Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

yashica ml 2.8/135mm. i need help !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: yashica ml 2.8/135mm. i need help ! Reply with quote

this is the link of a cropped picture that i have taken with my eos 5d mark ii and yashica ml 2.8/135mm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4171098161/sizes/o/
please post any comments!

is it sharpen for you ?
could i take pictures with more sharpness ?
could i have more sharpness with canon's UD tele-lenses (135mm 200mm) ?
is it true than the UD tele-lenses have more sharpness (lp/mm) and contrast than old (such jupiter/sonnar carl zeiss jena/sonnar contax ) tele-lenses ?

yashica ml 2.8/135mm -> i don't know the lp/mm
jupiter-21m -> 54 lp/mm center, 36 lp/mm at edges
jupiter 135 -> 52 lp/mm center, 35lp/mm at edges

any idea about resolution of canon ef 2.8/200mm L ?
sometimes when i would take pictures in sud-tirolo with full frame camera, i need to use a 135mm or 200mm lens in order to retrieve the full subject.

thanks for all !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

I need a 4/200mm or 2.8/200mm tele-lens wich can resolve minimum 90-100 lp/mm !
are there any lens with these specifications ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

nobody can help me ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact number of lines per millimeter, however here's a list of lenses that I have tried and I know have very good resolvance:

Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180
Leca Elmarit-R 2.8/180
Contax Vario-Sonnar 4.5-5.6/100-300

These are the lenses that I have personally tried and have the best resolvance amongst my lenses.
Other members will add probably lenses of other brands that they know well and I don't know.

However keep in mind that sharpness is not only determined by resolvance.
Micro-contrast plays an important role as well.
For instance, the Sonnar 2.8/180 is a lens with average resolvance but high micro-contrast, and looks very sharp as well although maybe it might not reach the resolvance threshold that you have set.

-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't know the exact number of lines per millimeter, however here's a list of lenses that I have tried and I know have very good resolvance:

Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180
Leca Elmarit-R 2.8/180
Contax Vario-Sonnar 4.5-5.6/100-300

These are the lenses that I have personally tried and have the best resolvance amongst my lenses.
Other members will add probably lenses of other brands that they know well and I don't know.

However keep in mind that sharpness is not only determined by resolvance.
Micro-contrast plays an important role as well.
For instance, the Sonnar 2.8/180 is a lens with average resolvance but high micro-contrast, and looks very sharp as well although maybe it might not reach the resolvance threshold that you have set.

-

before putting money in the wc, i would like to take some pictures with the lens that you have mentioned !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

for you, is yashica ml 2.8/135mm a good lens ?
i'm awaiting your answers !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Metallaro! One question - what did you focus on when you took the picture in your link? I'm loking at it on my laptop as I write, but it seems that the point of sharpest focus might be somewhere in the trees in the foreground. That would adversely affect the farther distance. But my laptop's not a perfect means to assess these things.

Those Yashica lenses have a good reputation - though I guess the important thing is for you to say if the images meet YOUR requirements when looking at the results.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Hi Metallaro! One question - what did you focus on when you took the picture in your link? I'm loking at it on my laptop as I write, but it seems that the point of sharpest focus might be somewhere in the trees in the foreground. That would adversely affect the farther distance. But my laptop's not a perfect means to assess these things.

Those Yashica lenses have a good reputation - though I guess the important thing is for you to say if the images meet YOUR requirements when looking at the results.

I had used the live-view to do the focusing near "Montanari" ....
maybe is a my error ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4170236986/sizes/o/

another example.
the house for me is in focus.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all.. i did read that you have used LifeView.. freehand or on a tripod?

Second question.. which cam you did use? A FF or Crop cam?
(Means shooting at 135mm or 216mm?)

In this way without more information its hard to answer your question.

The ML 2.8/135mm Yashica has a good reputation and its a nice middle class lens.. a friend of mine did test them again my Yashica DS-M 2.8/135mm and gives him lot better results.

I do know a lot of better lenses, but what exactly is your Question about this lens. It works OK for whats her IQ is.
Try an old 2.8135mm Elmarit oder a Tair 11 2.8/135mm or a CZJ 3.5/135 or a Jupiter 37A... some of them would be far better..

This ML 135mm is exactly what i did say.. a middle class lens.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
First of all.. i did read that you have used LifeView.. freehand or on a tripod?

Second question.. which cam you did use? A FF or Crop cam?
(Means shooting at 135mm or 216mm?)

In this way without more information its hard to answer your question.

The ML 2.8/135mm Yashica has a good reputation and its a nice middle class lens.. a friend of mine did test them again my Yashica DS-M 2.8/135mm and gives him lot better results.

I do know a lot of better lenses, but what exactly is your Question about this lens. It works OK for whats her IQ is.
Try an old 2.8135mm Elmarit oder a Tair 11 2.8/135mm or a CZJ 3.5/135 or a Jupiter 37A... some of them would be far better..

This ML 135mm is exactly what i did say.. a middle class lens.

Cheers
Henry

so jupiter-37a is better than my yashica ?
for the first picture, i have used an eos 5d mark ii mounted on a tripod
for the second picture, i have used an eos 5d mark ii without tripod (free hand)

thank you (all users) very much !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my best 180mm lens, the Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 :

whole size resized:

100% crops:

Of course this lens does not cost like a Yashica...

-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4174390244/sizes/o/
another picture...
i think, it is better than the other ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture looks good to me. But I'm not sure what sort of answer you are looking for...are the pictures OK to you? People have different perceptions of "good" - some prefer saturation and colour rendering and others prefer sharpness.

If you are not happy with results, buy a far more expensive lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
The last picture looks good to me. But I'm not sure what sort of answer you are looking for...are the pictures OK to you? People have different perceptions of "good" - some prefer saturation and colour rendering and others prefer sharpness.

