Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do Any of Our Forum Members Paint?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Do Any of Our Forum Members Paint? Reply with quote

I am considering picking up the paintbrush again, and going forward with more watercolor paintings.

I am curious: Do any of you paint?

Do you use Acrylics, Oils, Watercolors, Pastel Chalks, or other types of mediums?

What kind of canvas sizes do you primarily work with?

What kinds of subjects do you paint the most?

Does anyone want to show their work? Confused

Would like to hear from you all!

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. I did since before I went to school. I am the son of two painters. My father was a professional. My mother painted for hobby but she won many paintings contests over the year, including important national ones.

As for me, I primarily use oils, but I love soft pastels too, and once in a while I indulge in some home made monotypes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry, what a happy coincidence Smile

I loved painting, mainly acrylics and some watercolor, and also pencil as well (but this is not painting...Wink ).
My last work was more than 10 years ago. Work, family and life have taken me out for a while, but I expect to take it back as soon as I can retire.

I put a few samples long ago in my old server, pictures taken by a 2.3 Mpix Minolta DIMAGE, bad lighting..

Just warning that "I like painting" does not mean anything about the quality of what I produced... Having said so, if you want to take a glimpse to the horror gallery, it's at your own. Don't say I didn't warn you before!

http://watersmurf.homelinux.com/gallery

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did when I was younger. I experimented with water colours, oil on canvas but mostly was drawing instead of painting. There was a time when I wanted to become a graphic designer.
But later I left painting for photography.

My parents still have some of my paintings on the wall. But that doesn't say anything, they are my parents and they would keep these pictures even if they looked like painted by a monkey. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I do. I did since before I went to school. I am the son of two painters. My father was a professional. My mother painted for hobby but she won many paintings contests over the year, including important national ones.

As for me, I primarily use oils, but I love soft pastels too, and once in a while I indulge in some home made monotypes.

Wow, Orio, nice curriculum!
Would you show us some samples?.

What I most liked of drawing/painting was that after a while I was entering in a relaxing concentration state that isolated me from the world... I miss that feeling...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

My parents still have some of my paintings on the wall. But that doesn't say anything, they are my parents and they would keep these pictures even if they looked like painted by a monkey. Wink

That's really how look mine Laughing..
But I'm not ashamed of it. Not everybody can be a Picasso, every one has to do according his/her capabilities. I think the most important issue is enjoying the experience, (not the final result). Anyway, if the final result is good, much better...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't say so, Jes. I like your paintings. I think the pencil drawings show an intelligent reduction of details and the crayons (these are crayons, aren't they?) have a fresh usage of colours to them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Don't say so, Jes. I like your paintings. I think the pencil drawings show an intelligent reduction of details and the crayons (these are crayons, aren't they?) have a fresh usage of colours to them.

Very kind of you, Carsten Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved art.
Painting I've always been so so . . .
I had taken art through my 5 years of High School, and a year or 2 of college graphics.
A little while ago I had Lana demonstrate some of the regular techniques with watercolours - just haven't had the time or umpf to give it a try. She's one with skill I'd like to see her use more often. I can tend to be self taught on much.
I've always been more of a sketcher - I can produce some decent stuff at times - pencil, pen and ink, & artist quality coloured pencils (I even picked up some pastels a couple years ago oil + chalk).[In H.S. I worked in charcoal and conte as well.]

Art is something that I keep wanting to get back into, but just can't seem to do it.
Larry I think you're the one that noted quite a while ago I'm very busy Smile

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In school I used to sketch and shade with pencils.

I can not paint, unless it is by numbers. Shocked

I do drafting and mechanical drawings for a living and not the CAD drawings that the new age of cheaters do Very Happy Mine are all done on a drawing board with actual pencils and straight edges. I am 'Old School' Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I had a hunch you were an artist of some sort by your handwriting!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
In school I used to sketch and shade with pencils.

As did I.

Quote:
I do drafting and mechanical drawings for a living and not the CAD drawings that the new age of cheaters do Very Happy Mine are all done on a drawing board with actual pencils and straight edges. I am 'Old School' Cool

I did this at school in the same traditional style as you Mike as in my day there was no such thing as CAD. I never took it beyond school into a work environment though, although I did use the skills to design model aircraft which I then built and flew.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, it's the education I chose and I made a living of it for a while. Then I slipped into webdesign and education out of interest and got an education in that too.

The medium I chose depend of circumstances, when I had a studio I did big oils. Now I draw and try learning to paint with the camera Smile I don't think the medium should matter much, your expression does. I haven't learned enough about photography to feel my expression in the photographs though - even if I feel I have come a far way on short time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit of my art work... LOL

This is as good as I get folks..
I was practicing with a new airbrush... Looks like I need a bit more practice. Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother is an amazing artist, but she hasn't done anything in a very long time.

This, sadly, is where my painting talent begins and ends:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch !
Haley, tell me that's the primer coat Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunatelly i am not a painter.

Thats why i decided long time ago to take a camera in my hands.
This did offer me, to show some things i would never ever could paint.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pencil and charcoal plus a little bit of calligraphy and engineering drawing in my youth.

Good enough to get 'O' grades ('70's school leaving qualification) in Art & Design and Technical Drawing but nothing since.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife did it long time before , now she use computer only for her design work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Ouch !

Nope! That's my honeydew green living room. I shouldn't mention the purple wall, should I?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice watercolors, Badgerhill! I too am a big fan of WWII aviation and military aviation in general.

I've been an artist my entire life, which explains in part my attraction to photography. I used to hate painting, but I have become more fond of it in recent years. It requires as much patience as skill, and as much skill as talent. I always enjoy a challenge, so maybe that's another reason why I like painting.

I've only had a few lessons in oil painting, otherwise I'm entirely self-taught as an artist. Here are a few of mine. The white "snow" is glare caused by my use of a flash.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haley wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Ouch !

Nope! That's my honeydew green living room. I shouldn't mention the purple wall, should I?

Yes, you should mention the purple wall AND show us the wall! Would
also like to see the honeydew green living room wall as finished. It's
great to see someone taking a chance and going bold on colors. White
is so...typical. Smile