Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xenar 7.5cm f/2.8 1937 - Certo Super Sport Dolly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Xenar 7.5cm f/2.8 1937 - Certo Super Sport Dolly Reply with quote

from the test roll - shot entirely without a meter! (pride goeth...)

The xenar by its serial # is from 1937. There's still a leak in the bellows, and I never did get the range finder fully calibrated... but the lens cleaned up well etc. It is an interesting helical focus folder. I think I'll see about getting this one restored by a professional, as it does need new bellows, the Compur Rapid needs a thorough CLA, and I couldn't figure out just how to adjust the coupled RF.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks absolutely beautiful! Which film did you use and what scanner ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results! I once owned a prewar Certo Super Dollina with uncoated 5cm f/2 Xenon, but somehow I got rid of it. The focusing was cumbersome though, as the coupled rangefinder was super dark and also completely off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - film is Fuji 160NPS slightly expired, the scan's a small one by Magnolia Digital in Hoboken, NJ who processed the film.

Here's another sample, for this I used the rf focusing on the near edge of the bench. You can see the actual focus is further out... f/8 or so at 1/200 sec, 160NPS

The Super Dollinas look very nice - I have the Retina IIa with a f/2 Xenon, post war of course and coated. I do like the Retina and use it fairly often.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! It produce great result!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I estimated the distance with this shot, and I shot the whole roll without the help of a light meter. In the case of these statues, my exposure is better than the auto exposure of the scanner - I have to let the background go over exposed to have correct exposure on the stone.

I think I left the shutter at 1/200 so the aperture would have been around f/4 for this shot.

Another cool thing about this folder - it takes the Retina filters and lens shade. And I happen to have just such a set Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very lucky that you have a shade for this. I'm still looking for something
that will be more permanent than one made from heavy black construction
paper for my Bessa. Looking good, Nesster!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lens is that on the Bessa? Or can you measure it or find the size, as I may have something...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
What lens is that on the Bessa? Or can you measure it or find the size, as I may have something...

Well, dumkin Bill left it at work, but will let you know Wednesday morning.
Wasn't planning on using it on my days off this time. A friend on another
forum (RFF) simply uses a yellow filter with a cut-down rubber hood that
he holds in place to make the shot. With color he uses a CP polarizer with
same hood. He's made some REALLY nice shots in both mediums so I can't
fault his methods. And no flare anywhere...

That's something I can try straightaway as I have the parts.

FWIW my Bessa has the 4.5/105 Helomar