Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Train station & street / 1937 Certo + Xenar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Train station & street / 1937 Certo + Xenar Reply with quote

A roll of Kodak 100TMX, developed in T-max, scanned with the Epson 4490. 1937 Certo Super Sport Dolly with a Xenar 7.5cm f/2.8 lens.

I shot this for the light bloom from the windows - the sun was setting and shining through. 1/50sec f/5.6. I had a difficult time deciding just how dark to make the photo.

Facing the other way in the old hall of the Hoboken Erie Lackawanna station waiting room. 1/50sec f/3.5. The lens gets soft at this aperture, but the frame size is huge, extending into the film id text... so a true 6x6 frame would be just the center bits.

For these, I attempted street shooting - Somehow I have the image of doing this with a vintage Contax RF Wink Since the range finder's still unadjusted, I guess focused too close. For this type of shooting I'm thinking all I really need is to pre-focus accurately at a distance, and then trip the shutter when something interesting happens at that distance.

People don't really seem to mind antique cameras, being conditioned to seeing SLRs and digicams these days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice selection and very out of time images 1 -2 -4. if its your development then congrats too. I like 4th the most cause this girl attitude has this little something compare to the other walkers, she give its image her own print ( haha ) . nice shots, even if a 50mm could have been precious in street images.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like second one, nice contrast and sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks... I'm enjoying this camera, though I think I'll need to get it restored properly at some point - it would be nice to use the RF feature on it.

Two more from the roll.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 1938 ad for the camera - mine's the one in the bottom right corner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed. The focussing for most of the shots is fine, even without the rangefinder, especially the station interior and the steps/columns.

Why the different colour casts, was that your choice?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - the color casts are choice, often I'll go with what the scanner slops on. By and large I'm not a big believer in 'pure' b&w, I like at least a hint of tone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good choice then. The hint of sepia in the last pic is relaxing on the eye. I'm hoping to get that sort of thing when I try developing in coffee Smile