart and it looked like more trouble than I had anticipated. Then I got a brilliant idea (I've had them before). I remembered my ant burning days when I was a kid (long ago), so got out my old magnifying glass (you see it coming?). I went out in the bright South Carolina sun and fried the fungus. I'm sure I killed it, but honestly I don't recommend the approach Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***Well, the air we breathe in is always full of fungus spores so I could care less***

Indeed they are everywhere, and it would be amazing if a fungus, mould etc evolved in the last 200 years specifically for camera lenses.

I agree to disagree. Sure are their spores all over, but cleaninga lens wher the fungus has already grown enhances the numbers of spores in close vicinty several 1000 times at least.

If there are special ones which lives off organic substances (or even non-organic) I could only assume, since there sure is a very special micro climate inside a lens, which is very different then free air around.

But I don't want an "intellectual debate" here - if it works, fine, problem solved!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
But I don't want an "intellectual debate" here - if it works, fine, problem solved!!

But I do Smile

So what would then be the best way to kill the fungus? Should each and every part of the lens be disinfected?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I agree to disagree. Sure are their spores all over, but cleaninga lens wher the fungus has already grown enhances the numbers of spores in close vicinty several 1000 times at least.

Probably true but if your other lenses are in a dry place with circulation of air what are the spores going to do, everything living needs water so the spores will eventually die or hibernate (or whatever spores do).

[/quote]If there are special ones which lives off organic substances (or even non-organic) I could only assume, since there sure is a very special micro climate inside a lens, which is very different then free air around.
[/quote]

Well there can't be many lenses sealed from the outside, and if dust can get in a lens, so can spores, and what ever the climate is outside will transfer into the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prevention is better than cure, but as the price of fungus-filled lenses is pretty low on evilbay this is worthwhile to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested to know how to clean fungus from a lens, Google the words "Lens fungus and cold cream" Yes you read correctly cold cream. There are quite a few blogs advising the use of just this to remove fungus from lenses . Here is one

http://k10dpentax.blogspot.com/2009/02/cleaning-fungus-traces-1.html

Interestingly on a related note of weird cleaning tips my Leica M4P viewfinder is cloudy and getting worse not due to fungus but due to some glue or other chemical used in the M4P outgassing something that builds up on the window. Apparently the best means of cleaning it is by removing the top cover then using toothpaste to clean the window from the inside - I confirmed this with my camera guy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have read this about Pond's cold cream. But this does not solve the problem that Klaus is describing, namely to get rid of the remaining fungus spores.

Personally I think it's a moot point. I think the spores can never be fully removed , but I also think the problem will never show itself again if I store my lenses the right way and use them every now and then. Then if the fungus ever grows back I know that I haven't used the lens enough.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, or not, I lost this auction in the last two seconds!

Anyone smell fungus?

http://is.gd/8d96M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Sadly, or not, I lost this auction in the last two seconds!

Anyone smell fungus?

http://is.gd/8d96M

HUH! Bargain for SL66 lenses with a bit of fungus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.macbrosplace.com/we-are-fungus/