Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

contax 137md won't focus to infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: contax 137md won't focus to infinity Reply with quote

I have a number of bodys but only one that won't focus to infinity with any lens. This contax 137md has been re-sealed and re-leathered, and looks nice. Hate to not use, but need to fix. The focus when taking pictures appears to focus properly on the film but is off when looking thru the finder. When looking at the splitimage you can't quite get it to show infinity. And it shows "correct" focus at about 12 inchs lens to object ,to close! What needs to fixed in the focusing screen/mirror area (if that)??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is an easy registration work to do at home without precision instruments, and given the used value of the camera, I don't think it's worth to send it to servicing for pricey repair. I would just buy another one (or an equivalent Yashica body) from the Ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum so please let me know if I mess up! The effective distance from lens to screen is too great. This means the mirror is too low or the screen is too high. I've had to deal with both on many occasions but the usual cause is a prior attempt to clean either, ie. pressing too hard down on the mirror or up on the screen. The lower mirror stop is usually on one or both sides of the mirror box and damped in one of a number of ways. If it's a 45 deg. shelf look for a missing pad, if it's a short, springy prong look for a missing plastic sleeve. The screen is usually held down in its frame by fairly weak springs - degraded light-trap or mirror buffer foam can be enough to stop the screen locating properly. Spend some time looking for clues in good light, a 50mm. lens is about right to use for close inspection. I stopped repairing photographic equipment in '01 so can't be more specific on the 137 - memory's not what it was - sorry. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemack wrote:
Hi, new to the forum so please let me know if I mess up! The effective distance from lens to screen is too great. This means the mirror is too low or the screen is too high. I've had to deal with both on many occasions but the usual cause is a prior attempt to clean either, ie. pressing too hard down on the mirror or up on the screen. The lower mirror stop is usually on one or both sides of the mirror box and damped in one of a number of ways. If it's a 45 deg. shelf look for a missing pad, if it's a short, springy prong look for a missing plastic sleeve. The screen is usually held down in its frame by fairly weak springs - degraded light-trap or mirror buffer foam can be enough to stop the screen locating properly. Spend some time looking for clues in good light, a 50mm. lens is about right to use for close inspection. I stopped repairing photographic equipment in '01 so can't be more specific on the 137 - memory's not what it was - sorry. Good luck!

Nice to have you here. You will probable get a lot of questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UNCLEMACK for the informative reply! I found the mirror stop stud for the lower/viewing position, it is on the lefthand side of the mirror box (when viewing from VF) I tried to adjust it before I noticed a missing "plastic" cover for the stop. Embarassed Borrowing a cover from a parts body, I fixed it!!