Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Train station & street / 1937 Certo + Xenar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Train station & street / 1937 Certo + Xenar Reply with quote

A roll of Kodak 100TMX, developed in T-max, scanned with the Epson 4490. 1937 Certo Super Sport Dolly with a Xenar 7.5cm f/2.8 lens.

I shot this for the light bloom from the windows - the sun was setting and shining through. 1/50sec f/5.6. I had a difficult time deciding just how dark to make the photo.

Facing the other way in the old hall of the Hoboken Erie Lackawanna station waiting room. 1/50sec f/3.5. The lens gets soft at this aperture, but the frame size is huge, extending into the film id text... so a true 6x6 frame would be just the center bits.

For these, I attempted street shooting - Somehow I have the image of doing this with a vintage Contax RF Wink Since the range finder's still unadjusted, I guess focused too close. For this type of shooting I'm thinking all I really need is to pre-focus accurately at a distance, and then trip the shutter when something interesting happens at that distance.

People don't really seem to mind antique cameras, being conditioned to seeing SLRs and digicams these days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice selection and very out of time images 1 -2 -4. if its your development then congrats too. I like 4th the most cause this girl attitude has this little something compare to the other walkers, she give its image her own print ( haha ) . nice shots, even if a 50mm could have been precious in street images.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like second one, nice contrast and sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks... I'm enjoying this camera, though I think I'll need to get it restored properly at some point - it would be nice to use the RF feature on it.

Two more from the roll.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 1938 ad for the camera - mine's the one in the bottom right corner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed. The focussing for most of the shots is fine, even without the rangefinder, especially the station interior and the steps/columns.

Why the different colour casts, was that your choice?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - the color casts are choice, often I'll go with what the scanner slops on. By and large I'm not a big believer in 'pure' b&w, I like at least a hint of tone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good choice then. The hint of sepia in the last pic is relaxing on the eye. I'm hoping to get that sort of thing when I try developing in coffee Smile