Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infinity focus - what is right
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Infinity focus - what is right Reply with quote

I am having some problems regarding infinity.

I have been sanding a adaptor, and I would like to hear your option. Have I gone to far or am I still not there.

The lens is Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 and the 2 pictures are just some snapshots from my garden. Things to look at is the blue rope and the blue traffic sign i the back. There is about 20 meters to the blue rope.

Shoot at f1.4 for testing reasons.

Link to Flickr because I think full size is necessary.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lahnet/sets/72157601583153930/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy to tell for sure as the Tak is quite flaring. It looks correct however.
Maybe try to repeat the test stopping down a half-stop, that should be enough to remove most of the flaring while not significantly changing the DOF.

Also adviseable to make another test with a different M42 lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, its perfect.. I can see the crossing sign and read the number plater (OJ--, I think).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pictures worry me slightly. My S-Tak 1.4/50 is quite a lot sharper and has less flare wide open. Is it possible you have a loose element or maybe one that's reversed? My copy was fairly soft too until I realised there was a loose lens retaining ring.

I'm also curious why you need to sand the adapter. Could the problem be because on this lens the large the rear element protrudes beyond the mount quite a lot when the lens is at infinity?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the focus point move further away from picture 1 to 2. Because of that I think is fair to conclude the sanding is necessary....or?

I will try to shoot more pictures tomorrow using this Takumar and a Pancolar 50mm/1.8.

I am thinking to shoot these test pictures using f2 settings on bots lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
You can see the focus point move further away from picture 1 to 2. Because of that I think is fair to conclude the sanding is necessary....or?

I agree it appears the lens can't get close enough to the film/sensor to focus on infinity. But is this really because the thickness of the adapter is inaccurate and needs to be ground down? If it was designed to fit M42 lenses on your camera mount I think this is very unlikely and there might be another reason.

I have an adapter which prevents the Takumar 1.4/50 from reaching infinity. It's not because it's too thick, and for all other lenses it works perfectly. The Takumar has a large rear element that protrudes beyond the mounting flange, through the hole in the adapter, when focussing on infinity. The hole in the adapter is too small to allow the lens to pass through completely. Here's a pic:

I don't use the lens with this adapter, but if I needed to it would be a simple job to enlarge the hole slightly to allow the lens free movement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd: I can see the problem when using the adapter in the piture. Thank you for making me aware of this.

However the adaptor I use is not that type and is is impossible that this is the reason.

The need for sanding adaptors to reach infinity is quite common on Minolta and Sony DSLR.
If someone would like to read more:
http://dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3714

I NOW have uploaded more pictures and would like you all Very Happy to take a look and tell me if infinity is as good as possible.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lahnet/sets/72157601583153930/detail/
A tripod has been used, all pics. are untouched and have the same WB.

Pictures shoot using Super-Takumar 50/1.4 : at f1.4 - 2.8 - 8
Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50/1.8 : at f1.8 - 2.8 - 8

I think i am ok but.... maybe not.

Btw. the Tak seem a little sharper than the Zeiss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Thanks, I didn't know about this problem with M42/Minolta adapters. It's surprising they're so inaccurate, is there a reason or are they just poorly made?

The focus looks fine to me at f8 but I'm not sure about the 2.8 shots. It might not be a bad idea to take a little more off the thickness than you need. I actually prefer it if the lens goes slightly past infinity - I don't trust every adapter to work perfectly with every lens, and if I can't focus past infinity I don't know for sure whether I could achieve better focus when I hit the stop. But you also have the strength of the adapter to think about! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they just are poorly made Crying or Very sad