Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

75mm Biotar shot with 83mm Takumar and 85mm Cyclop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: 75mm Biotar shot with 83mm Takumar and 85mm Cyclop Reply with quote

I got the idea from CarbonR, so that's our X-mas tree in the background Wink

A simple portrait of my precious 75mm f/1.5 Biotar, shot with the 83mm f/1.9 Takumar and 85mm f/1.5 Cyclop (Helios-40 innards). Both wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cooooool!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a professional advert.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, plain great Peter! I always use such lights for testing bokeh, now it's pretty easy with all the Xmas lights around.

It's actually point source testing for lenses, so if you look careful, you can see how well designed
the Pentax is and how much vignetting the Cylops has even nearly on-axis.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yep, plain great Peter! I always use such lights for testing bokeh, now it's pretty easy with all the Xmas lights around.

It's actually point source testing for lenses, so if you look careful, you can see how well designed

Indeed Klaus, a test like this is helpful to see if a lens will have a swirly bokeh or not. The Helios-40 is known for its swirly bokeh, and the cause of this can be seen in the specular highlights.

Also the Takumar does not cease to amaze me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, indeed. Didn't you test the 75/1.5 in such conditions ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter this looks great!

kds315* wrote:

hm Klaus, how can you tell?

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Peter this looks great!

kds315* wrote:

best regards,
Andreas

To see what happens:

- Take a roll of WC paper and look through the hole. You see a perfectly circular opening.
- Now tilt the roll a bit. You see that the hole now becomes the shape of a cat-eye.

This is exactly what happens in a lens: some areas of the resulting image cannot see the whole front element of the lens, so specular highlights become cat-eyes and the bokeh becomes swirly. This also causes light fall-off in the corners.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an ad for your Biotar! ..

The background is AMAZING ...

tf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

CarbonR wrote:
Nice shots, indeed. Didn't you test the 75/1.5 in such conditions ?
Smile

I can't, unfortunately, because it's Exakta mount and I cannot fit it on any of my bodies. I don't even own an Exakta Smile

However, a friend is going to create an adapter for me based on a Pentax flangeless adapter (original Asahi M42-K adapter) and the mount of an Exakta extension tube. It won't allow focus to infinity but at least I will be able to mount it to my Pentax...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my eyes the Pentax is much better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Peter this looks great!

kds315* wrote:

best regards,
Andreas

To see what happens:

- Take a roll of WC paper and look through the hole. You see a perfectly circular opening.
- Now tilt the roll a bit. You see that the hole now becomes the shape of a cat-eye.

This is exactly what happens in a lens: some areas of the resulting image cannot see the whole front element of the lens, so specular highlights become cat-eyes and the bokeh becomes swirly. This also causes light fall-off in the corners.

Excellent explanation Peter!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xmas greeting cards for photographer!! Smile Amazing!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison Peter. I would have expected the Cyclop to do rather better, but that Tak is a very hard act to follow

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool!