Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 135 f2 - AiS + EOS 5D MkII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Nikon 135 f2 - AiS + EOS 5D MkII Reply with quote

My first 'regular' Nikon lens .. on EOS - ehmm.. Smile

well, it has cooler character than Canon FD 135 f2 for sure .. I am not sure about the bokeh ..
what really surprise me is the WHITE BALANCE - it's more accurate when shooting under tungsten .

when stopped down the sharpness comes with brute force..

#1 - f/8 + flash

#2 - f/2

#3 - f/2

#4 - f/8 + flash

#5 - f/8 + flash

#6 - f/2

#7 - f/2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know only one better 135mm lens CZ Contax 135mm f2 , looks great lens really.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely one of my very favourite lenses Stan. You should also try the 105/1.8 if you can get one, it is even better than this one. Canon's WB on my 40D has been a bane, to the point where I leave it on sunny and adjust in PP.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a super lens. I don't have it and neither I have the Canon's, but judging on the pictures, I like the Nikon's much better because of the superior microcontrast.
Bokeh is great in both methinks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read what Marco Cavina wrote of this lens in this article dedicate to Nikon's lens designer Sei Matsui, one of the Nikon's great "lens brains":

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Nikkor_lenses_by_Sei_Matsui/00_pag.htm

(use a translator if you don't understand Italian)

As Marco writes, the Nikkor 2/135 is a peculiar lens, because it stays away from the most used schemes for the 135mm (Planar, Sonnar and I would add also Tessar), and it uses the Ernostar type with 6 elements in 4 groups.

In the Ernostar type, the distance between the last element and the focal plane is very narrow. So narrow that it would have been impossible to make a shorter focal lenght than 135 without having the rear element hit against the mirror.

On Marco's page you can find the graphics of the optical scheme.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link Orio

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples! Definitely a very good lens. #6 is my favourite pic!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all comments!

@ Orio - yes, Marco Carvina is my FAVORITE -- he's great!

I am getting worried that you're right -- the lens is SPECIFIC and with more contrast than Canon.
I didn't touch the contrast too much in LighRoom for these pictures, whereas I did so when adjusting Canon lenses ..
I read that link before I'd bought this lens and looking at the pics on Marco Carvina's page -- and I said yes! it must be good ..

tf