For me good is like the planar 1.4/50mm and the planar t* 1.7/50mm !
I don't like not even the wide-angle lens !
For me yashica ml 2.8/135mm is not contrasty as I would have !
This lens can be use for portraits but I can not use for landscape (panorama,mountains etc)

Can i see some pictures of your landscapes taken with jupiter-21m ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

for me it is more important to have a lens with more contrast/less sharpness than a lens with less contrast/more contrast !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, two options then - shoot in RAW and up the contrast in software (like I and probably others do for lenses that lack in contrast) or buy a more expensive Zeiss Sonnar which may have better coating Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
OK, two options then - shoot in RAW and up the contrast in software (like I and probably others do for lenses that lack in contrast) or buy a more expensive Zeiss Sonnar which may have better coating Smile

i use the eos 5d mark ii with these parameters:
the contrast is increased by 1 to the default value. i think is 1...
the sharpness is setted to 4
the picture style is true image !
the others to 0 !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can still up the contrast in software afterwards... Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
But you can still up the contrast in software afterwards... Cool

also the micro-contrast is not decent !
and this can not be increased by software !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:

i want to take a picture with my eos 5d mark ii + 200mm and it must have more sharpness than this picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/3803067737/sizes/o/

do you understand ?

i am not sure than 135mm as focal length is ideal for me ....

i want a 200mm tele-lens and its resolution must be near the 70-78 lp/mm of my sensor !
or at least below the 70 lp/mm .... near 65 lp/mm !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
Shrek wrote:

i want to take a picture with my eos 5d mark ii + 200mm and it must have more sharpness than this picture:

do you understand ?

i want a 200mm tele-lens and its resolution must be near the 70-78 lp/mm of my sensor !

Metallaro, please calm down. Your anxiety is making me anxious.
Ok we have understood your need.
We already replied.
We have posted the names of several lenses for you, that you can consider.
I have also posted some image samples.
So I don't understand why you keep writing the same thing over and over.
You must first decide how much you want to spend.
This is not clear from your emails.
This is a decisive factor, because it is useless that I tell you about a Leica lens and show you images of a Leica lens, if you can't afford a Leica lens.
So begin to tell us what is your price limit.
When we know that, we can give you a list of lenses.
Otherwise we are going in circles, writing the same things over and over again, and this thread is beginning to be a little annoying.

-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to me, the photos taken with the Yashica 135 are exceptionally sharp. You don't have anything to worry about. It's a good lens, so go enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of lenses for you, that should be at least as good as, or better, than the Yashica ML 135.
Since it's not clear what focal lenght you want (and this is another thing that you should decide), I put both135mm and 180-200mm lenses:

Under 100 Euros:

- Jupiter-37 3.5/135 approx. 30-40 Euros
- Jupiter-21M 4/200 approx. 40-50 Euros
- Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/135 approx. 60-80 Euros
- Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 3.5/135 approx. 70-80 Euros first version, 90-100 Euros multicoated version
- Nikkor pre-AI 3.5/135 approx. 50-70 Euros
- SMC Takumar 3.5/135 approx. 80-90 Euros

Under 200 Euros:
- Carl Zeiss Contax 2.8/135 approx. 150 Euros AE version, 180-200 Euros MM version
- Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8/180 first versions (single coated) approx. 150 Euros

Under 400 Euros:
- Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/135 approx. 250-300 Euros depending on which version
- Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/180 approx. 250-350 depending on which version
- Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8/180 last version (multicoated) 200-300 Euros depending on condition
- Carl Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/180 approx. 350-400 Euros depending on which version
- Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar 3.5/200 approx. 250-300 Euros

More than 400 Euros:
- Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 approx. 600 Euros
- Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 2.8/180 approx. 600-700 Euros

Please note that I know little the Nikon and Pentax teles, and nothing at all the other teles such as Tamron.
So my list is surely incomplete of some great lenses.
I only listed the lenses that I have direct experience of.

-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
metallaro1980 wrote:
Shrek wrote:

do you understand ?

Metallaro, please calm down. Your anxiety is making me anxious.
Ok we have understood your need.
We already replied.
We have posted the names of several lenses for you, that you can consider.
I have also posted some image samples.
So I don't understand why you keep writing the same thing over and over.
You must first decide how much you want to spend.
This is not clear from your emails.
This is a decisive factor, because it is useless that I tell you about a Leica lens and show you images of a Leica lens, if you can't afford a Leica lens.
So begin to tell us what is your price limit.
When we know that, we can give you a list of lenses.
Otherwise we are going in circles, writing the same things over and over again, and this thread is beginning to be a little annoying.

-

the druggist sells the bromide ....
if you are not calm ... taken a zanaprin....
nobody tells to me .... calm down.....

why if i do an enlargement (with photoshop zoom) of a picture taken with yashica... this is horrible and not equal (in terms of mage quality) to one taken with carl zeiss planar 1.4/50mm ?

I hold to specify this (this is the link: http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/rollei/Rolleilenses.htm):
In my opinion, the 50mm f1.4 HFT Auto Planar (969 110) is one of, if not the sharpest, normal lens ever manufactured for a SLR camera, Using this lens, I've taken Kodachrome transparencies from which 20x24" prints of amazing sharpness were made that people cannot believe weren't taken with a large format camera.

I HAVE DONE THIS WITH PLANAR ! NICE RESULTS !
I MUST DO ENLARGEMENTS WITH TELE-LENS !
if this can't be done with expensive tele-lens, then there is not the purpose to use them.
I must use the planar 1.4/50mm and take the pictures of the suject more neighbor.

I think nobody can understand me !
we live in parallel differents words !
so please close this thread !

Last edited by metallaro1980 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total